-

Sunday, March 21, 2010

March Food Celebrations: Week Four

Happy Spring Everyone!!! First, Marion wants me to thank everyone for their kind birthday wishes. "You guys" are just great! Marion really gets a kick out of reading the comments you leave. I baked a cake for her birthday, albeit from a box, but she thoroughly enjoyed it. As you could see in the pictures yesterday, we've set up a nice comfy living room out of one of the three bedrooms in the house and right across the hall she has a lovely bedroom and bath. Although the house is one level, which in "our" aging years we are elated about, there's more than enough room. Unfortunately, I just haven't had the time to tell you more about Marion but hopefully, things will calm down around here this week and I'll get to tell you more about this remarkable woman. In the mean time, let's get to this week's foodie days. (a red * denotes a previous post)

Daily Food Celebrations: Week Four

March 21

Happy Twitter Day! The first tweets were published on March 21, 2006. Happy Birthday, Twitter!

Born today on March 21, 1904, Forrest E. Mars, Sr. inventor of everyones favorite; M&Ms® Did you know, M&M's started as K-rations during World War II.
Chocolate lovers around the world have none other than Forrest E. Mars, Sr. to thank for the milk chocolate candies that “melt in your mouth, not in your hand.” The candy, of course, is M&Ms®, and not only did Mars invent, patent, and market the creation but he also built a chocolate candy empire via the multinational conglomerate that would become M&M®/Mars, Inc. (source)
Here are a few quick recipes I harvested from my google search engine.
Sour Cream M&M Cookies @ Gluten Free Mommy
Peanut Butter M&M Cookies @ Cooking During Stolen Moments
Quick, Easy-N-Fast M&M Cheesecake Squares @ Razzle Dazzle Recipes
M&M's Cookie Mix (Gifts in a Jar)

March 21st is California Strawberry Day. Hooray for Strawberries!!! According to the California Strawberry Commission, "if you lined up all the strawberries grown in California in one straight line, they would wrap around the whole Earth 15 times!!!

National French Bread Day

March 22

Bacon Connoisseurs’ Week begins today in the UK.

According to foodreference.com, not only is March 22, National Bavarian Crepes Day, it is also the day Englishman Orlando Jones patented cornstarch in 1841. *Clearly, Cornstarch has a taste of patent fogginess. Do you remember this cute little die-cut booklet? 



It's National World Water Day.

March 23

Often credited as "the mother of level measurements" or, "the pioneer of the modern recipe", Fannie Merritt Farmer, author of the Boston Cooking School Cook Book, was born on March 23, 1857 in Boston Massachusetts. *Fannie Farmer Tales

Today is National Melba Toast Day. I hope to be posting today:)

For those of us who missed National Potato Chip Day, March 14, reprieve, It's National Chip & Dip Day today! Good thing too because Shaz from Test with a Skewer was a tad upset when National Potato Chip Day breezed on by.

March 24

National Chocolate-Covered Raisins Day @ Candy USA

March 25

April may be National Pecan Month but, March 25 is *National Pecan Day!!! It is said we celebrate March 25th as Pecan Day because on this day in 1775, George Washington planted pecan trees which were given to him by Thomas Jefferson.

International Waffle Day is another one of those "food holidays" that gets tossed around for one reason or another. International Waffle Day, March 25th, is not to be confused with just plain 'ole Waffle Day which is August 24 (that's the day the first patent for a Waffle maker was issued to Cornelius Swartwout) or,* International Chicken And Waffles Day which is October 3, 2008, *International Waffle Day is a Swedish tradition which has been adopted world wide. Whew!

Lobster Newburg Day

Birth date of Arturo Toscanini.
"I cannot understand why people eat so much, I? I do not like to eat. No. For me, sometimes a little soup and bread. This morning at five o'clock I drink a cup of minestrone and eat a grisini [Italian bread stick]. That is all. I would like to eat never!" Toscanini: An Intimate Portrait (1956)
Toscanini's Rice and Celery Soup @ soupsong.com

March 26

National Spinach Day not to be confused with Fresh Spinach Day in July. Hey, I just find them, I don't make them up:) Did you know,
When Popeye made his debut on January 17, 1929, spinach became the third most popular children's food after turkey and ice cream. It wasn't long before states and cities began to claim they were "the Spinach Capital of the world." Popeye became the "patron saint" of Crystal City, Texas. In a years time, a statue of Popeye was erected across from city hall and the yearly spinach festival bolted. Crystal City isn't the only place to claim to be "Spinach Capital of the World." Kansas and Arkansas also have their share of spinach festivals and claims.
What rock have I been hiding under? I just discovered that March 26th is Make Up Your Own Holiday Day. Any ideas?

I'm not what I would call a Soap Opera kinda gal but, it just so happens that I have a copy of Cooking With The Young and the Restless by Robert Waldron and Martha Hollis. Since March 26, 1973 is the day the Young and the Restless made its US premier, today is touted as The Young and the Restless Day. Yes, I hope to be sharing...



