-

Sunday, March 7, 2010

March Food Celebrations: Week Two

Well, it's been a week since I returned from my adventure in New York. And, let me tell you, what a week it has been!!! You see, I got a new roommate and her name is Marion. You may have "heard" me speak of Marion in a post or two.

I've been friends with Marion for nearly ten years. When I lived in New York, I did a bit of volunteer work. One of my favorite "jobs" was to take a senior citizen food shopping each week. I was Marion's designated driver:) When I was deciding the appropriate time of year to make the final move to Pennsylvania, I worried about Marion. Not only had we become very close over the years, at 89 years young, there are very few people she is in contact with on a frequent basis. As time went by, I grew more and more concerned with her well being, so each day at exactly 8 o'clock in the morning we spoke on the phone, except of course for the days I took her shopping. We've continued those "talks" since my move until one day, in jest, I said to Marion, "You should move to PA with me." She said, "Come and get me" and I did! I plan on properly introducing you to Marion in the near future. In the mean time, trust me when I say, she is quite a woman!!!

Harried as I was with the second move, I feel like I have been neglecting my blogging friends. I suppose by now, we all realize that blogging is only a heartbeat of life. Frankly, I don't know how you guys do it!!! I already know I have tons of projects lined up for the changing of the seasons, what with a new shed coming any day now, I may never make it back into the house. No, I will not put my other tiny IMAC in the shed:) It almost seems like blog organization is not something we food bloggers "talk" about. I for one would sure love to hear how you manage to keep your blogs up to date, visit other bloggers and really enjoy their posts, and still twitter, facebook, cook, photograph, and hold down jobs while spending time with friends and family? How?

Before I left for New York, I was also honored with an award from Chaya and the delectable blog Sweet and Savory. Check the date while you're reading this post. If it isn't March 10th yet, drop me like a hot potato and jump right over to Chaya's blog. (follow that link) She is having one heck of a give-away!!! Hint, hint, think Paula Deen:)

Are you still with me? The instructions for the Beautiful Blogger Award go something like this: (Actually, I copied them from Chaya's rules)

Thank the person who gave you the award. Thank you so much Chaya. I'm so bad at receiving awards but I do appreciate each and every one:)

Paste the award on your blog


Link the person who nominated you for the award done:)

Tell 7 interesting things about yourself
1. I'm actually a very boring person. Perhaps, I should say shy.
2. I drive a 2004 Black Cherry Scion and I absolutely LOVE it!!!
3. My very best favorite snack is tiny stars of Pastina covered with lots of butter, lots of freshly ground pepper all topped with grated Locatelli Cheese. Uh Oh!
4. At last count, and I'm still counting, I have nearly 2,000 cooking related, books, magazines, recipe leaflets and who knows what else.
5. I don't have a favorite hard cover cookbook. My favorite magazines are my collection of American Cookery Magazines which spans from 1899 to 1944. My favorite advertising leaflets are those that are in the shape of the product they are advertising. You may have heard me mention my die-cuts. I think they are just so cool:)
6. I don't like spaghetti sauce with oregano in it.
7. I believe in angels:)

Nominate 7 bloggers or less
When it comes to receiving an award, this is the part I like the least; nominations. In my world of blogging, I do a lot of linking. I suppose, we all do. When we link, we nominate. When I was first introduced to the internet, there were two things that I took to heart. The internet is the internet because of links. The other thing was to avoid clutter and large picture images. It was the 80s, and speed was horrid! So, I'm not nominating anyone. Only kidding:)

Daily Food Celebrations: Week Two

I'm a bit confused as to whether National Chocolate Chip Cookie Week is the second week of March or the third week of March. There are those that claim Chocolate Chip Cookie Week is the second week of the month, and American Chocolate Week is the third week. Does it really matter when it comes to Chocolate Chip Cookies? I think not. So, look what I dug out of the bookshelf archives; the Original Recipe for Toll House Chocolate Cookies. Go ahead check that package you recently bought at the grocer and see if there's any difference. (red * stars equal a previous post of mine)

March 7

National Crown Roast of Pork Day

Academy Awards presentations. What Star Recipes will you be creating? Here's a suggestion from 1981.

National Cereal Day
Did you see the darling cereal book I shared for National Cereal Day back in 2007? Here's a "taste" and the link. (It's really special:)


March 7, 1849, Luther Burbank was born. "During a lifetime devoted to plant breeding, Luther Burbank developed more than 800 strains and varieties of plants, including 113 varieties of plums and prunes, 10 varieties of berries, 50 varieties of lilies and the Freestone peach. He also developed new species of pineapples, walnuts, and almonds.

March 8

National Peanut Cluster Day

March 9

On this day in 1959, the first Barbie doll went on display at the American Toy Fair in NYC. source

America's namesake, Amerigo Vespucci, was born on March 9, 1451. Did you know, Amerigo Vespucci was a pickle dealer in Seville. While there, he peddled pickles to sea captains to prevent scurvy among the crew.

