-

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Moldy Cheese and a Cookbook Party Update

I just thought of one more reason "Why Cookbooks Are Here To Stay," Moldy Cheese Day! That's right folks, today is National Moldy Cheese Day and have I got a book for you!


...Roquefort is considered as the "King of cheeses". It has a tingly pungent taste and ranks among blue cheeses. Only the milk of specially bred sheep is used and is ripened in limestone caverns. It has the cylinder-shape with sticky, pale ivory, natural rind. Ripe Roquefort is creamy, thick and white on the inside and have a thin, burnt-orange skin. The ripening of the cheeses is in the natural, damp aired caves found under the village of Roquefort-sur-Soulzon...(cheese.com)

Don't you just love "moldy" legends!

The Legend of Roquefort Cheese

Long ago, a young French shepherd boy took his sheep out to graze near the little village of Roquefort. During this time a sudden downpour occurred which forced the boy to take shelter in a cave. When the rain stopped, the boy had to go out and round up the sheep so that he could take them home. However, he had forgotten his lunch. It would be several weeks before he would return, to that particular cave, to find that his lunch was still sitting where he had left it. The bread was dried and had crumbled away and the cheese seemed to have veins of green growing throughout. Although it did not look to be very good, the boy was very hungry and took a bite from the discolored cheese, and decided that it tasted better than any cheese he had previously had. So, the boy ran down to the village, shouting, "a miracle, a miracle," The people that gathered around the boy sampled the cheese, and from that day on they began bringing cheese to the caves around Roquefort so that it could be transformed into blue cheese. The same caves are still used for the manufacturing of Roquefort Cheese, today. This is the story that is so often told that even schoolchildren, by the time they reach the second grade, in Roquefort, know this story, verbatim. (source) Some say, it was on June 4, 1070, that a charter was granted to the village of Roquefort-sur-Soulzon, in the Auvergne region west of Provence, for the production of the cheese. (source)

Roquefort It's Caves and It's Cheese


Roquefort Cheese In History


And look what we have for Apple Month And Dessert Month, a Roquefort Apple Dessert.

Another good reason Why Cookbooks Are Here To Stay?

Cookbook Party: Week 1

I must say, I'm quite impressed with this weeks contributions for the Cookbook Party. I was a bit worried at first, you know how bad I can be at directions and "rules." (does Picnic Day ring a bell:) It seems I have a bit of honing to do on the invitation post. So, please excuse the lack of titles and adaption notes in some of the entrees. After all, the party was "thrown" together as a blogoversary Surprise Party and we'll be celebrating all month!!! Just in case you want to refresh your memory, and perhaps check and see if I've done any revisions, just follow the Cookbook Party link in the sidebar on the left or this one:)

Cookie Month

#1 Pam, hostess of Gone ta Pott, chose a recipe for Pecan Pie Cookies from the Southern Living 2000 Annual Recipes Cookbook. Don't they look yummy!!!

Cranberry Month

For Cranberry Month, we received two entries and would you believe, one for Cranberry Chutney and the other for Cranberry Sauce! We have #3 our third entry from Mae, hostess of Mae's Food Blog, who used home made cranberries in her brownies rather than chocolate chips or walnuts. Sounds good, doesn't it?

And we have #8 Channon from Chan Knits who dug out her Cranberry Sauce recipe to share. Duckie thanks you too Chan:)

Dessert Month

#2 Joyce adapted her recipe for Minted Strawberry Cupcakes on her blog, Kitchen Flavours. The recipe is from Wild About Cupcakes by Rachel Lane. I just want to "pluck" one right now!

#5 Lidian not only introduced us to a "Dessert From Out of the Air," she also celebrated "the Original Radio Girl," Vaughn De Leath, and her favorite dessert but, you'll have to pop by Kitchen Retro to find out what it is...



#10 Trisha Faye is new to Months of Edible Celebrations. Put on you game face and give her a warm welcome will ya? The theme of her blog is "A Reason to … Celebrate, Remember, Have Fun!" Any wonder why we've "met." She brought Aunt Mae’s Chess Pie adapted from The Texas Experience: Friendship & Food Texas Style cookbook.

Pasta Month

#9 Once again from Trisha, a Pierogi recipe for National Pasta Month. She also shared this recipe on her blog for Pierogi Day which was October 8th. I adore pierogis, don't you? (I'm just not sure how to spell them plural:)

Pizza Month

We have lots of pizza for Pizza Month. Not only did #4 Joyce contribute the fourth entry, she also contributed two, yes TWO unique pizzas. Chicken Rendang Pizza and Thousand Island Tuna Pizza at Kitchen Flavours.

And what about this Potato Pizza from #6 Lena at Frozen Wings. We sure do have some "out of the box" pizza entries, don't we?

