-

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Daffodil Cake for St. David's Day

March is here, and neither the roaring
of the lion nor too early appearance of the
"March Lamb" can dim our joy, for
March is the first month of spring and all
nature is waking from its winter sleep.

"The Modern Gladiolus Grower" 1914

Since the weather has been so cooperative in my neck of the woods this year, I thought it the perfect time to share a Daffodil Cake recipe for St. David's Day! St. David is the Patron Saint of Wales. In times past, and in some regions today, men wear a leek in their hat in tribute to St. David and women wear daffodils the national flower of Wales.

I first re-encountered Daffodil Cake over at Marjie's a while back and since, I've been waiting for just the right day to introduce it to you! We all know I'm not much of a baker, heck lately I'm not much of a cook either but that's a story for another day, lol:) Marjie was so sweet to let me share her cake with you and for that I thank her! Thank you Marjie. You can get Marjie's recipe which she harvested from the "new" Fannie Farmer cookbook (I'm guessing the revised edition by Marion Cunningham ) over at The Modern Day Ozzie and Harriet blog:) Don't you just want to devour it? As Marjie says, "The cake had a wonderful citrus flavor."
Daffodil Cake
I remember skimming through a few of the early editions of Ms. Farmer's cookbooks and couldn't find a recipe for Daffodil Cake. As far as I can tell, the original Daffodil Cake recipe surfaced sometime in the 1930s. What "cracks" me up about the recipe is the amount of eggs it uses. To have such an egg laden cake so popular during the 1930s seems rather odd but, it seems, the purveyors of Swan's Down Cake Flour may have introduced it in the late 1920s or early 1930s. I did find a copy of the Van Nuys Newspaper online published in July of 1932 where three cakes were provided for contestants to bake in a cooking contest. One was a Daffodil Cake. It's extremely difficult to read but if you want to give it a try, and maybe your eyes are stronger than mine, here's the link. (the online magnifying glass is easy to manipulate once you get the hang of it:) BTW, the other two choices were Chocolate Angel Food Cake and Burnt Sugar Cake. (you really should follow those links one is at Anna's Cookie Madness and the other is for Old Fashioned Burnt Sugar Cake which looks phenomenal!)

What is a Daffodil Cake? I guess you could say it is a marbleized yellow sponge/angel food cake baked in either a Tube pan or an Angel Food cake pan. Unlike Chiffon Cakes, it contains no butter, shortening or oil. It can be served unfrosted, or for special occasions such as birthdays, it can be glazed or frosted with butter cream. When prepared correctly, the colors are reminiscent of a cheerful daffodil!


The secret to any these types of Foam Cakes is all in the beating and the incorporation of air. Here's what I found at The Joy of Baking.


Sponge: A light and airy cake that contains three basic ingredients: room temperature eggs, sugar, and flour and is leavened solely by the air beaten into the eggs.  A basic sponge cake is made by beating the egg yolks and sugar until thick and lemon colored (when beaters are raised the mixture will form a ribbon as it falls back into the bowl) and then stiffly beaten egg whites (with a little sugar) are folded in.  Contains no fat.  A very versatile cake that can be flavored with extracts, nuts, citrus zests, liqueurs and can be baked in round cake pans or else a sheet pan.  Can be eaten plain or filled with whipped cream, buttercream, jam or preserves, fruit, fruit purees, nuts, chocolate, etc.
Angel Food Cake: Sometimes referred to as Angel Cake and because of its airy lightness is said to be the "food of the angels".  This cake has no egg yolks, fat, or artificial leavener so it relies totally on stiffly beaten egg whites for leavening.  Its sole ingredients are egg whites, cream of tartar, sugar, flour, salt and flavoring (such as extracts).  Angel Food Cake has the highest sugar content of all the sponge cakes and this added sugar is needed to support and stabilize the whipped egg whites. Because the egg whites give the cake its volume and structure care must be taken when adding them to the dry ingredients so they do not deflate.

Daffodil Cake was quite popular well into the 1970s. Here's a recipe from Betty Crocker.


