-

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Quick Links: It's Ina Garten's Birthday! Let's Celebrate!!!

In case you've never noticed, I rarely, if ever, mention "Food TV" on this blog. The reason? I'm not a big fan of television in general and the only show I watch every now and again on The Food Network is Chopped.

Today, I make exception for the Barefoot Contessa; Ina Garten. That's right, one of the few TV chefs that I truly admire was born on February 2nd. (we don't really need to know what year now do we:)

I'm sure many of you have read her bio as she has a diverse collection of fans. However, my curiosity did get the best of me and I just had to dig just a little bit further. It's in my nature I suppose and, quite frankly, I just had to know what makes this "hostess with the mostess" tick:)

While promoting her book, Barefoot Contessa: How Easy Is That? back in August of 2010, Vanity Fair writer, Nicole Berrie, reaped a few lesser known "truths" about this Brooklyn born East Hampton native. When asked whether she preferred a Sailboat or a yacht, her answer was, "Neither! I’m not interested in owning anything that needs to be swabbed down." I must agree:) Other interesting tidbits I discovered about the former budget analyst during the Ford and Carter administrations are neatly packed in this article I found here.

I think it's time for the recipes, don't you? As I was browsing through my Hospitality Search Engine in my feeble attempt not to duplicate any recipes to include for todays post, I realized I may have bitten off more than I could chew. Ina Garten's recipe are everywhere! Oh, before I forget, did you know Ina's unpretentious approach to graciousness is appreciated not only in the US but also in Australia, the UK, Poland and the Middle East? I sure didn't. Her Barefoot Contessa show is everywhere too! No wonder so many people pay homage to her well balanced approach to simplistic style and elegance.

I decided the most effective way to experience a cornucopia of tasty Ina Garten dishes was to harvest them from fans like you. So, I sent off a few quick emails the other night and requested permission to include some of your favorite Ina recipes in a round-up. Now mind you, this round-up was gathered at the last minute and I truly appreciate each and every one for their kind generosity. Thank you All!

Barbara @ Moveable Feasts has a load of excuses for offering these tantalizing Sticky Buns from Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa, Back to Basics. As if we really need an excuse:)

Chaya is a dedicated fan of Ina's. Not only does she share this dish for Asian Baked Salmon , @ her Sweet & Savory blog, she also has a host of Ina recipes @ her Comfy Cook blog. Seriously Chaya, where do you get the time for all that amazing cooking?

Ina Garten fell in love with French cooking while traveling through France with her husband Jeffrey. She taught herself culinary techniques with the help of Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cookery while developing her love of French Cuisine. I can honestly say I would never have the patience or skill to assemble such a masterpiece as my Pennsylvania neighbor Gert has @ My Kitchen Snippets. Doesn't this French Apple Tart simply take your breath away?

This recipe for Ina's Baked Fontina Cheese, from How Easy is That? "screamed" to Kim @ My Kentucky Home and just needed to be shared. Kim, I can hear it from here and it's driving me wild! See what I mean!

When I feasted my eyes on The Food Librarian's adaptation of Ina Garten's Blueberry Crumb Cake, I scrambled around the kitchen trying to find the ingredients to bake one of my very own. You regular visitors know, I'm not much of a baker!!! Just look at this beauty of Mary's!!!

Lemon Fusilli with Arugula, don't you just want to dive in? Natashya @ Living In the Kitchen with Puppies has a way of just drawing you in to her delectable delights. And this tempting dish is no exception. Ready? Go!

Pam @ For the Love of Cooking instinctively knew something was missing from her usual recipe for Mexican Chicken Soup until she cooked up Ina's Mexican Chicken Soup recipe from the Barefoot Contessa at Home Cookbook. I must tell you, Pam knows these things. She has at least 96 Mexican recipes alone at her indescribably delicious blog and each and every one of them is more than tempting to this transplanted New Yorker who can't find decent Mexican food in rural Pennsylvania. I may just have to learn from Pam:)

I first "met" Rebecca @ From Argentina With Love while doing a post for United Nation's Day a while back. She won my "belly" with her desirous flan then and just plain tantalized me with her adaptation of Ina's Palmeritas this time. Oh goodness!

Now tell me, is there any one of you out there who isn't mesmerized by this comfy bowl of Stewed Lentils & Tomatoes from the gals @ The Sister's Cafe blog? As I listen to the hail tinkering on the stove chute, I wish I had a huge bowl, NOW!!! It really does look scrumptious doesn't it?

