-

Thursday, October 4, 2007

Eat More Cranberries!

When I popped out of bed this morning I had all intentions of writing about National Pasta Month. Oh goody! I thought pasta is universal. Everyone LOVES pasta. Not me. Now don't get me wrong, I don't detest it. I just don't like it. I think it has something to do with my childhood. I was raised in an Italian household. We had spaghetti & meatballs every Sunday. On Fridays, we either had broccoli & macaroni, peas & macaroni, or beans & macaroni. Wednesday was also Spaghetti Day thanks to Prince. Pasta! Pasta! Pasta! During the 1980s, macaroni, which was traditionally considered a "blue-collar" down-home meal, was transformed into the more upscale "pasta." For all you pasta lovers' out there, who exclaim I Love Pasta! enjoy pasta all month, every month. Me, I'm gonna eat more cranberries.

This little booklet has a copyright date of 1936. It was published by The American Cranberry Exchange. I thought since October is also National Cranberry Month, as proclaimed by the United States Department of Agriculture, why not talk about craneberries. (that's not a typo) Cranberries, according to legend, were once called craneberries because their blossoms are shaped like a crane's neck and head. Here's another little tidbit from the booklet:

It is recorded in the history of Massachusetts that the early colonists sent ten barrels of cranberries across the seas as a gift to their sovereign, Charles the Second. Thus, nearly 300 years ago, our forefathers gave testimony of their high regard for the vivacious berry that grew in the lowlands of Cape Cod.
There are many websites that pay tribute to the bouncing berry. So for now, I'm just going to include a recipe from this booklet and a list of resources for you to explore.

Cranberry Cookies

1 cup Cranberry Sauce
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
2 cups flour
1 tea. baking powder
1/2 teas. salt
1/2 teas. vanilla
Cream sugar & shortening, add well beaten egg, flour, baking powder, and salt. Add vanilla last. Chill dough, roll out very thin on slightly floured board and cut with round floured cookie cutter. Place 1 teaspoonful of cranberry sauce on cookie round. Then place on top cookie round from which center has been cut out. Press edges together firmly with tines of fork. Bake 350 for 10 to 15 minutes.

Resources:
  1. The Cranberry Lady
  2. Bouncing Berries
  3. Professorshouse Food
  4. Bogged Down in Cranberries
  5. Cranberry Museum
  6. Eat a Cranberry Day is Nov. 23rd!
  7. Cranberry Spice Cake from Famous Cranberry Dishes over @ Rochelle's Vintage Recipes blog.

0 Nibbles:

Post a Comment

Through this wide opened gate,
none came to early,
none returned to late.

Thanks for dropping in...Louise