-

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Recipes for Maundy Thursday

Easter, the most important holy day in the Christian year, is quickly approaching and I still haven't decided where I am going to be or who I will be sharing the weekend with. That's one of the problems when I come here to PA, I haven't quite adjusted to the fact that most of my family still lives in New York. Of course, my son is here. However, since I gave him no prior "warning" to my impromptu trip to PA this week, he and his wife have plans for most of the weekend except for tomorrow night, Good Friday. Oh, I could go with them to Kyla's mom's house for Easter but I probably won't. I'm not much of a social butterfly when it comes to dining, especially on holidays. I would much prefer to have company than to be the guest:)

It seems I was in Pennsylvania last Easter also. I only know this because I was looking at the post I did last year. I'm not going to make you go back in time to that post but in case you missed it, I did leave a recipe for Easter Lily Canapes. I haven't quite figured out how to make separate pages for recipes yet when it comes to blogging and today is not the day. So I think I will leave it here once again for your enjoyment. I can attest to this recipe. I have "whipped" it up myself on more than one occasion with much success.

Easter Lily Canapes
2 oz. salmon paste
2 eggs, hard-boiled
3/4 tbs. butter
1/8 tsp. salt
pinch pepper
12-1/2" squares of bread
12-2" strips green pepper cut 1/8" long
1-3 1/2 oz. bottle cocktail onions
1-5 3/4 oz jar cocktail shrimp
Watercress garnish
1/2 cup butter melted
1 tsp. lime juice
Mince egg whites, mash yolks of eggs and mix to paste with butter, salt and pepper. Slice day old bread, remove crusts and spread with salmon paste. Shape like cone or lily. Use hors d' oeuvre sticks to hold shape until used. Fill partly with minced egg-white. Make small balls of the egg yolk mixture and place one ball in each cone. Use strips of green pepper for stems of lillies.

Make a nest of watercress in one corner of a tray and fill with cocktail onions. Make another nest of watercress in opposite corner of tray and fill with shrimps. Arrange croquette stars around outside edge of nests.

Serve a dish of hot sauce of melted butter, lime juice and peper in which to dip the shrimp. Arrange the lily canapes along the side of the tray and garnish with watercress.
American Cookery Magazine April, 1939

I would also like to drop off a recipe for Communion Bread for Maundy Thursday or Holy Thursday from a cookbook I have spoken of before; We Gather Together. Depending on where you are celebrating this Easter season, Maundy Thursday, the day before Good Friday may be expressed in assorted terms. To some, it is Spring Tonic Day, Green Thursday, or Easter Thursday. I don't feel comfortable discussing religious holidays in depth on this blog, so I will share from We Gather Together.

On this day we commemorate the institution of the Eucharist, the Last Supper shared by our Lord with his disciples. At this time the Jewish Passover became the chief way in which Christians would "re-call" their Lord and Savior. In the Latin ritual for the ceremony of the foot washing, which is still done by the Pope in Rome, the antiphon begins: Mandatum novum do vobis A New commandment I give you. It is believed that the word maundy comes from this phrase.
Communion Bread
Pour 2 cups boiling water over:
1 cup All-Bran cereal
3/4 shortening
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
Cool this mixture to lukewarm.
2 pkgs. dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
2 eggs slightly beaten
6-1/2-7 cups flour
Dissolve dry yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add yeast mixture to other cooled mixture. Add eggs; then add 6-1/2-7 cups flour. In greased bowl allow mixture to rise twice its size. Put on greased cookie sheet or greased bread pan. Let rise about 1/2 hour. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes; be careful not to overdo. Makes 3 loaves.
NOTE: If you do not want to use all the dough, you may keep it in the refrigerator covered with a damp cloth, for 4 days, no longer.

Good Friday comes this month, the old woman runs
With one-a-penny, two-a-penny Hot Cross Buns
Whose virtue is, if you believe what's said
They'll not grow mouldy like the common bread!

Tomorrow is Good Friday and another day associated with yet another "bread." Hot Cross Buns. The Old Wives Tale that Hot Cross Buns don't get moldy is only one belief linked with Good Friday. Some believe planting potatoes on Good Friday will make for a healthy crop. There are many Hot Cross Bun recipes posted along the bunny trail, so for now, I leave you while I decide what I want to do for Easter Sunday.

