-

Saturday, October 6, 2007

Yankee Doodle Noodle

What's this you say? Ever since Thursday, I've been nagging at myself; "You should have done more to help celebrate National Pasta Month." So, I did some surfing and found In Mamma's Kitchen. In Mamma's Kitchen has an interesting approach to the layers of romance that salt the history of macaroni, especially in the US. Below is an excerpt:

"Yankee" was a mispronunciation of the word "English" in the Dutch language, and "doodle" came from a German word meaning 'simpleton.' In the pre-Revolutionary era, the dandified British macaronis scoffed at the colonialists, and called them Yankee Doodles. In derision, they laughed at the unfashionable colonialists who might stick a feather in their hat and consider themselves in style. Not to be scoffed at, the colonialists picked up the song as a rallying cry for independence, and Yankee Doodle entered the history of the United States. After the success of the Battle of Bunker Hill, verses were added lauding George Washington and his valiant fighting men. The song became part of the the quest for freedom with choruses that changed as the war for independence went on.
Note: There are those who suggest that in 18th century England, macaroni was a synonym for perfection and excellence. Ala magnificent! which would almost explain why the feather in Yankee Doodle's cap was called macaroni.

So, after looking up noodle in the dictionary, I came up with the title for this post and decided to celebrate National Noodle Day. Okay, I'll briefly explain my deduction. Noodle is slang for the human head, noodle is slang for a weak or foolish person (simpleton), noodle is a ribbon-shaped pasta. (sorta like a feather) and the word German word nudel (which entered the English language in the 18th century) are all relative. I told you it would be brief:) All right, I'll take it one step further. Today, is also German-American Day! We all know that noodles are a favorite food in Germany. I suppose this is a good time to mention that a 4,000-year-old bowl of noodles was unearthed in China and is the earliest example ever found of one of the world's most popular foods...more.

I wish I had my copy of the White House Cook Book readily available. Actually, I have 2 editions. One which is in German. I would have posted a few of the recipes for translation. I'll have to dig it out. Instead, I offer you a few websites to help you celebrate National Noodle Day & German American Day.

Want to really have a celebration event? Drink ale with your meal. Canada Dry Ginger Ale is 100 years old in 2007. It says so at The Golden Age of Advertising. A very cool website.

Resources
  • 1. Germany's second largest noodle manufacturer may be coming to America.
  • 2. Abigail's German Food Recipes
  • 3. Cheese Spaetzle
  • 4. Prohibition, Gin & Ginger-Ale @ Months of Edible Celebrations
  • 5. Yankee Doodle Sweet Potato Pie

0 Nibbles:

Post a Comment

Through this wide opened gate,
none came to early,
none returned to late.

Thanks for dropping in...Louise