-

Friday, May 13, 2011

Sleep, Creep, Leap and a Bit of Sweet

I must apologize for my lack of posts and visits lately. The culprit, Fishing Creek Greenhouse. Remember this picture from way back in March?

Now, feast your eyes upon this!

And this!

Yes siree "Bob", We're a bloomin', Bigtime! Well, Fishing Creek is anyway. Me? Not so much.

Mound October 2010

You see, last year I decided I wanted to plant a simple flower garden; my first. Although I have planted quite a few larger flower gardens in my time, I've never actually had one of my very own. I've designed herb gardens and perennial gardens and even one knot garden for others, just as a hobby, but personally, except for a few decorative accents, I've always gone by the way of a veggie garden. Now that I live in "farm country," here in Central PA, and don't actually have to do farm work, I'm delighted to visit the neighborhood stands for the fresh produce of the day.

I haven't learned the seasonal calendar quite yet but I don't mind, surprise crops excite our menu. I have, discovered however that the season begins with baked goods. All kinds of goodies!

My approach to my new flower garden was rather cavalier. Oh, mind you, I drew sketches and graphs and wrote little note cards just like normal but, I pretty much tossed them mid stream. Figuratively that is. You see, I'm a clipper. If you spy me snooping about one of your plants or trees, don't be too alarmed until, you see this.

These are my trusty scissors. They are with me at all times. (not on my trips to Idaho of course:) I can whip them out in a moments notice if something strikes my fancy.

For instance, see this Red Twig Dogwood? I call it my Pizza Hut plant. Two years ago last December, when I was still living in New York, I made my usual 5 hour trek up to PA to check on the house. Alone and hungry, I decided to pick up something to nibble at on my way home. As I pulled into the Pizza Hut parking lot, what to my wondering eyes should appear, but this blazing red twig of a thing resting on a blanket of snow. I'm not sure if it was the way the neon sign was glowing or if my tired eyes were playing tricks on me but I immediately knew I had to have a piece. Plant piece not pizza piece, yet:) Out came my trusty scissor. Ever so gingerly I plowed through the snow bank, looked left, then right and then, SNIP! It was mine. Little did I know what it was and little did I care. I liked it and that, was That. The personal pan pizza supreme, not too much. There are many more clipping stories but I'll spare you, this time:)

Besides my clipping escapades, I'm also a seed snatcher. One morning late last summer, when I stopped at the local post office, I noticed the prettiest Marigolds caressing the cool white limestone. I always had Marigolds growing in the vegetable garden, it's one of the best companion plants there are for keeping aphids away. However, I don't think I ever appreciated them for their simplistic beauty. The post office Marigolds, that's what my labels read on my seedlings that are beginning to sprout, were a must have. La de la de la, with scissor in pocket, I slip into the post office to drop off my package. Dum dee dum dee dum, I lean over, dead head a few pretty marigolds and drop them in my pocket and quietly drive away.

Of course, I also enjoy actually buying plants too. That's when I met Katie. Katie has expanded her growing selections quite a bit this year. For one thing, this year she's growing Cockscomb. Yes, there's a story. I bought this Cockscomb flower head at a local flea market back in 2009. It stayed a striking bright red for months and months. As it began to fade, I noticed these teeny tiny seeds flaking around the bottom of the vase. Gee, I wondered, could they really be viable seeds. Will they grow? The answer dear readers is YES! You see that fuzzy trim near the top of the stem? The specks are hidden inside. How cool is that?

Well, as you can imagine, I managed to collect quite an assortment of seeds and twigs. I also bought way too many plants as the season progressed. Not knowing which would reproduce and which would not, I carefully labeled the seeds I was sure of and slipped them into envelopes. The seeds and twigs I wasn't so sure of I simply labeled don't know. Very scientific, don't you think?

Which leads us to the mound.