As I was searching for Daffodil Cake variations, I stumbled upon Pig Lickin' Cake. Well, since today is also National Pig Day, I just had to include it too! Apparently, Pig Lickin' Cake, a Mandarin Orange Cake, is very popular in the south and often confused with Daffodil Cake. Like Daffodil Cake, it too can be prepared with a cake mix:)

Today is also Peanut Butter Lovers' Day for all you Peanut Butter Lovers out there. While I'm at it, and since I won't be back until Sunday, don't forget Banana Creme Pie Day tomorrow and National Mulled Wine Day on Saturday.

revised Feb. 2014

Resources:
1. Fannie Farmer Cookbook (1896 @ Feeding America)
2. Candy Daffodils (From Good Housekeeping made from Laffy Taffy and fondant)
3. Pretty Daffodil Cake (The daffodils are made with gum paste. The stems are marshmallow fondant.)
4. Recipe Bridge (a newly discovered recipe search engine) hey you talented "foodtographers" submit your gorgeous pictures!
5. No-Bake Daffodil Cake (Sandra Lee)
6. Daffodil Cake Custard
7. Retro Daffodil Recipe (1952)
8. Daffodil Cake Pops (so cute)
9. Welcome March (last year's monthly list and days)

20 comments:

  1. What a great looking daffodil cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a post! I really appreciate that you do so much research on the origins of recipes. I especially enjoyed the definitions of the types of cakes today.

    Happy March!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Louise I dont have idea is Sanit David day, I have a friend with David name!!
    Thanks a lot to say me.
    :)
    This Daffodil cake look adorable and delicious like all your posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi louise!

    Oh I didnt know it is St.Davids day today. I did hear lots of stories about wales and st.david, their last prince was davyd ap Gruffydd (what i remember).

    That Daffodil Cake looks surely appetizing. I hadnt heard about it before and I am glad I did now. thanks a lot for sharing! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this holiday. There are 40,000 daffodils blooming on a hill near me right now.. yes 40,000.... beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Louise, what a beautiful cake. I never heard of Daffodil Cake. I love recipes and stories about food from back in the day. Thanks for teaching me something new. This would be a lovely cake for Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cake looks pretty, first time I heard of Daffodil Cake, and I'm glad to know of it! Looks so fluffy and delicious, especially with all the yummy frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty! Linking on my Facebook feed right away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This cake looks simply beautiful! I love sponge cakes...so light and fluffy! My mom always made them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Daffodil Cake was wonderful. I'm so glad you were able to use my photo and link. You always write such fun and informative posts! Happy March!

    PS: I wrote about the book set in our neck of the woods today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How perfect for spring! And my daughter is even going to Wales in a few weeks...

    ReplyDelete
  12. St. David's Day is a new one on me, but I fondly remember eating daffodil cake years ago. The Mandarin Orange was my favorite variation, so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always learn something from your posts. The daffodil cake looks lovely & delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Weekend, Louise! I think you've just handed me my recipe for Easter Dinner dessert! Hope the daffodils are blooming in your neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never heard of daffodil cake, but I love the contrast between the while and yellow of the cake. And the Betty Crocker recipe capture cracks me up - it looks exactly like some pics out of a few vintage cookbooks I own ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. i've read that it's quite a popular cake for mother's day too, i wonder if there's a story behind it..Keep well, louise!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, I learn so much about cakes today! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It sure is "purty" Yummy. Marjie did a wonderful job and I thank her for sharing...



    Thanks Channon. I guess there is a Daffodil Cake in the Knight's future, lol...

    Thank YOU, Gloria. So glad you liked it!

    Hi Helene! Thanks for visting. I'm so glad you discovered a new cake to "play" with!

    OMgoodness, Janet. You really should share a pic of 40,000 daffodils blooming. My daughter, who is not much into flowers, loves daffodils!!!

    It would be a festive cake for Easter, Angela. You should bake one and share, lol...

    It does look yummy, doesn't it kitchen flavours. I'm working on my daughter to bake me one for Mother's Day:) We'll see....

    Thanks Jesse. That's so sweet of you:)

    Thank you Kathy. I'm delighted you enjoyed the cake!

    Happy March, Marjie and Thank you again. Your Daffodil Cake really did make this post so much more FUN!!!

    How exciting for your daughter, Inger. I here Wales is a partying place for St. David's Day!!!

    I'd love to try the Mandarin Orange too Pattie. I'll be in Idaho for Mother's Day. Perhaps I can coax my daughter:)

    Thanks Pam.

    No Daffodils here yet, T.W. but the Tulips are peeking through and the Violets are nodding. Daffodil Cake for Easter dinner sounds so festive. I do hope you will share.

    It seems Daffodil Cake was once a popular cookbook recipe, Javelin. Many cookbooks from the 30s and 40s include the recipe.

    I read Daffodil Cake is a favorite for Mother's Day too Lena. Although, I have not heard of the story behind it. Now if I could only convince one of my kids to bake me one!!!

    So glad you enjoyed your visit Quay Po.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the look of this daffodil cake! The soft yellow and white marbled together are fantastic. This would make a great birthday cake.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It sure would Lisa. You never did say when your B-day is:)

    ReplyDelete

Through this wide opened gate,
none came to early,
none returned to late.

Thanks for dropping in...Louise