-

Saturday, October 13, 2007

In Search of Pickled Peppers

"One of the very nicest things about life is
the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and
devote our attention to eating"

Luciano Pavarotti & William Wright, Pavarotti, My Own Story

So I'm surfing around looking for a link that actually verifies it's Pickled Pepper Month or even just pickled pepper week. I have it in my notes. Doesn't anyone else know it's pickled pepper whatever? So, what do I find? Well, first I end up on this website that has a whole thread going on about pickled pepper day but nothing about pickled peppers. Unless, of course, you count the peter piper pickled pepper tongue twister. Okay, that's not what I want. Let me try the I love Pickles website it's in my bookmarks anyway. Tons of stuff about pickles, including lots of recipes, but, no pickled pepper day or month. Maybe they know of a pickled pepper festival somewhere. Nope, lots of festival stuff but no pickled peppers. There is, however, a link to a site about a sauerkraut festival in Waynesville, Ohio. I'll check that out. Maybe they know something about pickled peppers. Nope. It looks like a great festival though. It seems to be well preserved considering it's the 38th annual sauerkraut festival. Just a note for next year, it's always held the second full week in October. Oh wait, I found a pickle festival in Mt. Olive, North Carolina. Perhaps, they know about pickled pepper month/day. No, no, no, but, they do have a yearly pickle festival held the last full weekend in April. Hmm...26th-28th in 2008.

Back to searching....

I know I should have tried this first. After all, I've been searching these kinds of things since probably 1998. Much harder then. So, I went to wikipedia. Sure enough, there it was right before my eyes. October is Pickled Pepper Month! Hurray, let me harvest some recipes. Now, I can't say I have ever pickled a pepper. There are so many varieties of peppers. Which kind would I pickle? Are there certain peppers that are better to pickle than others? Well, I'll be brined. Hot, Sweet, Chilies, Pimiento, Hungarian, Banana, Jalapeno, there are just so many. If you happen to have a peck hanging around, I did manage to find a website called How to Make Your Own Pickled Peppers, complete with directions and photos. 

After visiting so many websites, I really got curious about the pickled pepper tongue twister. It isn't possible to pick a peck of pickled peppers. Or, is it? Let's say, Peter managed to pick a peck of pickled peppers. According to the Mt. Olive website, if he picked a peck of banana peppers, he'd have 20-24. Well, I'm thinking, when was Peter picking these peppers. Did they even call them banana peppers in Peter's day? Time to find out. What exactly is a peck? A peck is equalled to 8 quarts, 4 pecks equal 1 bushel. Whew! thanks to the Food Measuring Calculator for that answer. To my delight, I found the answer to all my Peter Piper questions reading this discussion of peppercorns. As the author states, "you will understand why Peter's last name is "Piper," what kind of peppers he picked, and how many." Mystery solved?

Today is the anniversary of The Happy Birthday Song. You know that melody that's sung pretty much all over the world. Rumor has it that The Guinness Book of World Records states "Happy Birthday to You" is the most popular song in the English language. The song seems to carry much controversy about copyright dates and infringement use. Too much for my little head to digest. The melody was written way back in 1893 by two kindergarten teachers, which also happen to be sisters. Patty and Mildred Hill published it as "Good Morning To All" in the book Song Stories for the Kindergarten. You can find out more about the Happy Birthday Song at the Treat A Week Recipe blog, which also happens to have an amazing recipe for Triple Layer Chocolate Coconut Cake. Or try some kindergarten cookies.

Resources:

0 Nibbles:

Post a Comment

Through this wide opened gate,
none came to early,
none returned to late.

Thanks for dropping in...Louise