National Crabmeat Day 

March 10

National Blueberry Popover Day

March 11

Oatmeal-Nut Waffles Day

International Women's Day; Bread and Roses @ Green Gourmet Giraffe

* There seems to be a discrepancy when it comes to celebrating Johnny Appleseed Day. There are those who celebrate on the anniversary of his death, March 11, 1845. And, there are those, like me, who celebrate on September 26th the anniversary of his birth. (previous post full of apples:) Mae celebrates Johnny Appleseed Day with a real live John Chapman. Go see!!!

March 12

National Baked Scallops Day! Take a look at these beautiful scallops @ Taste of Beirut. Gorgeous I tell ya, gorgeous!!!

* Isabella Mary Mayson [Mrs. Beeton] was born on March 12, 1836. Isabella Beeton Wife & Fellow Worker

Happy Birthday Girl Scouts! March 12, commemorates the day in 1912 when Juliette Gordon Low officially registered the Girl Scout's first 18 members in Savannah, Georgia. March 6th kicked off Girl Scout Week in 2010. Thin Mints, please:)

March 13

National Coconut Torte Day

Joseph Priestley, the reputed "father of soda pop," was born in England, on March 13, 1733.

Oscar Michel Tschirky ("Oscar at the Waldorf") created his infamous Waldorf Salad for the opening of New York’s Waldorf-Astoria Hotel on March 13, 1893.

March 13th is also the birthday of Charles Grey, the 2nd, as in Earl Grey Tea.

British cookery writer, Jane Grigson, was born on March 13, 1928. Here's a recipe for Asparagus Soldiers from Jane Grigson's Vegetable Book. I just couldn't wait until Asparagus Day to share. (May 24th:)
Asparagus Soldiers
Asperges A La Fontenelle
An attractive way of economizing on asparagus comes from Belgium. Fontenelle is in Hainault, to the south of Charleroi, and close to the French border.
Serve everybody with a boiled egg and a small bundle of cold or barely warm asparagus. Put on the table a large pat of butter and a half loaf of brown bread, with salt and the pepper mill. Each person removes the top of his egg, seasons the nicely runny yolk with salt, pepper and a little knob of butter and dips the asparagus into it, nursery style. More bits of butter, more seasoning, may be added as the yolk goes down. Finish off the egg in the usual way with a spoon, eating it with bread and butter.
Note: If the asparagus is cold, it will be easier to manage; if it is tepid, it will taste even better. Provide napkins of cloth, not paper. 

Resources
1. March Food Days: Week One

24 comments:

  1. What an amazing thing you did! Thats my fear to grow older and alone since I dont have kids. Hope Marion enjoys this new phase in life. Im sure she will:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Louise, I love your posts. I can't wait to meet Marion formally, and to hear the rest of the story. I can imagine that it's amazing!

    Thanks for the Asperges a la Fontenelle. Asparagus season is coming here in Belgium, and we have a bazillion ways to eat it. This one is charming and very much a la bonne franquette, or 'family style'.

    As for keeping up with blogs, I just do my best. I try to spend some time each day on it, but sometimes it's just not possible, and then (like now) I have to try to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Louise - I am fascinated by your adventure! Can't wait to hear more about Marion. I share your questions about alpha blogging. I've had to create a very rigid routine, just to post once a week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet and giving gesture - can't wait to meet Marion! And chocolate chip cookie week is a good excuse to bake up a big batch. Thanks for sharing tidbits about yourself - that's a lot of books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yet another way you inspire me. Marion sounds delightful!

    As I type, the tree crew is tearing up my yard - I mean, doing their job - while the Knight and the shed tsar review our purchases (more nails) from last night. I still think you were wise beyond measure to order a shed that will arrive at your house all done up!

    Keeping up? I use Reader. Sadly, while I add more and more blogs to it, only those bloggers with whom I have a somewhat personal connection get comments regularly. Sissy has scribed a post for her blog that was supposed to go up yesterday, so now that breakfast for a half-dozen is over, I'll have to get right on that.

    I think you know I don't have a real job, don't believe in housework and have the most tolerant husband in the world. That's how I do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great list of celebrations. I'm going to follow your example and post some commemorations this month -- that's a commitment!

    How to post a lot? Don't try to be too consistent with scholarly long posts. Sometimes just a photo. My motto: set limited goals!

    Best... maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great story, you and Marion. She sounds like an adorable lady. I'm sure you both will have great adventures ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Louise! Do you know how flattered I am? Extremely! Thank you so very much! I love the 7 things about you. You couldn't get any cooler. I will get started on this fun award. Thanks a million times!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Louise
    First of all, let me thank you (profusely) on this award. I will have to post a few I have received all at once though.
    Also, I have read Marion's story and loved it! What an amazing thing you have done! It shows such generosity and courage! I truly admire you and am waiting with abated breath to hear more about Marion and you getting settled in PA.

