-

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Prize Winning Banana Pudding Pie

Almost immediately after I posted Bananas Take A Bow on Thursday, I received the following comment:

Hello Louise,
I am so excited to see you speak about bananas. My children, of course, absolutely love bananas. As for me, one of my all time favorite foods, well desserts, incidentally, for me a dessert could quite easily replace any meal, anytime... so my favorite is Banana Pudding Pie. But the catch is that it HAS got to be made from scratch and there is no going around it. No boxed banana pudding... it is the real stuff for me. It's a to die for, farely easy recipe. If you or any of your readers are interested in please let me know. Thanks again.

I had to smile to myself when I read the comment and of course, I had to respond.

Hello frutlup, (Pumpkin)
With an introduction such as yours, you better be sending me that recipe, yesterday:) There's just one "catch." Include a picture of your tempting dessert with my darling grandchildren in the pic and I will happily post it. Only kidding, but do give them kisses & hugs for me:)
P.S. Hey everyone, I'd like you to "meet" my daughter, Michele (frutlup)

Without further ado, I would like to introduce you to Michele's winning recipe:

This picture was taken at our 2007 Family Reunion Bake Contest. The Banana Pudding Pie that I made won the first prize. The second prize was taken by a Marble Cheesecake which has won various awards in other Bake Contests, so I am going to assume that my Pie must be pretty good in order to beat out the cheesecake. But then again, it was family, so they very well could be biased. Nonetheless, this pie recipe is very good. I found it to be fairly easy to prepare and even a friend of mine that DOES NOT like to bake made it and said she had no problems with it. She even said it was very well worth the time. If she can do it, then so can anyone else. Enjoy!!!!

Banana Pudding Pie

Cookie Crust
Ingredients:
1 (12 oz.) box Vanilla Wafers, divided ½ c. butter, melted
2 large bananas, sliced

Set aside 25 Vanilla Wafers; finely crush remaining wafers in food processor or place cookies in a Ziploc bag and crush with a mallet. (Yield about 2 ½ cups.) Stir together crushed cookies and melted butter until blended. Firmly press on bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake at 350º for 10-12 minutes. Let cool about 30 minutes. Then arrange banana slices evenly over bottom of crust. Prepare Vanilla Cream Filling.


Vanilla Cream Filling
Ingredients:
¾ c. sugar ⅓ c. all purpose flour
2 large eggs 4 egg yolks
2 c. milk 2 tsp. vanilla

Off the heat in a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients, except vanilla. Gently whisk. Heat pan to medium-low. Whisk constantly, about 8-10 minutes or until reaches the thickness of chilled pudding. (Mixture will just begin to bubble and will thicken enough to hold soft peaks when whisk is lifted.) Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Use immediately – Pour half of hot filling over bananas. Top with about 20 vanilla wafers. Spread remaining filling over vanilla wafers. (Filling will be about ¼ inch higher than top of crust.) Cover with aluminum foil and bake once again for about 10-12 minutes. Let cool at least one hour. Top with Whipping Cream.

To prepare Whipping Cream
Ingredients:
14 oz. Heavy Whipping Cream Sugar to taste - start with about 1/4 cup

Beat whipping cream on highest speed until thickens. Slowly add sugar, 1 Tbsp. at a time until it is the sweetness you like. Cream is done when it holds stiff peaks. Try not to over beat. Coarsely crush remaining Vanilla Wafers and sprinkle evenly over top of pie. Chill 4 hours.

The family reunion Michele "speaks" of is her husband's family reunion. It is held clear across the country in Idaho. Michele has promised to make me the pie when I go to Idaho for my five year old grand daughter's first ever dance recital in May.

In case you missed Bananas Take A Bow, it is the next post below.

Well, it's back to New York today. I wish I would have had time to post for Thomas Jefferson's birthday which along with Catherine de Medici is today but, alas, no can do. I did post a recipe for Jefferson's Rum Omelet on President's Day back in February. Here is the recipe in case you missed it.

Thomas Jefferson
April 13, 1743
Jefferson's Rum Omelet
6 eggs beaten 2 tbs. butter
1/2 tsp. salt 2 tbs. confectioner's sugar
3 tbs. sugar 4 tbs. apricot preserves
4 tbs. rum
Add salt sugar and 2tbs. of rum to beaten eggs. Beat again until fluffy. Heat butter in omelet pan, pour in egg mixture, cook until firm, lifting up from sides. When firm throughout but still a little moist, fold over, slip onto warm platter. sprinkle with confectioner's sugar. Make a sauce of remaining rum and preserves. Pour over omelet.

See you all Monday for Pecan Day!

Resources
  • 1 Thomas Jefferson Beef Soup
  • 2 Recipes from the President's Kitchen
  • 3 Thomas Jefferson & the History of Wine in Virginia

2 comments:

  1. Now this is the kind of dessert I grew up on! Nothing better than vanilla wafers and creamy pudding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi T.W.

    Thanks so much for visiting. I'm expecting to indulge in a huge piece(s) when I visit in May.

    ReplyDelete

Through this wide opened gate,
none came to early,
none returned to late.

Thanks for dropping in...Louise