-

Sunday, May 20, 2012

I'm back!


Hi everyone!!! Hope you enjoyed these past couple of weeks as much as I have!!! First, let me say, (it's not like I haven't said it a million times before:) how the heck do you do it! I mean really, my daughter's schedule is so busy she barely has time to put a healthy meal on the table no less cook it, photograph it and blog about it too!!!


I normally have a difficult time sleeping anywhere else but home. However, those kids and their schedules, plum wore me out!!! Between dance, tumbling, scouts, softball, baseball and of course school projects, whew! It's hard to fathom that at one time, I pretty much did the same thing plus worked two jobs!!! Did I mention shopping???

I had a wonderful time with the kids and good quality time with my daughter that's all that really matters after all:) I promised myself, and you too, that I wouldn't do too much gushing but I must tell you how proud I am of Tabitha for coming in first in her school's Spelling Bee! She was beaming like a peacock:) And Noah, I'm convinced he's a future Yankee pitcher. Oh, and he has Marine Biologist on his mind as well. I had the honor of being interviewed by Noah for his school project. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to stay long enough to see him in his school play. He landed the part as narrator!!! You see what I mean. Busy schedules cause grandma rambling:)


Proud Speller


Toothless Noah

For those of you wondering how those baby robins are doing, let me tell you, they seem to be doing just fine. Marion tells me they were born on Mother's Day. Just two days before I returned from Idaho. I don't know which delighted me more, the lushness of the garden (it seems it pretty much rained the entire time I was gone) OR the newly hatched baby Robins. I'll just show you the Robins for now, the garden needs a bit of tidying up:)


May 16th

May 17th


May 19th

Will It Hatch?

I realize I'm a bit late in telling you that today is Pick Strawberries Day. Sorry about that:) Can I make up for it with this Strawberry Rhubarb Fizz? Not to worry though. The whole Month of May is National Strawberry Month! In fact, May is also National Asparagus Month too!!! If you follow me on Pinterest, amongst my many boards, I have one for Strawberry Month and Asparagus Month too. Oh okay, I also have one for Barbecue Month and burger Month also celebrated in May!!!

Today, I would also like to share a recipe with you from one of my favorite cookbooks. Its title is Hot Shoppes Cookbook: Sixty Years of American Cookery. I've chosen today to celebrate this book and the Fresh Strawberry Pie recipe because, it was on this day, May 20th, in 1927, that a man by the name of J. Willard Marriott opened his first root beer stand which one day would evolve to become the Marriott International Hotel Chain. (My daughter and I and the kids of course stayed at the Marriott while in Salt Lake City. A girl can't leave Utah without shopping at Ikea after all:)

Here's an article I found online at the The Deseret News- June 14, 1988.


I suppose I'm drawn to cooking books that offer more than delicious recipes. The Hot Shoppes Cookbook is one of those books. I find it to be the kind of cookbook that brings me back to the days of soda fountains and innocence. That's just me:) The book also includes a special introduction by Alice Marriot, wife of J. Willard. She was instrumental in helping the mom and pop business grow into the worldwide corporation it is today. And to think it all started with a couple of root beer stands, frosty mugs of root beers in the summer and hot tamales in the cooler months! It sort of reminds me of a new business venture beginning on Long Island that I read at Culinary Types this morning. I suppose it still takes a dollar and a dream and plenty of hard work to actually live that dream!!!



You see how the picture looks like a vintage snapshot? The entire books is presented in much the same way.
From the introduction by Alice Sheets Marriott:

"...We're also hoping that our book will recreate the atmosphere of the Hot Shoppes and help you recall the meals you've enjoyed with us. And if you've never been to the Hot Shoppes, perhaps we can whet your appetite for these restaurants that have played a part in the lives of so many families.

That's why we've designed the Marriott Hot Shoppes Cookbook to resemble a family album. Our favorite slogan has always been "food for the whole family," and over the years we've delighted in sharing special occasions with the families of both employees and customers..."

I'm delighted to share this excerpt from the Marriott Company Heritage website. Although the file is in PDF format, it is quite fun to read and reminisce:)


I apologize for simply scanning the recipe but if I didn't, I may never get this post up in time. I do, however, want to share Mrs. Marriott's tips for a truly delicious Fresh Strawberry Pie.

