-

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

It's Pooh's Anniversary!!!

There's so much sweetness to spread in the month of October and yet, I just can't resist celebrating another Winnie the Pooh anniversary. I'd be rather remiss if I didn't mention that October 14th is also the day one of the first patents for a corn-planting machine (harvester) was granted to an African American by the name of Henry Blair. I wouldn't want to inadvertently miss Saint Paraskeva's Day, although I'm not too fond of Bulgaria's festival dish of Calf's Trip Soup. October 14th just may be National Dessert Day and is most definitely National Chocolate Covered Insect Day. (why oh why I'm not quite sure:) And, according to wiki, cookbook author Thomas Keller was born today in 1955.
I still haven't prepared anything for Pasta Month, Seafood Month, Caramel Month or any of those monthly food celebrations celebrated in October. Oh well... Who can resist celebrating the "Ambassador of Friendship," Winnie the Pooh! (I remembered that from Friendship Day:)
I realize we celebrated the "official" Winnie the Pooh Day on A.A .Milne's birthday in January. You must remember, that's when I posted a bunch of Pooh recipe links and those honey sweet cookies on a stick. (that was a direct link to the recipe:) However, when I happened upon this delightful PDF file filled with creative ideas for celebrating that honey loving bear's anniversary, I just knew I needed to include just a smackerel amount of recipes. Let's begin with Piglet's No-Haycorn Pizzas just in time for National Pizza Month:)



Pooh's Holiday Ornament Cookies, usher in an introduction to National Cookie Month which I just happened to post about way back when in October of 2007. (the post is rather long but the beginning is worth a peek into the Cookie Jar poem by Edgar Guest) I won't get to post about National Cookie Month this year but Wait till you see what book I'll be featuring for National Cookbook Month. Here's a taste just in time for National Dessert Month:) Enjoy!


The Dessert
Big piles of pastry, delicious and sweet,
Contain no mustard, garlic, or caraway seed.
They're baked until they are perfection,
For this is heaven's own confection.
But eat too much and you will shout,
I think I'm suffering from the gout!
Light and flaky, in sugar they're richly rolled,
Like delicate china dolls with powdered skirts and lacey fold.
Seize up your fork and count your blessings now,
For these exquisite treats the chef deserves a bow.
This toothsome dessert is made from fine flour,
Sugar, eggs, spices and all things not sour.
Chocolate, raisins, poppy seeds, and rum,
If you hesitate, my friend, you won't get a crumb!

Upcoming Food Days:
15-Happy Birthday to Emeril Lagasse (10-15-59)
16-World Bread Day
16-International World Food Day
17-Diwali (Festival of Lights)

18 comments:

  1. Winnie-the-Pooh is one of my favorite children's book characters. A smackerel of honey, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much goodness in this post! I love Pooh... Disney or Classic. And national pasta month too? Hmmm... I'll definitely have to celebrate that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I MUST make some Pooh cookies!!! I just adore Pooh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, now you know my boys will pester me for a Pooh party, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, Pooh! Thank you for telling us, Louise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary to Pooh Bear! His was the first book I remember receiving, and I still have the copy - "The House at Pooh Corner." I got it as a gift when I was recovering from a tonsillectomy at age six! I have just bought the new sequel, because I can never get enough of Pooh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy B-Day Pooh! When I read your post it reminded me of the crib items we got for our first child. We bought the classic pooh bumper and matching sheets and quilt. We still have them to this day and are using them for our 3rd child.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every generation falls in love with Winnie the Pooh! Happy Anniversaey Pooh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cookie recipe looks amazing! I was going to say I love Pooh, but that doesn't sound quite right! Thanks Louise! Always a treat Louise!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Winnie the Pooh, one of my favorites! I love Tigger and Eyore and Piglet, and well, all of the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I have to send this to my friend, she is SUCH a fan of Pooh!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Winnie the Pooh :) Thanks for posting the cookie recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did make a Pooh birthday cake, and you can see it on my blog! Thanks for the suggestion; it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey everyone thanks for sharing Winnie the Pooh's Day with me. I read there's a new book coming out called "Return to the Hundred Acre Wood," by David Benedictus just in case you crave more Pooh...Also, if you get a moment, you should take a gander at Marjie's "Hunny of a Cake."

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like winnie the pooh... so cute! Didn't know that about the anniversary :) My ex-colleague is a big fan of winnie the pooh...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank's for sharing pooh's anniversary with us.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Catherine and Welcome:)

    I'm delighted you enjoyed your visit for Winnie the Pooh's Anniversary. Thank you so much for visiting. And, may I take a moment to thank you for visiting so many of my blog posts. At last count, I had 83 encouraging visits from you in a matter of days. I really appreciate it. Although I am not posting for the next couple of months, I do want to take just a moment to thank you. I hope you will visit again:) Thanks again, Louise

    P.S. I tried to find a way to contact you but unfortunately, no can do...

    ReplyDelete

Through this wide opened gate,
none came to early,
none returned to late.

Thanks for dropping in...Louise