-

Monday, December 7, 2009

December Food Days; I'm Back!!!

"God gave us memories so that we might
have roses in December."
James M. Barrie

Hi everyone! It's Great! to "see" you all. Let's get right to the yummeeeeee food days December has to offer! I have some blogs to visit:)

Daily Food Celebrations

7th-National Cotton Candy Day! The threads of Fairy Floss history are immersed in quite a sticky up bringing. You can read all about it @ my other blog Tasteful Inventions if you like. Or, you can try your hand at making your spun sugar as this recipe from 1891 suggests:

Put half a pound of water and one pound of best cane loaf-sugar in a perfectly clean copper sugar-boiler or thick stewpan; cover the Spinning Sugar pan over, bring to the boil, remove any scum as it rises from time to time, and continue boiling until the liquid forms a thick bubbled appearance (commonly called the crack); then take a small portion on a clean knife or spoon (or the finger may be used, but must be well wetted with cold water and used very quickly), and plunge it immediately into cold water, and if it is then quite brittle and leaves the knife or spoon or finger quite clear it is ready for spinning. If it clings or is at all soft or pliable, continue the boiling until as above. When ready take a small portion on a fork or spoon, and rapidly throw it to and fro over a slightly oiled rolling-pin; continue until sufficient threads of sugar are obtained. (from the Larger Cookery Book Of Extra Recipes by Mrs. A. B. Marshall)

Or not!

7th-Henry Drushel Perky was born today. Who in tarnation was Henry Perky? Oh, goodness, he was just the inventor of one of those many cereals you must bypass when navigating the grocery store cereal aisle. Can you guess which one? Here's a hint. And yes, I posted about Perky Shredded Wheat back in August.

7th-The creator of Sweet'NLow, Benjamin Eisenstadt was born today in 1906. If you have time, check out the Sugar Packet Collector's Page or, The Old Recipe website which has an interesting article titled, Refined Sugar versus Fruit Sugar.

Whew! I need some coffee. For you Maxwell House fans out there, give a toast to Joel Owsley Cheek, Co-founder of the Cheek-Neal Company, which would one day brew up to be the Maxwell House Coffee Company. He was born today in 1852. You can also enjoy your coffee while reading a post I did titled Perk It Up! There are tasty coffee recipes too!!!

Have a Brownie with your coffee. December 8th is also National Brownie Day!!!

8th-'La Physiologie du gout', written by Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin; was published on December 8, 1825, two months before his death.

On December 8, 1896, a patent for an improvement in a Lemon Squeezer was issued to African American inventor John T. White. I squeezed a few lemons for Lemon Squeezer Day back in 2007. There's a recipe for Queen Wilhelmina's lemon bath and a most interesting recipe for Lemon Cake Top Pudding. Oh, I'll just include the cake recipe here to save you the trip. If you do by chance get a minute, you should check out the post. The virtues of lemons are quite remarkable!

This recipe for Lemon Cake Top Pudding, will form a cake top with a layer of custard below.

Lemon Cake Top Pudding
2 tbs. flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tbs. butter
2 egg yolks beaten
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup milk
Cream flour, sugar and butter. Add egg yolks, lemon juice, and milk. Fold in 2 egg whites stiffly beaten. Bake in 8 inch pudding dish or individual custard cups (not buttered), set in a pan of warm water. Bake 35 minutes in 350 degree oven. Serves 4-6

9th-Happy National Pastry Day!
9th-Clarence Birdseye was born today. Yes, yes, the same Birdseye found in the frozen food section of you favorite grocery store!!! You can read more about him at the Inventors' Hall of Fame.
9th-Lorraine Collett Petersen, the first Sun-Maid Raisin Girl was born on December 9, 1892. So you thought she was just a figure of someone's imagination like Betty Crocker, now did you. Well, as you might have guessed, there's more to this little girl's story and I posted all about it in 2008.

