-

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Happy Sunday!!! Picnic News

Or, should I be greeting you with Happy Birthday Day!!! No, no, no, it isn't my birthday again, let's not get crazy. How many birthdays a year can a girl take? Today is the day the Happy Birthday Song was first published in 1893. I'll spare you the singing, I have what some call a "squeaky" voice and if we all started singing together, I'm sure we'd be out of tune. (have you ever been in a birthday choir when it wasn't?)

I guess it shouldn't come as much of a surprise to learn that according to The Guinness Book of World Records, "Happy Birthday To You" is the most popular song in the English language. The song seems to carry much controversy though about copyright dates and infringement use. Did you know, the song "Happy Birthday To You" is protected by copyright laws? It's true. Too much for my little head to digest. The melody was supposedly written by two kindergarten teachers, which also happen to be sisters, Patty and Mildred Hill. It was published as "Good Morning To All" in the book Song Stories for the Kindergarten.

"Happy Birthday to You" is the best-known and most frequently sung song in the world. Many - including Justice Breyer in his dissent in Eldred v. Ashcroft - have portrayed it as an unoriginal work that is hardly worthy of copyright protection, but nonetheless remains under copyright. Yet close historical scrutiny reveals both of those assumptions to be false. The song that became "Happy Birthday to You," originally written with different lyrics as "Good Morning to All," was the product of intense creative labor, undertaken with copyright protection in mind. However, it is almost certainly no longer under copyright, due to a lack of evidence about who wrote the words; defective copyright notice; and a failure to file a proper renewal application. (Robert Brauneis, George Washington University - Law School)

Today is also National Indian Pudding Day and National Orange Blossom Day. I found a low-carb recipe for Orange Blossom Cheesecake which uses orange blossom water and an Orange Blossom Drink which includes alcohol:)

Speaking of drinks, I would like to thank Tiare from A Mountain Of Crushed Ice (Cocktails, Tikidrinks, Rums and More) for her contribution to the picnic game. She couldn't make it this year but she did send along this recipe suggestion. She wished us a fun day too!!!

Aperol Spritz

2 oz. Prosecco
1 1/2 Aperol Orange Liqueur
1 dash(es) Soda or Seltzer

Prepare in wine glass: Add ice, Prosecco, dash of seltzer and top with Aperol.Garnish with a slice of orange.
Apple Mint, Flowering Strawberry Geranium & Lavender

We've got a picnic to go to so I'm just going to give you the skinnys on the foodie days for the rest of the week.

June 28th

National Tapioca Day

June 29th

Dig out that Waffle Iron, It's Waffle Iron Day!

National Almond Butter Crunch Day Why am I suddenly craving Butter Crunch Waffles?

Get your Picnic Game submissions in today. We're going on a picnic!!!

June 30th

National Ice Cream Soda Day

Are you a Gone With the Wind Fan? Gone With the Wind was first published on June 30, 1936. I shared recipes from the Gone With the Wind Cookbook way back in 2008. Here's the link.

Picnic Update

The Letters


The letters have been gobbled  up. Come see the Picnic Day Round-Up. Dee...licious!!! 

If you haven't chosen a letter yet, be my guest. If you have chosen already, grab another!!! I'm surprised the letter I still remains although, I have gotten two dibs on it but both are still undecided. First come, first serve:)

The picnic basket is getting filled and many of you have written to tell me you will have your letters in by day's end. The sooner we get all the letters in, the easier it is for others to post their goodies. I'll be sending out all the letters I have to everyone later this evening. Then, I will refill them as they come in. Please send your submissions with Picnic Game in the subject line to acalenda [at] gmail [dot] com.

Take my word for it "kids" we're going to have a wonderful selection of goodies at the picnic. I can't wait!!! 

15 comments:

  1. Re: birthday song: We have a speaker phone on our kitchen window sill. A few years back, all the kids were home on hubby's sister's birthday, so we dialed her number on the speaker. She wasn't home so the kids sang to her answering machine. Her husband's reaction was, "What the h*** was that??" She knew what it was; tunelessness runs in her sibs and their offspring!