The Fresh Strawberry Pie has been as popular as the Apple Pie down through the years. Our original recipe took almost two years to perfect, with a great many testings in the taste kitchen. The recipe we've included here captures the best of that process.

The most important element in getting it right has always been the strawberries; each must be fresh, so check the cap to see that it's green, and make certain that the skin is intact. If the leaves are browning and wilted, or if there's any evidence of mold or other damage to the skin, you should discard it. And after picking your strawberries, be certain to wash them before slicing off their caps. If you was them after slicing off the caps, you run the risk of rinsing sand or straw into their cores.


I hope you all enjoyed Strawberry Picking Day. I do apologize for the tardy post. Perhaps I can make it up to you by letting you know that tomorrow, May 21st, is Strawberries & Cream Day!!! I'll be back on Thursday the 24th just in time for National Asparagus Day and I promise I'll be bright and early. Do I have a treat to share!!!

One more picture of the baby Robins taken today. That's right, they are one week old today!


And of course, one more picture of the kids outside the Marriott on the last day of my visit:(


Resources
1. The Spirit To Serve: Marriott's Way
2. Marriott Company Heritage

37 comments:

  1. Im really happy you come back I missed you so much:( nice pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe gee, thanks Gloria. It's good to be back:)

      Delete
  2. It not just you, I love to go back to the days of soda fountains and innocence. I often our kids and grandchildren could live those days. Nothing bet spending time with our grandkids. Welcome back to our blogger world.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to be back Rita. I had a GREAT time with the kids but I miss them already!

      Delete
  3. Welcome back! I'm glad you had such a good time, but sorry you missed the play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Channon. Michele is going to video the play for me and I'm sure Noah will do his "acting" on face time:)

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful time you had with your family! I enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Nellie! Thanks for visiting. So glad you enjoyed this post. Pop by anytime!

      Delete
  5. Welcome back! Looks like you had a fabulous time - great photos!! I've been baking quite a bit with strawberries this month as the Jubilee celebrations are coming up so the country is in a frenzy of red, white and blue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to check out those strawberry recipes of yours, Ros. A girl can never have enough strawberries you know!

      Delete
  6. Welcome back Louise! I'm glad you had a great time! The robins are precious. And I'm thrilled it's strawberry month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Reeni! I had a feeling you would be ecstatic to celebrate Strawberry Month!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you had a wonderful visit. Your grandkids are darling! And thanks for catching us up on the baby robins as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have a wonderful visit, Inger. There are more baby robin pics to come. Just like the kids, they are growing fast:)

      Delete
  8. Welcome back, Louise! Glad to hear that you had a swell time visiting your daughter and grandkids. Both your grandkids are cute!
    The robins has hatched, how exciting! One more egg to go! They look very comfy in their nest!
    My 'belimbing' tree at my backyard has a new bird nest which I spotted two days ago, it is a little too high for me to take a peek! Saw the mother bird yesterday, I think it is a sparrow. Will try to take some pictures if I can!
    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that last egg is going to hatch, Joyce. As of yesterday, nothing yet. I'd love to see the pictures of your Sparrow's nest but be careful taking the pictures. The momma birds sure do get their feathers ruffled when I get to close to the nest, lol...

      Delete
  9. Welcome back my friend, glad to hear you had a wonderful time :D
    Gorgeous pics - your family is simply adorable!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you, Choc Chip Uru:) It's good to be back, sorta kinda:)

      Delete
  10. Dear Louise, I can hear the excitement and joy in your voice as I read this post. It is wonderful that you made good memories with your daughter and grandchildren. That is what life is all about.
    Amazing that it all started with a root beer stand.
    I love old cookbooks and old recipes. It seems to me, or perhaps it is my imagination, but they taste better.
    Thank you for stopping by and visiting. I still cling to not eating meat on Fridays too.
    Blessings dear friend. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful time, Catherine although a bit shorter than I would have liked. I think there should be a law that children not move 2K miles away but that's just me:)

      Old cookbooks and recipes are the inspiration for this blog. I really need to control myself when it comes to collecting more though. As a matter of fact, I too have that New McCall's cookbook that you shared the Banana Bread recipe from. I really should did it out!

      Marion and I really try to be dilligent about not eating meat on Friday. Sometimes we simply don't know what day of the week it is, lol...

      Thanks so much for visiting...