Mound April 2011

Funny thing about Pennsylvania soil. It's clay. I haven't quite gotten use to it yet. Coming from Long Island, I never really had to deal with clay soil. Although Long Island soil needs to be dressed to suit a plant's needs, you can pretty much get away with planting most zone friendly plants with little consideration. That has been my experience anyway. Okay, so I am accused of having a pale green thumb. That's not to say the soil doesn't have to be worked. It does. However, conditioning soil in Central PA is from the ground up, literally. Which is more than surprising to me. I'm in the center of an agricultural community and quite frankly, I am sometimes amazed by the cream of the crops. We're talking toiling here, back breaking work! I now understand why landscaping Long Island "style" is not Pennsylvania style. By the time residents have worked the fields, who has time for flower gardening. And yet, professional landscaping is a booming business around here. I figured that out too. There's just so much land and open space. It needs to be tending to. Good thing for me I don't have quite an acre. If I had more than that, I'd be going by the way of pro landscaper or au naturel. (I may not even take care of the weeds in the yard. I may leave them natural as well. We'll see:)

Okay, so at the end of the season last year, I scavenged around for compost, top soil and all the trimmings. My plan was to plop a mixture in a mound and plant it with whatever my little heart desired. Not so fast. Remember those plans and sketches? Well, they called for a little less plopping and a bit more planning. But, what do do with the stash of seeds and twigs? Plant, plant, plant. Out the window went the best laid plans. I've got seedlings growing everywhere! I had so many youths hanging around here that I had to send some off to Katie's greenhouse for her to grow and sell. And, Marion hasn't been totally innocent in this questionable endeavor. Let's just call her the mail order gardening Queen. Seriously, we get nursery deliveries nearly every day. Mostly bulbs. All kinds of bulbs. Most of them are planted in big tubs so I can move them around the yard or put them in front of the shed. However, right smack in the middle of the mound are planted four tulip trees. Yes, tulip trees. I must admit, I'm new to Tulip Trees. I haven't seen one up close and personal, but if they grow as the directions say they will, they should be 6 feet in three years. Now, I call that leaping!!! Beautiful gifts from Marion:)

I'm focusing more on perennials while Katie is growing wild in annuals. People seem to like instant color after a long winter such as we had this year. Me, I don't mind waiting. As a matter of fact, Katie has a saying about perennials.

The first year they sleep.
The second year they creep.
The third year they Leap!

Tis true, you know:) My bird inviting butterfly inspiring flower bed is going to be my back yard sanctuary you just wait and see!!!

Mound May 2011

I did need help putting up the fence but the rest, well you guessed it, little 'ol me. Hey, I even bought a dump truck that I can barely drive. What do you think of this, Marjie:)

How else would I haul manure? Yes, gentle readers, I've been working my butt off. That's okay though. It's been a long difficult winter all around and believe me, my butt has plenty to show for it:) I'll keep you posted on how the growing is going but for now, rest quietly knowing I'm thinking about you all and will try to at least post once a week until things are a bit more situated around here. Who knows, maybe I'll finally buy that laptop I've been promising myself and blog right from my own little corner of the world.

A Bit of Sweet

I just can't leave you without dropping off at least one note of trivia and a few recipes, now can I? How about something sweet? Karo for instance. According to the Karo website, on May 13, 1902, both Karo Light and Dark Corn Syrup were first introduced by the The Corn Products Refining Company of New York and Chicago. 1902? Wow! Karo is older than Marion. Marion, however, is much more refined:) It just so happens that I have a few Karo Corn syrup cookbooks. The Corn Products Refining Company was never stingy with their vast amount of promotions. But that dear readers will have to be a post for another day.

Since the state of Minnesota celebrated its statehood on May 11th, why not begin with a recipe from Minnesota? BTW, did you know, Minnesota is the "birthplace" of both SPAM & and Betty Crocker? As a matter of fact, like many states, Minnesota has an official state food. Curious? Check this out. You may as well check out the SPAM museum, also in Minnesota, while you're at it. I'll be plating up some Potato Piggies while you're gone. The recipe is from The New Karo All American Cook Book. (a collection of prize winning recipes from all 50 states and other favorites from the Karo kitchens)

Potato Piggies
2 cups cooked mashed potatoes
8 frankfurters, halved crosswise
1/2 cup corn flake crumbs
1/2 cup Karo dark corn syrup
1 cup canned French fried onion rings
parsley, optional

Directions
1. Spread potatoes completely around each frankfurter half with spatula or knife.
2. Roll in corn flake crumbs
3. Arrange in lightly grease 8 inch square baking dish and drizzle with Karo syrup.
4. Sprinkle with onion rings and parsley flakes.
5. Bake, uncovered, in 350° F. oven 20 to 25 minutes, or until well browned and crisp.
Makes 4 servings.