Tesia Love of FlavorDiva.com was more than generous in contributing her adaptation of Ina's Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuits. I can't help thinking they would be simply perfect with those Stewed Lentils & Tomatoes right about now. I hear them calling to me. No, I'm not dreaming, I'm whole heartily wishing...Just look at those "babies" more Oh Goodness:)

Need more recipes? Okay so you may not need them because, unlike me, you have all of Ina Garten's books. (I only have the Barefoot Contessa at Home in my library.) However, just in case, here are just a few more:

Mocha Chocolate Icebox Cake Janet's @ Dying for Chocolate

Ina Garten's Hashed Browns @ Serious Eats

Ina Garten’s Apple Turnovers @ Erin Cooks

Ina Garten's Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread @ Prudence Pennywise

Ina Garten's Mashed Potatoes @ Epicurious

Ina Garten's Brownie Pudding @ Nummy Kitchen

Pappa al Pomodoro @ You Little Tarte

A big hearty thank you to everyone for sharing Ina's birthday with me today. It was such fun visiting all of your blogs. I'll be sure to stop in to see what's cooking as soon as I get some sleep:) Louise

21 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to Ina. She has wonderful recipes; thank you for sharing these. Love her books and her TV show

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Louise! And, Happy Birthday to Ina. I think your efforts to crowd source Ina's recipes is really the best illustration of why she's so popular - people get excellent results from her recipes and return to her friendly advice time and again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Ina!
    ♥.•*¨`*•♫.•´*.¸.•´♥ HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU ♥.•*¨`*•♫.•´*.¸.•´♥ HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU ♥.•*¨`*•♫.•´*.¸.•´♥ HAPPY BIRTHDAY ♥.•*¨`*•♫.•´*.¸.•´♥ HAPPY BIRTHDAY ♥.•*¨`*•♫.•´*.¸.•´♥ HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU ♥.•*¨`*•♫.•´*.¸.•´♥ HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU ♥.•*¨`*•♫.•´*.¸.•´♥ HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU ♥.•*¨`*•♫.•´*.¸.•´ ♥.•*¨`*•♫.•´*.¸.•´♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to Ina. Louise, Ina is truly one of a kind. I have learned so much from her. One of my favourite Ina recipes is Grilled Herb Shrimp.

    http://decolady-randommusings.blogspot.com/2010/05/barefoot-bloggers-grilled-herb-shrimp.html

    I also love her original Turkey Meatloaf and Roasted Brussels Sprouts.

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also an Ina fan, and that's saying something... I'm not the fan-sort, really. Happy birthday, Ina!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a wonderful round up of Ina Recipes!! Yum! Thank you for including the Sisters Cafe:) Happy Birthday Ina!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a super round-up of Ina's recipes, Louise! I think I like her recipes more than any other Food Network star. They seem to fit into my life perfectly.

    Giggled to notice I posted these way back when I wasn't getting any comments! I also think I've seen her make an updated version of these using cranberries and white raisins for the holidays. Good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday to her, I love her recipes!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful collection of sweet and savory treats to celebrate Ina Garten's birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Louise,

    Thanks so much for your nice comments on my blog, You Little Tarte, We must be on the same wave length because I too just did a birthday post for Ina!

    I love your blog and will defnitely be back.

    Nadine (www.youlittletarte.com)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy b=day to your mentor in the kitchen; this post is making me want to get to know her. I have yet to read one of her books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ina is the best! Thanks for the shout out and link back to my site Louise.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am addicted to Pam's Mexican food. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isn't Ina amazing? I hope she had a wonderful birthday. I'm sure Jeffrey spoiled her well.

    Thanks for including me in the roundup!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry I missed the official birthday. That's fairly typical, however, I'll probably be late for the second coming :-). The recipes fellow bloggers sent you to celebrate the day are wonderful. I couldn't pick a favorite. I hope you have a great evening. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. All this looks extremely yummy ! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great to read you again! That is a wonderful collection of recipes. I have never cooked an Inna Garten dish....

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great group of recipes. You did a beautiful job. Proud to be one of the participants. Thanks for including me.

    I have some cooking to do from this page.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I didn't know that was Ina's birthday - it's mine too! How neat. Hope you have a great weekend Louise!

    ReplyDelete
  20. everything ina does seems to be fantastic--she's the epitome of 'hostess with the mostest.' nice homage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! This was fun! Thanks everyone!!!

    ReplyDelete

Through this wide opened gate,
none came to early,
none returned to late.

Thanks for dropping in...Louise