    ReplyDelete
  10. To be honest, I thought the surprise might be a cookbook contest. I wasn't expecting an award. Thank you!

    I love the sound of those asparagus soldiers. As soon as the spring asparagus arrive, I think I'll have to try it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Louise,

    I had to ‘click’ to find out what on earth and Eskimo Pie actually is. I have heard of them but never knew quite what they were – sorry, I am having a cultural difference moment. I do seem to have quite a few of these.

    What a kind and caring soul you are to help Marion; and what a true friend. I always find it funny that we often meet people by chance but it seems to be the chance meeting that stay with us.

    Your posts are always interesting and informative; I always learn something new. As for how people keep their blogs up-to-date, you’ve got me! I type up a few posts on the weekend and post date them so they pop up during the week. I would never have the time to post each and every day but more power to those that do ;P

    Gillian
    X

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chocolate Chip Cookie week can be two weeks, as far as most of the world is concerned, right?

    Lucky Marion, having you to let her move in, and lucky you to have a friend who values you so much!

    I try to keep up with blogs, but don't use "reader" for no good reason. I try to comment on blogs for people with whom I have more of a connection regularly, and others when I have time.

    As for keeping up with it? My photos are pretty crappy - I'm lucky if I get one. I dash out my writing as I have time - which is not that regularly, although I try to find time each weekday. I have a sort of "schedule" (Garden Tuesday, Dog Thursday) that helps me figure out what I'm doing. And I just hope that at least a few people will read, so I don't feel like I'm talking to myself!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the new roomie! So nice of you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Personally, Louise, I have no idea how YOU do it! How do you have time to research and write these incredibly informative posts?! I love coming over here; you always have intriguing little tidbits to share. And I am so impressed at your 2,000 cookbooks/recipe leaflets. (I have maybe 200, so I'm glad to hear that that's not so many ;) Of course I do keep picking up more :o.) One of my very favorite things to do is to pull out cookbooks I don't use often and just read through. I wish I had time to make everything. Thank you for your wonderful blog. Keep up the great posts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am beginning to agree with Mae, just a photo sometimes is good enough. To paraphrase a well-worn aphorism: "So many bloggers, so little time." I really try to read my favorite bloggers at least once a week, some daily, but it gets harder and harder with everything else that needs to be done in life. Like cooking, reading, walking, talking ...

    Anyway, your work is always inspiring, fun, and filled with surprises.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How wonderful of you to have Marion move in with you and we can't wait to meet her here! Congrats on your award and thanks for all the cool holiday info!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I want to visit New York this year. Been one of my plans.

    And I'm surprised you do not like oregano in spaghetti sauce? Is it the combination or the herb itself you don't enjoy?

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful time you will have with Marion. When I first graduated from college, my first job was near my grandmother. I moved in with her and we had a blast. I got to know her after just visiting with my siblings during the summer. We had a wonderful time, and I was reminded even more of how special she was.

    I am so glad to see what's coming up on days to celebrate. - National Baked Scallops day will be duly noted as will Eskimo Pie Day. Thanks for all the wonderful insights and making my months so much more interesting,

    ReplyDelete
  19. Louise, I would LOVE to meet MArion! Oh, what a beautiful person you are...most people talk the talk, but don't walk the walk....you are truly inspirational and admirable in your kindness and compassion to other people! Marion is blessed to meet someone like you...and I'll bet you say the same thing about her, too! I'd love to know more about her!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I enjoy your blog and you so deserved the award. It was fun reading about you and sorry, I put you on the spot, in selecting the bloggers to share with.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you everyone for all your kind welcoming comments for Marion. She's quite a "hoot." I plan on formally introducing her on St. Patrick's Day. Your "how to" for keeping up with blogs is also much appreciated. I've put a few of them into motion already. As always, your kind words of encouragement are always a delightful sparkle to my days. Thank you so very much:)

    tigerfish: I know it's rather strange but I don't like oregano at all. Although, I do have a Mexican Oregano plant that I'm attempting to grow. In it's plant stage, the scent is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. lovely to read your 7 random things about yourself - I love reading your food celebration days, months and weeks - in fact I am baking choc chip cookies right now (they are in the oven) and I am thinking maybe I finally got to back some food on the celebration day/week/month - confess I have a limited time for reading blogs right now but try to keep on eye on your dates as I just love them

    ReplyDelete
  23. Welcome to my blog Johanna. It's so nice to "meet" you. I'm delighted you enjoy your food celebration visits. It's such fun to compile!!!

    You drop by any old time you like. I'll be making it over to Australia to visit you too!!!

    ReplyDelete

Through this wide opened gate,
none came to early,
none returned to late.

Thanks for dropping in...Louise