-

Friday, October 30, 2009

It's National Candy Corn Day



Yippee! it's National Candy Corn Day and do I have a frightfully fun recipe; or two, for YOU!!! Did you know, "more than 35 million pounds of candy corn will be produced in 2009." I learned that at the National Confectioners Association, a sponsor of National Candy Corn Day!!!

Oh, I know there are a couple of you out there that don't particularly care for candy corn. You know who you are, Marjie, Pam:) Perhaps, these candy corn recipes will alter your mindset. You see, although the first recipe brought to you by Nosh With Me is for candy corn from scratch, the other recipes are more or less faux candy corn recipes. Well, take a look and you'll get my drift...


Nosh With Me Home Made Candy Corn


Megan's Munchies Candy Corn Cupcakes

Recipe Girl's Candy Corn Cookie Bark

Here's a monster of an idea. Make spooky looking gloves with Popcorn, Pumpkin seeds and Candy Corn!

Creepy Hands
8 cups popped popcorn
1 cup pumpkin seeds, cleaned and patted dry
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
candy corn
Supplies
6 clear industrial food handlers gloves
Orange and or black ribbon
6 plastic spider rings
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Place popcorn in single layer in 15x10x1 inch jelly-roll pan; sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.
2. Mix butter, Worcestershire and salts in small bowl. Pour over popcorn; toss to coat.
3. Bake 30 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
4. Place candy corn in end of each glove for fingernail; pack glove tightly with popcorn mixture. Close bag tightly at wrist; tie with ribbon. Place ring on 1 finger of each hand. Makes 6 servings

And for those of you out there in Halloween Land who are on the fence when it comes to candy corn, here's a recipe for Candy Corn Cookies which can also be morphed into Bat Cookies:) (click to enlarge)

Resources
1. Cool Text Generator (where I "designed" the Candy Corn Banner)

18 comments:

  1. Oh, man, I love candy corn. I can't get it in Belgium. I"m not sure if that's a good thing or not...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a bizarre fascination with Candy Corn! Is it a candy, or a vegetable? I guess that's what makes it fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a fan either, sad to say, but I always buy a bag for my mother inlaw...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Between Candy Corn and Jelly Beans I don't know which is my favorite!!! We made the popcorn hands at our church youth activity night Wed. night. The kids loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, I do like candy corn, but I don't like Indian corn. I just don't like very much candy at one sitting, unless it's really pricy, high quality chocolate. Anyone have any Godiva Chocolate they just don't want? I'll give it a good home....

    My dearly beloved loves those pumpkins made by the candy corn people. At halloween, I make a cake, frost it in chocolate frosting, draw green lines on it, and liberally sprinkle those pumpkins on it. Trust me, there are never leftovers for that one.

    I'm glad there's a candy corn day. It's more deserving than many things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute! I love the super white frosting on the candy corn cupcakes. Thanks for stopping by my blog on the Keller roast chicken. ... What's Food Rave by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  7. In celebration of Candy Corn Day, I shall eat an entire 70-packet bag. Anticipate a really big sugar rush.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are adorable, love the candy corn cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Louise! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your kind comment today. It's nice to "meet" you! I have a slight candy corn addiction, glad to find more creative plays on one of my favorite sweets! Happy Halloween :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find it hard to grasp the idea of home-made candy corn. It seems so industrial!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We used to make creepy hands with regular popcorn when I had my day care center. The kids always liked them. This year my store is selling kits to make them with everything needed included.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love candy corn. I think there must be something in the chemicals...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for dropping in everyone:

    Oh Kate, I'm sorry your can't get any candy corn in Belgium. I wouldn't mind having a few extra for you. Perhaps, you should try making your own!!!

    I just got to thinkin' T.W. Perhaps I should suggest to Hershey that they "invent" a Candy Corn Hershey's Kiss.

    You have to admit, Channon, the cupcakes look mighty tempting...

    I thought the Popcorn hands were adorable in their own way. Great for a church activity for sure, Julia.

    I'd be willing to share Marjie, but you just can't have it all!!! Godiva is my very best chocolate "friend." That pumpkin corn cake sounds outstanding. Take a picture for next year!!!

    Hi Ninette, and thank you for dropping by. I think I left the Food Rave link on your blog. Let me know if I didn't. Curious place...

    You go for it duckie!!!

    Thanks for stopping Veron, everything looks so yummy.

    Hi Amy, and thank you for stopping. Candy Corn sure iis fun to "play" with isn't it!!!

    I'm not sure I would want to go through the work to make candy corn but I sure do think it would be fun to try once, Mae.

    Those kits sound like a wonderful idea, Rochelle. How'd they do?

    They are sort of addicting Cucinista, but for some reason, I only crave them during Halloween season. Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, I must say this blog has been educational, seeing as how I've never even heard of Candy Corn. Must be a Yankee thing and me being an Aussie I reckon I'm missing out on something.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Never heard of Candy Corn, oh my word, Sire. Now, you see it is I (or is that me:) who gained an education. I had no idea Candy Corn was a rare treat in Australia. Australia doesn't seem to have any long-standing Halloween traditions. You'll never know what you're missing unless you whip up a batch!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whip up a batch? Can't see that happening anytime soon lol

    So, tell me, the candy corn itself is the bright little three colored sweet looking delicacies, that you use in your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Sire; candy corns are indeed those tri-colored delicacies of sweetness that you eat like M & M's. They make novel decorations especially during Halloween season here in the US. All you need to make home-made candy corn is sugar and corn syrup and a whole lota patience. However, those cupcakes up there are actually baked from a cake mix with each layer dyed with food coloring. Cool huh!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Everything looks good and yummy....

    ReplyDelete

Through this wide opened gate,
none came to early,
none returned to late.

Thanks for dropping in...Louise