Pork Month

Like #7 Erica says, "This week isn’t really about making a recipe so much as making an ingredient. And, since October is National Pork Month, this is a great time to write about… LARD!" I totally agree. Go visit Retro Recipe Attempts to follow Erica's process for making your own home made lard. Way cool...BTW, her inspiration melded when she spied a vintage Armour Star Lard advertisement.

I would like to take a moment to thank all of you for joining the Cookbook Party. I have a few wrinkles to iron out but I'm not worried. It is the first time and I think its going rather well. I would also like to thank Linda from Linda's Vittles, Helene from Masala Herb and our Girl Chef, Heather for kicking off the #CookbookParty on twitter this past week. Rather than choose one of you tweeters, I've decided to send each one of you a small gift. Email me with your postal info when ever you get a minute. You too can win a small gift for tweeting once again this week. Check out those "dang" rules:)

Ready to begin Week Two of the Cookbook Party? I surely am. Pop over and review the "rules" and then get those recipe adaptations in. If your curious as to who this week's winner is, and what the prizes are, It's a Surprise! (Oh okay, I'll be giving you a sneak preview on Thursday:) Now, go dig out those cookbooks!!! And, have FUN! Louise

Cookbook Party Related Posts & Updates

October 17, 2011: As of this amendment, the Cookbook Party has begun its third week. For ease of navigation, I have listed posts that have anything to do with the party and a brief description.

1. It's a Surprise!

This is a list of October celebrations much like the one in the left sidebar except this list includes links to the "sponsors" of the respective event.

2. It's a Cookbook Party
The invitation to the Cookbook Party can be found here. It also includes the infamous "rules."

3. Cookbook Party Entries Week One
We had a cornucopia of delicious entries for the party in the first week. Go see...

4. Preview of Give-away Cookbooks.
I've always been terrible at keeping a secret when it comes to cookbooks. So, these are the books which I will be giving away. One each week for the month of October. If it isn't October 31, 2011 yet, you still have time to join!

5. October Cider Cake and Cookbook Party Entries Week Two.
The Cider Cake alone is worth a visit. Oh no, don't be silly, I didn't actually bake it. The recipe comes from the Southern Heritage Cookbook. And, if you thought Week One had some unique and delicious entries, Week Two has even more!

35 comments:

  1. Now you're talking, Louise! The one thing I like more than a good fluffernutter is roquefort cheese. A "miracle" indeed! That kid was absolutely correct!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For Moldy Cheese Day I posted a Blue Cheese Truffle recipe last year. They're really fabulous.. best to use a dark chocolate and a mild blue cheese.
    http://dyingforchocolate.blogspot.com/2010/10/blue-cheese-truffles-moldy-cheese-day.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. All look amazing and delicious I have to make my recipe this week Louise I have always a porblem I s difficult choose!! I love all recipes . But today is D day...
    Love this post Louise, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm..I loooove moldy cheese =) I don't think I was confused by your rules...but now I'm confused. ha haha. Thanks so much, Louise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG. I NEEED that cookbook. Bleu cheese is what makes my world go 'round. (Okay, only one of many flavors, but still.)

    I still owe a lasagna recipe to another friend, and a raw apple cake to another, so I think I can keep this up...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've posted a lot of desserts, because they're the thing everyone looks forward to in this house. I meant to post for you, I really did, but life happened while I was making other plans. Maybe next week. Depends on how things shake out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love roquefort! It's great in sweet and savory dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, delicious yummies! And I have never tried moldy cheese before, wonder how it tastes like! More recipes linking up, Louise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm coming on the cookies, I promise...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post was so enlightening! We have been Roquefort fans since I was a kid...my mother used to crumble it on salads. Okay, I am going to read the rules again and see if I can participate in the cookbook party.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How interesting this apple dessert with moldy cheese. The combination of cheese, raising, walnut and apple sounds delicious.
    Hope you have a great week and thanks for this recipe Louise...by the way, thanks for the links :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A wonderful roundup! Everything looks amazing and so droolworthy.

    I am a big fan of blue cheeses!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know where I've been, Louise, but I missed your post on the cookbook party! Really a fun idea and I'd love to join in, but probably won't be able to do it every month. I'll go check your list.
    Anyway....love roquefort and indeed have some in the fridge right now. Someone online made some savory madeleines with it (and pears) and I thought what a super idea it was.

    ReplyDelete
  14. that's an interetsing story of the boy and the cheese. I havent actually tasted a blue cheese before but it's available here, i think i just need to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Louise,
    Sorry I have been off the beaten track. I have to say I agree that Roquefort is considered as the "King of cheeses. We love ot but not always easy to find. I make the best Ceasar Salad using this cheese. Now i am going back to study your last post/party. I really enjoyed the picnic.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  16. That makes two of us, T.W. Better stock up on the Peanut Butter though, worse crop in 30 years!!!