Resources
1. Maundy Thursday
2. Scrambled Pasta & Spring Greens
3. Bavarian Herb Soup (Krautlsuppe)
4.Green Gazpacho

18 comments:

  1. Great post Louise. I did have plans to make some sorrel soup today, for Maunday Thursday, but I don't think I'll have time. I'm fasting until tea time on Good Friday, but then it'll be Hot Cross Buns galore...also fish pie for dinner. I get over-excited when I get to combine good food with church festivals, make of that what you will!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome to spend Easter at the Pond!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh. I like the look of that canape recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dulce,
    After posting this morning, I mixed up a batch of Hot Cross Buns. I'm not going to bake them until tomorrow morning, if I can wait that long. I don't know very many people in PA so I thought it would be a nice way to introduce myself. Wish me luck:) Fish pie sounds quite inviting...

    Oh Duckie you are so sweet. I haven't been to Texas in ages...

    Hi Adele,
    Surprisingly, they look so pretty, guests may not want to actually eat them. It's happened to me:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely recipes and thoughts. I used to bake lovely cinnamon buns in the shape of a sheep (lamb) for Easter brunch. I guess I'll need to dig up that recipe... somehow. Tasty and cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great recipes and a happy Easter to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Louise!

    How are you? I'm so glad you received the little book I sent you! I was on vacation at southern island in the Philippines and couldn't open my emails. I just read your letter right now.

    I see you have some wonderful posts about foods for the Holy Week. My wife is reading your blog right now--she's a lurker. And she extends her warm greetings to you and your family.

    She found the Easter Lily Canapes to be easy to prepare(by following your instructions), and she is now preparing it for our dinner (we shopped yesterday for the ingredients)

    Thank you for always being the best food blogger as always! I have to backread some of your older posts now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Easter, Louise! One day I will make Hot Cross Buns. It would be nice to see how the homemade variety differs from the grocery store version I know so well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a great Easter, Louise!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You and I are in the same boat. I am invited to my son's wife's mother's house. haha I have made a pizza rustica in case I go. I also have some sugared almonds and a bottle of homemade wine sitting here on my cabinette. They are asking me.."Are we going or what?"
    So, you come here and we can share this rustica! Problem solved! LOL
    A very Happy Easter to you Louise, wherever you go :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Janet, hope you had a delightful Easter. Please dig up that recipe for next year. I missed doing brunch this year but am already planning an Easter brunch for next year:)

    Thanks Jan, I'll be dropping in later this evening to see what's cooking...

    Thanks Sidney, I'll be stopping by your place soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Dennis,
    Everything is just fine by me. The book is absolutely wonderful. I was waiting for you to get back before I shared a recipe from it. I will probably do it early next week. Please tell your wife she is welcome to "lurk" anytime. I am so excited at the thought of your family actually sharing in a recipe posted on this blog. It makes me feel like we are sharing a tradition together. How warm and fuzzy:) I hope you saved me a "bite" (an image:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you T.W. I'm planning an Easter brunch for next year either online, at home or both. Perhaps, you can bring the Hot Cross Buns!!! The home made version are actually quite similar to the bakery versions but not much like what you find in the grocery store.

    Thanks Kathy, I hope you had a nice Easter too!!!

    Hi Maryann, Oh what I would have done for a piece of that pizza rustica and a glass of homemade wine. It would have been my pleasure to bring the Italian Easter Ricotta Pie. I'm stuffed just thinking about it. Perhaps, next year. I wound up spending the entire day in the car traveling from PA back to New York. It took me nine hours to do a 4-1/2 hour drive with all the new "infrastructure" repairs all over I80. I was starving!!! I finally got a mounds bar and snowballs to get me through:) So did you go???

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you duckie, it was an adventure:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you and your family had a Happy Easter. As usual I am a day late and a dollar short!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not to worry Courtney. Your visits are appreciated whenever!

    ReplyDelete

Through this wide opened gate,
none came to early,
none returned to late.

Thanks for dropping in...Louise