10th-On this date in 1846, Norbert Rillieux patented his revolutionary improvement in the cultivation and processing of sugar.
10th-National Lager Day
10th-Emily Dickinson, regarded as one of America’s greatest poets, was born today in 1830. When I visited the North Pole looking for cookie recipes, I found this recipe for Emily Dickinson's Gingerbread Cookies.

11th-Cheese maker James Lewis Kraft was born on December 11, 1874.
11th-National Noodle-Ring Day?
11th-Hanukkah begins at sundown on Friday December 11. Hanukkah recipes for 2009

12th It's National Cocoa Day! And...
12th National Ambrosia Day!

Not only is December 12, National Cocoa Day, and National Ambrosia Day it is also Gingerbread House Day! I did a really informative post for Gingerbread House Day last year, if I do say so myself:) It was such Fun! This year, on December 12, I plan on sharing a few recipes from the Lottie Moon Cookbook. Who was Lottie Moon you ask? Well, I guess you will just have to check back to find out:)

13th-Meet me at Dell's. (previous post) On December 13, 1827, Giovanni ("John") and Pietro ("Peter") Delmonico opened their first cafe, Delmonico's.

14-21st.-Gluten-free Baking Week
14th-It's National Bouillabaisse Day!

My oh my, when it comes to National Cupcake Days, there appears to be more than a cup or two of tartness. I certainly don't reach any sour notes celebrating National Lemon Cupcake Day on December 15, do you??? I didn't think so:) any Lemon Holiday is fine by me:) Here's another scoop, the ice cream cone was patented today by Italo Marchioni! Here's the patent if you want to dig in.

16th-Adelma Grenier Simmons, one of the leading herbal figures in America in the 20th century, was born on December 16, 1903. She owned and operated Caprilands Herb Farm in Coventry, Connecticut for over 55 years. Caprilands was as an enchanting place to visit especially during the Christmas holidays. Did you know, the herb Rosemary, is deeply rooted in the Christmas season? In the language of flowers, Rosemary is for Remembrance. (see my previous post:)
16th-National Chocolate-Covered Anything Day! Yum eee:)
16th-Minced-pie season traditionally begins in England around December 16. I know I shared my Fairy Pie die-cut booklet in January however, one can never have enough of traditionally mince meat pies, now can one?

17th-According to the records of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Scooter Pies were introduced December 17, 1959 (Registration #0834843) by Burry's, then a division of Quaker Oats. Does that make today, Scooter Pie Day? If you have never experienced a Scooter Pie, perhaps you have treated yourself to a similar product such as a Moon Pie or my very best favorite, Mallomars!
17th-I haven't yet gotten to verifying National Maple Syrup Day but what the heck. December 17th sounds fine by me!

18th-National Roast Suckling Pig Day seems to be another obscure food holiday. Still checking...

19th-Jane Cunningham Croly ("Jennie June"), journalist, author, editor, and woman's club leader was born on December 19, 1829. Getting to Know Jennie June was my post for last year. I'm also still checking on National Hard Candy Day and Oatmeal Muffin Day which are both suppose to be celebrated on December 19th.

Two more days swimming in the ocean of obscure days are National Sangria Day and National Fried Shrimp Day. Sangria and Shrimp? Sorry, the jury is still out on those two:)

21st.-Forefathers' Day. According to Mary J. Lincoln; (previous post) Succotash was the traditional dish served on Forefathers' Day in Plymouth.
21st -Marion Harland (pen name) Mary Virginia Terhune was born on December 21, 1830. Now, you know, I just had to do a post about her.

22-National Date Nut Bread Day

23-Stargazy pie anyone? Jane Grigson, The Observer's distinguished food writer for many years, notes that 'it is a specialty of Mousehole ((pronounced Mouzul) where they make it on 23 December every year, Tom Bawcock's Eve, in memory of the fisherman who saved the town from a hungry Christmas one stormy winter.' Therefore, Stargazy pie is a fish pie of Cornish origin. It is made with the fishes' heads sticking out of the crust all round the rim, and presumably takes its name from their appearance of gazing skywards. The Food and Drink of London blog has a recipe. In essence, The pie fish (Usually sardines) are lined with their heads peeking out from under the crust and faced looking up at the stars:)
23th-National Pfeffernuesse Day

24th-National Egg Nog Day

25th-Merry Christmas!
25th-National Pumpkin Pie Day. I celebrated Pumpkin Pie Day in November with a pumpkin pie recipe poem.

