-

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Picnic Game News

Grab a glass of heavenly lemonade and I'll catch you up on the latest Picnic Game News:)

Picnic Lemonade
Juice of 12 lemons
1-1/4 cups sugar OR 1 cup wildflower honey OR 1 cup Honeysuckle Syrup
3 quarts chilled spring water
Sprigs of fresh mint of lemon balm, for garnish

1. Heat the lemon juice and sugar or honey over medioum heat in a saucepan until the sugar or honey completely dissolves. Set aside to cool slightly.

2. In a gallon container, stir together the lemon mixture with the spring water. Fill glasses with ice, add a sprig of mint or lemon balm, and pour in the lemonade.
Honeysuckle Syrup:
Drizzle this syrup over luscious strawberries or use it to sweeten homemade lemonade.

4 cups packed honeysuckle blossoms
Sugar
Lemon Juice

1. Rinse the honeysuckle blossoms gently. Put the blossoms in a large saucepan and pour over enough boiling water to cover. Cover the saucepan, remove it from the heat, and let the mixture steep for 24 hours.

2. The next day, strain the cooled liquid into a large bowl, discarding the blossoms. Measure the liquid and pour it into a large saucepan. For each cup of the infusion, add 2 cups sugar and the juice of 1/2 lemon to the saucepan. Bring this mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture has a syrupy texture. Remove the pan from the heat, let the syrup cool slightly, and pour into lidded glasses or jars. Refrigerated, the syrup will keep indefinitely. Make 4 cups syrup. (Picnic Lemonade and Honeysuckle Syrup harvested from Prairie Home Cooking by Judith M. Fertig, 1999.) A very cool book, indeed:)

Picnic Game News

Update: The Round-Up is posted! Feast your eyes on these goodies!!!

There's still time to join in on the fun and play the Picnic Game. As is the case with most "family" gatherings, there's still tons to do. You haven't heard? We're "playing" the Picnic Game again this year. And, if you've never played before, follow this link. For those of you who ARE playing the Picnic Game, I have a few suggestions:

1. Send me your link and an image of you picnic goodies as soon as you possibly can. So far, Barbara has "packed" the letter F with her 5 Bean Salad and Anne is bringing Raspberry Chocolate Macarons with the letter R.

2. I've gotten a few emails about time limitations. So, I've made a few amendments.
   a. I've extended the deadline for post submissions until June 29th. That doesn't necessarily mean we don't need your post ASAP. It just means, we can keep adding as they come in with the final round-up still scheduled for July 1st, just in time for National Picnic Month.

3. If for some reason you simply can not find the time to create a new post because of time, you may want to revisit your archives and bring a previous post to the Picnic Game. It must be an entirely new post though, which includes all of the other guest letters and a link to the Picnic Game link and logo.

The Letters!

I'm going on a picnic and I'm bring... Letters, do I have letters for you! Ten to be exact. That's right, there are still 10 letters. Now, a normal person might worry that we have exactly one week until we virtually go on our picnic but, and that's a big but, I have every confidence that we will have enough goodies in that basket. I've tried to personally invite as many people as possible. (I'm still waiting on rsvps:) And there are oh so many I just haven't gotten to yet. I'll keep trying. So, if you know anyone, anywhere, that you think would like to join us on our picnic, be sure and ask them to drop by. If anyone out there is twitter high, why not give the Picnic Game a Tweet or Two. I'm going to get better about that too:)

Pick a Letter any Letter

As the letter pickins get slimmer, it may get more difficult to dream up a snappy name for your picnic dish. Last year Mary from One Perfect Bite solved the letter U dilemma by serving Ultimate Cheater Pulled Pork. Boy, it still looks good! (I just realized, I didn't get to Mary yet this year. Bad me...) Elise from Simple Recipes was too swamped to commit but she did send over Quesadilla, which not only looked yummy, it also took care of the uncooperative letter Q. Someone out there must have a Quesadilla recipe hanging around. I sure wouldn't mind a refreshing Incandescent Jell-O Salad at the picnic. How 'bout you? (I made that one up:) Okay, enough blabbing. Pick a letter and Let's Play the Picnic Game!!!

U and Y!
Don't forget, tomorrow is National Strawberry Parfait Day and Saturday, June 26th is National Chocolate Pudding Day!!!
Enjoy:)

13 comments:

  1. I'm glad you linked Barbara's post...now I know what you meant by leaving room :) I'll try to get mine up tomorrow if at all possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad it helped Julie.

    Just let me know when your post is up and I'll pass it along...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you mean everyone should post his article BEFORE the end of june? I thought we would start then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can post your letter any time you like Petra as long as it's before the 29th of June. Just leave room for the other letters A-J. Send me your email so I can give you the other links I have for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, I want some of that lemonade!! My post is going to go up in the first half of next week, Louise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking interesting! Will be fun to see the finished picnic..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara's post was fun! I can't wait to try her recipe, but your lemonade makes me want to head home and whip up a batch right this minute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's my Almond Joy Pie:

    http://moderndayozzieandharriet.blogspot.com/2010/06/almond-joy-pie-for-picnic.html

    Of course, I've included links to you!

    Marjie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doesn't it sound refreshing girlchef? Can't wait to see your post!!!

    You're in for a wonderful smorgasbord of picnic goodies, buffalodick You wait and see!!!

    Barbara's post does look wonderful Channon and I don't blame you, I just love the thought of Honeysuckle Lemonade.

    Almond Joy Pie, oh my!!!
    I'll be right over to feast my eye
    on your Almond Joy Pie!

    Thanks Marjie:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good work, Louise! Really difficult to get all of us on the same page at one time!
    I'm putting up a new post on Tuesday and will include the list up to then and will link back to you for the rest of the picnic list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Louise, I am working on my "E", should I send you the link once I have it posted? And yummie, strawberry parfait and chocolate pudding...what a great excuse to have them all ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds GREAT, Barbara I should have at least two more of your letters by Sunday night.

    Hi Juliana it would be wonderful if you could send me your link and an image once you've posted. I'm going to check to see if I have your email so I can send you the other dishes I have for you.

    I love pudding but, Strawberry Parfait is sounding mighty refreshing about now...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the sound of the lemonade and huckleberry syrup. Cannot wait to read what amazing things people come up with. You're a genius for inventing this game.

    ReplyDelete

Through this wide opened gate,
none came to early,
none returned to late.

Thanks for dropping in...Louise