    Thanks for sharing that link Janet. Curious; I'll need to check it out.

    Not to worry, Gloria. There is still plenty of time. Whatever you choose I'm sure it will be deee...li...cious!!!

    I have a tendency to confuse people, Heather even when they weren't confused in the first place. LOVE those Alfajores!

    Now it is I who is surprised. I just never figured YOU for a bleu cheese kinda gal, Chan. I'll check and see if I have another, just for YOU! (I doubt it though) Lasagna apple cake, now there's a thought, lol...

    It is FUN, Mae. Will you be joining us again?

    I certainly understand, Marjie. I've been trying to catch up in the back yard in between rain drops, more on the way I'm afraid. Life sure does have a way of getting in the way sometimes. Gotta LOVE it though:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was rather late to discovery its sweet side Yummy. But now, I absolutely agree!

    Good point, kitchen flavours. I should have gone more into the taste. I grabbed this from Wisegeek. Roquefort blue cheese is an acquired taste. Many are thrown off by its strong smell and do not attempt to taste it. This is a pity, since the Roquefort's moist and creamy texture is indeed a delectable experience not to be missed. Can't wait to see the next recipe(s)!!!

    I can wait Miranda. I know they are going to be just "duckie."

    It's unanimous Patti!

    The rules may be a bit confusing, Susan. Just let me know if you have any questions. I do hope you will join in!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So much deliciousness - the potato pizza looks incredible! And I love stinky, moldy cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've put it on my very long list of "someday" recipes, Juliana. We'll see...

    Thank you, Rosa. Everyone did such a GREAT job!!!

    Hi Barbara! Madeleines with pears & Roquefort sounds intriguing. I do hope you will be able to join us. I'm sorry if I explained it as though it is a monthly party. It is only for the month of october because october is Cookbook Month and my blogoversary!!!

    Caesar Salad with Roquefort? Now there's an intriguing concept. I adore traditional Caesar Salad but I sure would be willing to give it a try for the "King" that is:) The Cookbook Party is different than the Picnic, Rita. The Cookbook Party has prizes and is or more like a give-away. It's the first year I'm trying it so we'll see how it goes. I'm so glad you enjoyed the Picnic. I must admit, it's my favorite too:)

    Everyone did a GREAT job, don't you think, Reeni. I Love stinky moldy cheese too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I gave you an entry on Monday which can fit in either (or both) of 2 categories, and one today for the Cool Kids Food category! I can't ignore you, after all!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i'm just not a fan of stinky cheese, and not just because it seems so unnatural to be eating mold--the taste is foul! to tangy for my tastes, that's for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Got it Marjie. Thanks. I put you in order.

    It is an acquired taste Grace. So, I understand:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love Moldy cheese, especially Roquefort!
    Your cookbook party looks like lots of fun, I love all the entry's you shared with us,so many wonderful dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  24. i used to dislike blue cheese immensely, but over the years, i seem to have acquired a taste for it - this recipe does sound delicious, have bookmarked it to try :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Chef Dennis! what a wonderful surprise. Yes, the party has been fun! Everyone has done a fantabulous job and there's more to come...I was going to drop by your blog with an invite but it appears, you are one busy blogger. You are of course more than welcome to join us. I still remember that Pomegranate Mousse Cake you brought to the picnic. Oh goodness. Thanks for popping in...

    Hi Janine and Welcome! You have a mighty tasty looking blog. I'll be back to visit longer as soon as I can. I just got a glimpse of your Spiced Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins, with a Crumble Topping and I know I'm going to want them!!! Drop by anytime. The door is always opened:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ok, lard just lept to up at the top of my to-do list...after going around town and gathering from abandoned apple trees.

    That cheese looks so good! Unfortunately, I have a severe penicillin allergy, and so blue cheese has actually caused an allergic reaction before!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You're almost as bad as me, I go around snipping cuttings from abandoned flowers and trees! Love the Lard!!!

    That makes sense, Jesse. No blue cheese for you:) Thanks for joining in!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Louise, I'm writing my post now! It'll be up tomorrow (need to let it rest overnight and edit in the morning) and I'll let you know. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Not to worry Linda. I'm a bit late getting today's post up too. It's been another one of those days:)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I can't wait to tell my daughter she was born on Moldy Cheese Day! Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  31. As I recall, Inger wasn't someone else in your family born on a food day?

    ReplyDelete
  32. JUST FOR FUN I'm adding Crispy Crickets from The eat a bug cookbook. LOL! It's "a recipe to add to all recipes" and fits in ALL food observance categories. Since it's also Halloween this month I thought it would be fun to blog about too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. That sounds fabulous, Pam!!! It's been one heck of a day but I'll be over ASAP! (roof leak, ug...

    ReplyDelete

Through this wide opened gate,
none came to early,
none returned to late.

Thanks for dropping in...Louise