26th-Kwanzaa is an African-American cultural holiday which originated in 1966. Created by Dr. Maulana Karenga, Kwanzaa it is celebrated from Dec. 26 - Jan. 1.
26-I posted about the fabulous British food writer Elizabeth David, (aka, Elizabeth Gwynne) back in 2007. Did you know she was born on Boxing Day, in 1913.
26th-I celebrated St. Stephen's Day with the other Saints of Christmas also in 2007. Here's a recipe for a traditional St. Stephen's Day Hot Pot for you to try:)
26th-Happy Birthday; Bubble Gum!
26th Happy National Candy Cane Day! (previous post)

27th-According to the Fruitcake society, National Fruitcake Day falls on December 27th!

28th-This holiday season, thank Josephine Cochran for the patent she was issued on December 28, 1886. What was it for? The dishwasher of course:)
28th-Take a pop on over to The Old Foodie Blog and wish Janet a Happy Birthday!

29th-Pepper Pot Day
29th-National Chocolate Day

When I celebrated National Bicarbonate of Soda Day in 2008, I was amazed to discover the many uses for baking soda.

31st-National Champagne Day. Need I say more?

I have some errands to run this morning. I think I'll pick up some snacks to munch on while I catch up on all of my favorite blogs when I get back.

Happy Cotton Candy Day! "See" ya later:)

19 comments:

  1. Yeah! You're back! Today is my Dad's Bday I'll have to tell him it's also Cotton Candy day.

    Though shredded wheat would probably be better for us ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to find some cotton candy today for the Knight, and I'll have a brownie tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to see you are back and have such a great collection of obscure food history!

    from maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. WELCOME BACK! I hope you had a good holiday!

    Cotton candy is called Barbe de Papa in French-- Granddad's beard. I loved it when I was a kid. Thanks for the old recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back! You must have had a wonderful November. And your list of December "events" has made me tired just reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! You are back, Louise! So nice to see you again :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad that you are back! Hoeray!

    What a lovely read this was! Thanks for those yummie recipes!

    MMMMMMMMMMMM,...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back, Louise! Hope you had a great holiday! How funny that Cotton Candy Day is celebrated in December! Glad to know about egg nogg day on the 24th. I'm going to plan to celebrate that in a big way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome back! I have a sudden craving for pastry..

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are just full of so much interesting information!!! I am going to make that lemon cake recipe. Yummy!!! My husband and I watched a show about minced meat pie the other day. We didn't know what it was. Now we know that it is dried fruit pie. Yum!! Thanks for all the info. Keep it up. I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The lemon cake top pudding sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I missed brownie day! I'll use any excuse to eat my favorite sweets. I'm looking forward to chocolate covered anything day! Glad your back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice to see that you are back! That cake recipe sounds wonderful!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  14. yay! Missed ya! I've been looking forward to your whimsical monthly trivia!
    Ooh...my mom shares the same birthday as Emily Dickinson!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Louise, it's been a long time since I've been here. Thank you for sharing your encyclopedic knowledge about this food days, I'm copying them now so I can put on my calendar!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you everyone for all your kind words. I am truly touched by your warm greetings. It's GREAT to be back!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm SO sad I missed cotton candy day!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just wanted to say that this blog is BRILLIANT!! It's like a kitchen meets an encyclopedia had a baby, and *poof* here's your blog - perfect for nerds like me... :-D

    I'm looking forward to tomorrow: National Champagne Day! Thanks for all the cool facts!

    ReplyDelete

Through this wide opened gate,
none came to early,
none returned to late.

Thanks for dropping in...Louise