-

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Celebrating National Fluffernutter Day!!!

"Spread one piece of bread with Fluff.
Then spread another with peanut butter.
There you have it: a Fluffernutter!"
The Yummy Book of Fluff

Fact is, I'm no stranger to Fluff. It's been "covered" more than once on this blog. Oh, and did I mention, I LOVE Fluffernutters and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Tsk, tsk, wipe those silly grins off your face. I know a few of you are as addicted to fluffernutters as I am. T.W. over @ Culinary Types is for sure. 

"Here's my terrible secret - I am addicted to Fluffernutter sandwiches! The first step is admitting you have a problem. :-)

Hey, T.W. I'm still waiting for that Fluffernutter Pie you were going to whip up:)

Fluffernutter Pie
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1 c. cold water
3 T. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. peanut butter
1 c. Marshmallow Fluff
2 c. heavy or whipping cream
1 Chocolate Crumb Crust
Directions: In medium saucepan combine 1/2 cup cold water and gelatin; let stand 1 minute. Cook stirring constantly, until gelatin is completely dissolved. Remove from heat. Stir in sugar, vanilla and remaining water. Beat in peanut butter and Fluff. Chill until mixture mounds when dropped from spoon. Fold in whipped cream. Turn into crust; chill until set. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

There are two important ingredients needed to make a Fluffernutter Sandwich. Peanut Butter and...Marshmallow Fluff. Did you know, the origins of Marshmallow Fluff actually go back to 1917? I discovered that little morsel when I posted about Marshmallow Fluff for Inventors' Day back in February. I also had a day of Marshmallow Fluff back in May.  You see, it was on May 14, 1920 that Durkee and Mower formed a partnership in the manufacturing of Marshmallow Fluff.

Yummy Books
Both these Yummy books are undated. If I had to guess, I'd say they are from the 1930s.

As you can imagine, they are filled with recipes for that gooey, sticky, yummy, Marshmallow Fluff. Rocky Road Pie anyone?

Rocky Road Pie
1 quart chocolate ice cream, softened (I'd love to try this with Fluffernutter Ice Cream)
1/2 c. chopped peanuts
1/4 c. chopped semisweet-chocolate pieces
1/2 c. Marshmallow Fluff
1/4 c. chocolate syrup
1 9-inch prebaked Graham Cracker Crust
Directions: In large bowl mix ice cream with peanuts and chopped chocolate. Spoon Marshmallow Fluff and chocolate syrup into ice cream swirling gently to create a marbling effect. Spoon into prepared shell. Freeze until firm. Makes 8 servings.

Creating a "masterpiece" with Marshmallow Fluff is only limited by your imagination. Just remember, 1 tablespoon of Fluff equals 1 whole marshmallow. For instance, If you click this link, an image of a Lemon Meringue pie will appear before you. It too is made with Fluff. Here are some more Fluffy Sandwich fillings:

Fluff Sandwich Fillings
Cheese & Ginger: Mix 1 package of cream cheese with minced preserved ginger to taste. Add Marshmallow Fluff by the teaspoon until mixture is good for spreading. Spread on Boston Brown Bread or Orange Nut Bread. Enough for 6-8 sandwiches.
Apricot & Nut: Mash 1 cup stewed apricots with a fork. Addd 1/2 cup chopped nuts, 1 heaping tablespoon Marshmallow Fluff. spread on whole wheat bread. Fills 6-8 sandwiches.
Maraschino Fluff: Mix finely chopped Maraschino Cherries with Marshmallow Fluff. Spread on white bread 2 tablespoons chopped cherries and 1/4 cup Fluff. Fills 4 sandwiches.
Fluff & Peanut Butter: Spread one slice of bread with Fluff, another with peanut butter and put together for a sandwich.

Don't have the ingredients to make a Fluffernutter in your part of the world? Here's a recipe for Marshmallow Creme/Fluff from What's Cooking America. Enjoy:) Did you miss the annual What the Fluff? festival held each year honoring Archibald Query the inventor of Fluff? I did too. It sure looks like fun!!! Have a Fluffernutter Day everyone!!!

Upcoming Food Days:
9-World Egg Day 2009 will be celebrated on 9th October.
10-National Angel Food Cake Day celebrate with Heavenly Recipes.
10-Chicken Church Day (has recipes)
10-Sugar Awareness Day

Resources
1. Fluff-Filled Chocolate Madeleines @ Serious Eats 
2. Peanut Butter-Banana Cupcakes with Marshmallow Cream Cheese Frosting @ the Sugar Plum blog
3. Fluffernutter Bars
4. Who invented Marshmallow Fluff? (previous post)
5. A Day of Marshmallow Fluff! (previous post. includes a Penuchi Recipe)

24 comments:

  1. Now, how am I going to kick the Fluff habit with all this temptation? And, without even realizing that today was Fluffernutter Day, I had a peanut butter and fluff sandwich for dinner last night! I promise to get moving on the pie. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this 'fluff' stuff when I've been to the States but I've never seen it here in the UK - I will have a closer look for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me again - I forgot to wish you Louise and everyone a happy Fluffernutter Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you believe I've only bought one jar of Fluff in my lifetime, and that was because my stepson needed it for a recipe for ... whatever they call home ec now?