      Delete
  11. hi louise, welcome back! happy to hear that you had a wonderful time with your daughter and your grandchildren. tabitha..her name sounds so special. You have every reason to be proud of them! i think the baby robins will probably take 2 more weeks staying in the nest before taking off their first flight, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lena. I'm not sure those baby robins are going to last in the nest for two more weeks. They are getting so darn big so quickly it's simply amazing! We'll see:) I'll be posting a new picture of them in the morning...

      Delete
  12. Louise, first of all – WELCOME BACK! I love the photos of the grandkids and that toothless cub scout sure brings back memories. I have photos of my son Tristan looking the same way – big smile and no teeth, wearing his cub scout uniform. Mmmm…strawberry pie!! We used to get the most amazing strawberry pie at the Akron restaurant in Pennsylvania Dutch country when I was growing up. We would drive west about an hour and be thick into Amish countryside. I loved that. Your pie reminded me of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina! It's good to be back; sorta kinda:) It's so funny because when Michele and I saw this picture we both remembered the picture of my son, who is now almost 40, doing the exact same thing. Boys will be boys I suppose, toothless and all, lol...

      It sure seems like you need to visit PA, I "hear" a longing in your words. I'll be heading east to Longwood gardens some time this month. Is the Akron restaurant on my radar???

      Delete
  13. Welcome back, Louise! And I'm so glad you shared your sweet grandchildren with us AND a yummy strawberry pie recipe. It sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. The Strawberry Pie is on my someday list. Knowing me, I'll probably decide to make it in the dead of winter, lol...

      Delete
  14. Welcome back Louise!! What a wonderful, lovely visit you had with your daughter and grandkids!! I understand completely how you come home and wonder how you used to do it. I come back from Arizona & seeing the grandkids happy ... but exhausted! Gee, we can't keep up like we used to at 20 & 30?!?!?
    Great 'I'm Home' post! And thanks for the updated pictures of the baby Robin's. What a joy to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Trisha. I think one of the things that added to my exhaustion was the fact that my daughter has to drive so many miles to get to where the kids needs to be. She lives in rural Idaho so everything is very far away. Of course, the activity of the kids was never ending too!!!

      Delete
  15. So glad you're back and had such a good time. My, the children are growing... as are the birds. Wonderful! I remember Hot Shoppes... many memories there. And, I don't have that cookbook. Guess I'll need to scare up a copy for my collection.

    Love your pinnings, especially the roses. I must get on to Pinterest. I've said that before, but I will. I post a rose from my garden every day on my personal Facebook page. Today was Marilyn Monroe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet. I really wish you would get those roses on Pinterest, not only would I love them but there are tons of others who would too! June is National Rose Month!!! Let me know if you need any assistance. I'm learning ever so slowly...And, be SURE to let me know when you join. Do you want/need an invite? I'm sure you have plenty, lol...

      Delete
  16. What delightful grandbabies!

    I love this strawberry pie. It reminds me of my days in Knoxville. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maureen:) I love them dearly and miss them already! Knoxville, another favorite stop off for me in my youth:)

      Delete
  17. I haven't had as much time for reading blogs lately but am still glad to see you are back - I was particularly excited to see you pinterest board - love pinterest - still planning to have an account because it fascinates me - really wish I had a glorious long morning to browse it but I have a small girl playing with sticky tape and a hole punch - have already had to rescue one cookbook - but will be back to read more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's so funny, Johanna. I just left your place. What a stunning birthday cake!!! I totally understand you not being able to visit blogs often. Quite honestly, I don't know how others keep up with all this stuff! How is Sylvia? She must be quite the inquisitive one by now:) Keeping you busy I'm sure.

      Pinterest does have a way of eating up time. I'm not sure what it is about it that's so fascinating but it sure does manage to get a hold of you. You're right to try to avoid it for now.

      Thank you so much for dropping by. It's always so nice to hear from you:) Louise

      Delete
  18. Welcome back Louise & glad that you've a great time with your daughter & adorable grandchildren! Love all the pictures of your cute grandchildren too. Can't believe that those baby Robins had grown so fast in a few days time only! Simply amazing! And thanks again for pinning my cake on your pinterest. Have a a lovely day, Louise. :)

    ReplyDelete

Through this wide opened gate,
none came to early,
none returned to late.

Thanks for dropping in...Louise