March 26th is also the birth date of *Benjamin Thompson; Count von Rumford. Count Rumford invented the percolator, a pressure cooker and a kitchen stove. He is frequently encased in the History of Baked Alaska.

Duncan Hines was also born today in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Duncan Hines, yes, a real live person at one time, did not begin his career as a name on a box of cake mix.
It was those years as a salesman that led him to his success. He spent so much time on the road that he became very familiar with restaurants and lodging across America. Hines decided to take note of the best places to eat and sleep while traveling, and he then began to tell others about it. His recommendations became so popular that in 1935 he published a list of his top 167 restaurants and sent them along with his Christmas cards.

The response was overwhelming. In 1936 he self-published Adventures in Good Eating, an expanded list of excellent restaurants.

*Esther Bradford Aresty was born March 26, 1908. You may have heard me mention her once or twice. Here's a hint, one of my favorite cookbook reference books is The Delectable Past.

For the past twenty years, it has been my rewarding hobby to collect old and rare cookbooks. This book is the result of my adventuring through their pages. The more I wandered around in those precious volumes, the more I wanted to share them with others, and so, The Delectable Past came about. (Esther B. Aresty)

March 27

National Nougat Day @ Home Baked Memories

On March 27, 1912, First Lady Helen Herron Taft and the Viscountess Chinda, wife of the Japanese ambassador, planted two Yoshino cherry trees on the northern bank of the Potomac River in Washington, D.C. The event celebrated the Japanese government's gift of 3,000 trees to the United States. The Cherry Blossom and the History of the Cherry Trees. I also found some Cherry Blossom recipes @ Smithsonian Magazine. Foodycat shared her Cherry Blossom Dinner. It sounds heavenly:)

National Spanish Paella Day @ emerils.com

Resources
1. Looking Back at Newark Origins of World-Famous M&M Chocolates

17 comments:

  1. Happy Spring, Louise! And, it couldn't come soon enough! How nice to get a glimpse of Marion in the previous post! And, I'm relieved to learn that today (at least) I don't need an excuse to eat M&Ms - have I mentioned that I'm pleasantly addicted? Let me add an important, but non-food anniversary. Today is Bach's 325th birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many celebrations, so little time. Now, to send Patrick out for strawberries...oh, wait, he's an idiot and might get confused...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Spring, Louise!!


    Yeah!!

    Thanks for these feasts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. March really is a foody month, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am loving that Cooking with the Young and the Restless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy M&Ms day. I wish I had known in advance. I try not to buy too much candy or I would have them on hand. Oh wait, if I had bought them last week, I would have eaten them up already. I guess I'll celebrate later.

    When is Twinkie day? I've been meaning to have a Twinkie for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Mom loves The Young and the Restless! I had no idea they have a cookbook. Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why am I not surprised there is a twitter day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Raisinettes, pecans, spinach... there's so much to celebrate! Since we've already done this week's shopping and none of those items came home with us, we'll have to see what I have on hand. I'm rather sure there are dark chocolate Raisinettes in the pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am all over international waffle day. I had waffles for dinner Friday night!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, march is quite a month of celebrations..and hip hip hoorah for Twitter! Do you tweet? I think I've gotten addicted to Twitter....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm excited about the national pecan day! Happy spring!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Spring to you T.W. Thanks for that tidbit about Bach, I've made a note of it. Investigation requited:)

    You are too funny Marjie. I bet Patrick picked the best strawberries available!!!

    Your more than welcome, Sophie, Enjoy:)

    It sure is Julia. Especially the 24th.

    I wish I knew a bit more about the Young and the Restless, Natashya & Reeni. So far, I found Awesome Fudge Cake Snickered With Chocolate Ice Cream that I will be sharing. It's a Birthday Cake!!!

    Get ready Mae, The Twinkie was invented on April 6, 1930. Celebrate with lots of Twinkies!!! I posted about the invention of the Twinkie on my other blog. Here's the link.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I sure was surprised there's a twitter day, Veron. Although, I'm not much of a twitterer or is that tweeter?

    I'm in for all three, Channon.

    I had a feeling you were going to jump all over those waffles, duckie. Now, if we could only decide on a waffle pie:)

    Yes, Sophia I do tweet. Usually just once a day. My Twitter button is up in the left hand corner, I hope:)

    Happy Spring, 5 Star Foodie. I'm sure you will be cooking up something sensational for National Pecan Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish I could keep up. It would be great to have time and people to feed to celebrate these feasts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know what you mean, Katy So many dishes and celebrations and no mouths to fill! Thank you so much for visiting...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Spring! I am looking forward to have a copy of The Young and the Restless.

    ReplyDelete

Through this wide opened gate,
none came to early,
none returned to late.

Thanks for dropping in...Louise