    I do believe I might have to try a sammie... those look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely charming. Happy Fluffernutter Day, Louise!

    Corinna x
    http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admit! I'm an addict LOL! I'm book marking this. Youngest son is so into fluffernutter sandwiches, I think I'll make him that pie for when he gets back home on Friday.

    PS never knew you could use it for a lemon meringue pie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Yummy books.
    We tried Fluff for the first time earlier in the summer for a book review that included it in a shake. I'm definitely going to make my son one of those sammies.
    Happy Fluffernutter day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never had a Fluffernutter Sandwich!! I must buy some fluff and try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My little guy loves fluff, too. Oh, who am I kidding? Some of his sisters and brothers do, too. (So do I, but I don't confess to it, and try not to eat too much!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fluffernutter, fluffernutter, fluffernutter! I love that word, it is so much fun to say!

    And I love the sound of the cream cheese and ginger fluffernutter sammie! Now, where can I get me some marshmallow fluff?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You posted that fluffer nutter pie just for me, didn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I must admit that I have never tasted nor seen them before! thanks for sharing and Happy Fluffernutt day!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I understand why you are addicted ! :-0

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, WAAAH! We can't get Fluff in Belgium. [pout] Thanks for the recipe, though. I'll save it for the day when I can find some...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never had fluffernutt, now I am curious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So, I'm traveling for work, and just checked the kid's menu in the hotel to see if they had a fluffer nutter sandwich. No such luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH WOW, LOUISE! look at that sandwich! i wanna make thaaaaaaaaaaaat. super yums-looking!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now, you don't really want to KICK the Fluff habit T.W. I certainly don't!!!

    YOU checked into a hotel with NO Fluffernutters? I suppose it's high time hotels realize that Fluffnutters are right up their with internet access and wine bars:) I can't wait for that pie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Jan, Uh oh no Fluffernutters across the pond? Perhaps, you should whip up your own marshmallow creme and create your own Fluffernutter. You will be tastefully surprised. Here's a link for Marshmallow Creme from What's Cooking America!!!

    No need to buy it, Channon. I found a recipe at What's Cooking America!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Sher, I've actually made the pie since posting that recipe and it works surprisingly well. I sure hope you took a pic of that pie. I bet your son was delighted; and you too:)

    Hi Natashya, A Fluff Shake!!! Whoa...I think I could handle that for sure. I'll have to hit the archives and find that review; unless you want to send it to me so I can link to it:)

    No way, girlchef!!! YOU have never had a Fluffernutter??? Please remedy that ASAP!!!

    Marjie, I found a recipe link at What's Cooking America for making your own. I bet the kids would get a kick out of seeing how it's made. (I confess, I'm addicted but I try not to eat too much either:)

    Sophia, Fun to say and more FUN to eat!!! Not to mention, Marshmallow Creme works surprisingly well in other sweet recipes too!!! Make your own, Sophia. It will be a piece of cake for you.

    Yes, I did Duckie, just for visitors like you. Ben can have some too:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I do believe everyone should at least have a bite of a Fluffernutter sandwich at least once in their life, Dhanggit. Let me know what you think when you do. You can always make your own Marshmallow Creme in case they don't have any in France.

    Everyone is entitled to at least one, pitfall. Don't you think Sidney? Mine's Fluff!!!

    Hi Kate @ Serendipity: I just love hearing that word:) Make your own Fluff Kate. It will be really easy for you to whip up I'm sure. Here's a recipe from What's Cooking America.

    Try it Veron. YOU will LOVE it!!!

    Don't you just love the sound of it tigerfish. It's even better "in person' :)

    acey, you should really introduce your friends to fluffernutters. they will thank you:) you can even pack them in a lunch:) (mother may even approve:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ok Louise I have to admit I still like Fluff. I have 3 kids and yes we have fluff in our house to make fluff and peanut butter sandwiches of course. Ok small little secret don't tell my wife, but occasionally I grab a spoon and take a spoonful of fluff. Ok I know its wrong, but come on I know there are some other people that have done it.

    The other sandwiches sound interesting like the Ginger and cheese. I might have to try it :)

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those sandwiches looks awesome..

    ReplyDelete

Through this wide opened gate,
none came to early,
none returned to late.

Thanks for dropping in...Louise