    And I have a 3rd edition copy of GWTW!!! I've read it at least 20 times. I need to see that cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I wish I could take part but I am so busy with my move currently. I hope I can join next year. Yea, fast...talking about next year :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must make waffles for waffle iron day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. gone with the wind was a favourite with me when I was little - every now and again I wish I had the skill to make a dress out of curtains - love seeing all your lovely green pot plants too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Louise! Your celebrations are right up my alley! Especially tapioca. It's comfort food perfection!

    (posting tomorrow, so I hope C comes through soon! )

    ReplyDelete
  6. While the spritz sounds lovely, I like my Prosecco "plain", thanksmuch. I take spells on tapioca, so I suppose it is just as well I'm too busy to celebrate much this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, yesterday (June 27) was my birthday and I did not know this bit of info about the birthday song's date of invention! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been craving waffles! I shall make them tomorrow for breakfast. And I never really thought much about the birthday song - always took it for granted. U, X and Y? I wonder if there are any X foods!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That story is hilarious, Marjie. No matter how many times I ask my sisters not to sing, they say they won't and then they do, horribly. I know it's the thought that counts? You are quite the lucky girl to have a 3rd edition. I think I have a 20th!!! I hope you enjoyed the cookbook post. Let me know if you want any other recipes.

    You can still join our picnic, tigerfish. Drop by for the round-up July 1st. You won't believe your eyes!!! don't laught, I've already had requests for letters for next year. I kid you not!!!

    You must share them too, duckie.

    JoHanna I once had visions of skilled grandeur but that flew out the window with the sewing machine! At that particular moment, I do believe Scarlet could have made them herself. Thank goodness for Mammy though:)

    I grow all my plants in containers, Johanna. I love the flexibility of being able to move them about and get all up close and personal. I'm in the process of coddling a Carnation plant that's just about to bloom. It seemed to work with this Scented Geranium which was near death just a few months ago. The flower smells as delicate as do the leaves.

    Hey Barbara! I'm glad to hear someone else thinks of tapioca as comfort food. I was wondering if it was just me. About the letter C, I wrote Janet last night and gave her the letters she needed. I'm sure she won't be late for the picnic. If she is, we'll have to beat her with a wet noodle:)

    To busy to celebrate this week, Channon. I'm begining to think you are over booking yourself. Have a glass of Prosecco:)

    I'm singing Happy Birthday to YOU, Cynthia. Gee, I hope no one hears me I might wind up in jail for copyright infringement. Do they allow picnics in jail?

    I have such a craving for waffles too, Reeni. I may have to take Marion to Waffle Shop! Have I got an X food for you. It's called Ximenia. It's a typle of plant usually found in Africa which produces a fruit know as the mountain plum or wild limes. Both are edible. (thanks to Larousse p. 1028) Last year, Tavolini "brought" XXX Pizza! However, last year we didn't have a dish for the letter Z and this year we do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. U, X and Y...that would be a bit hard! Haha! "I" would be much easier.

    Gah, I wish I had a waffle maker! I wonder how much those costs....Butter Crunch Waffles sound so good right now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazingly enough, Sohpia. As of this moment, the only letter left is Y and it just may be taken, "as we speak." So cool...I hope you will join us for the Round-Up! I'll drop by your place after the round-up...

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow A great Idea.. Please invite me next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi astheroshe and Welcome! You are invited to join the Picnic Game Round-Up tomorrow. Wait until you see the goodies we have. There's tons of food to share! I made note to let you know next year.

    Thanks for dropping in...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just wanted to say that almond joy pie sounds SO GOOD!! What a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sook: I LOVE Almond Joy bars so you know it's on my list of someday recipes...

    Thanks for dropping by...

    ReplyDelete

Through this wide opened gate,
none came to early,
none returned to late.

Thanks for dropping in...Louise