And, you thought Karo was only good for Pecan Pie. Or is it? (see resource #1 for pecan pie info. Way cool...) The next recipe I'm just going to scan. It's way past my bedtime, now that I'm an official gardener, and I have to haul a few loads of mulch tomorrow:)

Sadly, I won't be posting this Sunday, which happens to be National Chocolate Chip Day. Yes, I know, some celebrate in August but Candy USA goes with May and I'm with them! (August Chocolate Chips? Not so much:) In the midst of everything, we're having our annual community yard sale this weekend. Oh I know, a city girl like me speaking community yard sale language. What has happened to me:) It should be fun with lots of food including a chicken barbecue compliments of our local firehouse. Those guys:) Marion is really looking forward to it. I won't even tell you how many hats, scarves and darling little purses she crocheted. Last year she simply gave them away to anyone who "looked" like they wanted one. There were many:) Enjoy the rest of your week everyone. "See" you next week, for sure!!!

Resources
Repast, the official publication of the Culinary Historians of Ann Arbor. (scroll to Summer 2006)

18 comments:

  1. Spring has sprung, indeed! Great to see that you are getting your hands dirty and loving the flowers of your labor! Great post, Louise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Louise I love all these pies look awesome and love your recipe.
    I had porblem with my last post I have to do again, huggs gloria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing. There's nothing in your photos that I didn't like! No wonder you're busy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, so you're a "clip"tomaniac are you? What a fun post! You've been a busy girl! That Potato Piggies recipe sounds very interesting, I just might have to try it. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    Lisa :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow the pic of the pies is making me hungry. I finally posted today after a long sabbatical lol. Hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am no gardener so I admire those who are - enjoy the flowers, the yard sale and the country air and a happy choc chip cookie day - shame we finished the last of my most recent batch last week or I could celebrate in style but I have other ideas for baking today (none involving karo either - have never heard of it but I think I know the sort of sweet sticky syrup)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kudos to you, Louise! I have great hopes for your "mound"!
    Fishing Creek Greenhouse is blooming....oh how I miss springs in Michigan and all the nurseries!
    And I know those produce stands have the BEST baked goods! There's one in northern Michigan that's as good as any pastry shop I've ever been to.
    Loved this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow n- it looks like the Fishing Creek Greenhouse is indeed full of bloom. I love visiting farmers markets and produce stands - they have the best food.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gretchen literally nudged the screen with that PANK shot!!

    Love the red truck, but what I really enjoy is the passion in your voice. Can't wait to watch the mound continue to blossom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, your garden will be full and beautiful in no time! Happy gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVED reading this post, but then I am such an avid gardener that I could talk about gardening all day (I was most impressed that you designed your own knot garden!). I'll be very anxious to see your new flower bed through the various stages of summer. But, here's something I want to know, do you really carry scissors in your pocket??

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love dirty hands Louise ;-) Awesome post.. I can't wait to see how your 'mound' flourishes this year! I just picked up my truckload of cow & llama manure this morning... sweet sweet sweet LOL Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have me cracking up over your clipping and snipping! I can't wait to see how pretty it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi T.W. It's more like I'm getting my hands muddy. It's been raining for days. I hear Long Island isn't much dryer.

    Thanks Gloria. It looks like your repost went well:)

    Oh so busy, Yummy:)

    Yes, Lisa, I guess you could call me "clip"tomaniac. And it is just so much fun!!!

    Welcome back Dia. Your blog is a fabulous as ever!!!

    They are pretty aren't they, tigerfish?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, Johanna, Karo is pretty much just plain old corn syrup.

    I too have great hopes for the mound, Barbara. If only we would get some sunshine...

    Me too, Pam.

    Thank you for your sweet words, Channon.

    Finger crossed, Lisa:)

    I can not tell a lie, Pattie. I do really carry that scissor in my purse. Always! (except on airplanes:)

    Happy Gardening to you to YankeeSoaper! The season may be off to a slow start but I'm still stocking up on "sweet, sweet, "manure! Loved the haddock recipe!!!

    I crack myself up when I whip out my little gardening knife, Reeni. You should have seen me yesterday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not the orchid thief, then, but the seed/twig thief! I love it. Knew we had so much in common. I, too, gather seeds and cuttings when I find them. If you're on Facebook, be sure and check out my garden photos. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I thought I remembered you mentioning your green thumb here and there, Janet. I'm not on Facebook but I would love to see your garden photos.

    ReplyDelete

Through this wide opened gate,
none came to early,
none returned to late.

Thanks for dropping in...Louise