-

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Feasting Our Way in August

Feasting Our Way in August...


The fields are all alive with sultry noise,
Of labor's sounds, and insects' busy joys;
The reapers o'er their glittering sickles stoop,
Startling full oft the partridge conveys up;
Some o'er the rustling scythe go bending
And shockers follow where their traces have gone,
Heaping the swaths that rustle in the sun.
~John Clare; Shepherd's Calendar~

Monthly Food Celebrations

August is National Farmers' Market Month and in 2009, August 2-8th is National Farmers' Market Week. Farmers’ markets offer consumers farm-fresh, affordable, convenient and healthy products. So, keep visiting your local community market for farm fresh foods and support our local farmers.

August is National Catfish Month. I must say, the Catfish Institute sure could do a better job of promoting Catfish Month. I had to take this Catfish Quiz in order to get it from the Catfishs' mouth so to speak. I really didn't mind. It was kinda fun and after I was done, I found these "great menu ideas."

I was rather confused about National Peach Month last year. I thought it was in July. But, some sites said August. That was cleared up when I discovered a Reagan Proclamation declaring July 1982 as Peach Month. Whatever the confusion, eat a peach, heck eat a bushel! Fresh is always better. The recipes I posted last year are mostly for canned peaches. Anyone have fresh, juicy, peach recipes they want to share?

The ears are filled, the fields are white,
The constant harvest moon is bright
To grasp the bounty of the year.
The reapers to the scene repair...
The meals are done as soon as tasted
And neither time nor viands wasted,
All over-then the barrels foam-
The "largess-cry," the "Harvest Home."

Not widely promoted, August is also National Goat Cheese Month. The American Cheese Society, says that "officially touting goat cheese in August should help get more consumers to try this wonderful product." I agree. "The history of the production of goat cheese goes back beyond the time of the ancient Greeks to when the goat was first domesticated about 5000 BC..."(read more...) Although cow's milk and goat's milk have similar fat contents, goat's milk has a tart flavor which adds to the body of goat's milk cheese. I also happen to be a huge fan of goat's milk yogurt! You can find Goat Milk Products online. I warn you, it's addicting. I know some of you visitors like "playing" with goat cheese. Just take a look of how many recipes pop up on my google Hospitality Search.

I discovered a new monthly food celebration for August, just today. (I'm always looking:) Boy oh boy, how did I miss this one last year? Not only is August National Brownies at Brunch Month, it is also plain 'ol Brownie Month. (like there's anything plain or old about brownies:) I wish I could remember where I found out. I'm sure it was at one of the links above. Right after I realized it was a "new discover," I headed over to Janet's blog, Dying for Chocolate, to spread the news. Well, wouldn't you know it, she shared a post about Brownie Pops. Very sweet of her:)

Ah, Watermelon Month. Does anyone really care if Watermelon Month is in July or August? I certainly don't think so and I know for a fact the Watermelon Guy doesn't either. So what if I celebrated Watermelon Month in July. August 3rd is Watermelon Day. Now we have more "excuses" to try some of those watermelon links I gathered from some of my favorite blogs, pictures and all. It looks scrumptious, if I do say so myself. Go see...

August is National Inventors Month. I've been very neglectful keeping up with my Tasteful Inventions blog so, I'm not going to send you there today. However, you should read about what's going on at the Smithsonian for National Inventors' Day especially if you're a fan LEGO (s)

Thanks to Stephen & Pam over @ Live Everyday Like a Holiday for reminding me about Sandwich Month. Yes, that's right, August is National Sandwich Month! Mustard or Mayo?

A Week of Daily Celebrations

August 1 is Lammas Day, or loaf-mass day, the festival of the first wheat harvest of the year. Celebrating Lammas @ School of the Seasons.


August 1-is National Mustard Day (celebrated annually at the Mount Horeb Mustard Museum on the first Saturday in August.) If memory serves me correctly, it may also be out favorite Cakespy's birthday. (I'm pretty sure:) BTW, I did some Mustard Mustering last year.

August 2 Friendship Day, I have something special planned for Friendship Day but just in case I don't make it, go meet my new Happy Holiday "friends." They'll be thrilled to tell you Friendship Day. why not get started with the Amish Friendship Cake recipe?

August 3 is Martha Stewart's Birthday! Martha Stewart was born Martha Helen Kostyra on August 3, 1941 in Jersey City, New Jersey. Martha Stewart @ the Academy of Achievement.

August 3 is Watermelon Day (always the first Sunday in August)

August 4 is National Champagne Day, maybe. It seems everybody everywhere like to celebrate Champagne Day whenever they feel like it! I have in my notes that Benedictine monk Dom Pérignon invented champagne on August 4th in 1694. At least someone agrees today is the day.

August 4 is President Barack Obama's Birthday. What are the best birthday gifts for President Obama? Maybe Politico knows.

August 6-William Andrus Alcott, author of The Young Housekeeper was born. His biography is at Feeding America.

August 6 is Root Beer Float Day. Why Root Beer Float Day is celebrated on August 6th is beyond me. According to tidbit legend, the Root Beer Float was invented on the same day as condensed milk; August 19th. That, however seems to be debatable. Although, some do agree it was invented by a man named Frank J. Wisner. Root Beer Float or a Black Cow , what the heck, Stephanie at Fund Foods on a Budget has a recipe posted celebrating Root Beer Float Day and it's from scratch! How cool is that Mr. Hires and the Black Cow.

August 7: It's Raspberry and Cream Day!

August 8 is National Zucchini Day not to be confused with National Zucchini Bread Day, which is in April.

August 17th is time for celebrating Davy Crockett with a side order of Frontier Recipes!

Resources
1.Julie Powell's Blog
2 Julie & Julia (website)
3. Just Another "Julie & Julia" Review
4. The Be Like Julie: Cook From Julia (contest)
5. Julia Child Heirloom Tomato (@ Gary's Ibsen's Tomato Fest site)

5 comments:

  1. Do you know that when I was a youngster, I would often tell people that Mustard was my favorite food? I guess a love of oondiments was already in my DNA. So many great things to celebrate this month, along with the debut of the movie. I was hunting for goat cheese yesterday with no success, so you've inspired me to give it another try. And, of course, who could miss National Champagne Day?? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today is Mustard day! I will have a hot dog today....

    I should stock up for champagne day though. Thanks for the heads up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In honor of Mustard Day I'm going to make chicken in mustard & buttermilk gravy! It sounds terrible I know but it really is good- A friend made it for my birthday many years ago and I've been hooked ever-since

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't use to eat mustard. Then I met my hubby and realized how great it was on almost everything especially as a binding agent in salad dressings. Now we keep several types in the refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mustard is a favorite of mine since childhood too T.W. Although, I must confess if given the choice as a kid, I would take a mayo sandwich over a mustard sandwich!

    Have one for me Sher, heck have two!!!

    Hmmmm...Chicken in Mustard & Buttermilk Gravy. I'd try it!!! It sounds intriguing Gone-ta-pott:)

    Hi Veron, I haven't made my own mustard in years. It makes a good grilled meat tenderizer too!

    ReplyDelete

Through this wide opened gate,
none came to early,
none returned to late.

Thanks for dropping in...Louise