-

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Look What I Found!

Friday was my birthday and while I was gallivanting around from yard sale to yard sale, Marion baked me a Birthday Cake!!!

Don't you just love when yard sales are on Fridays? And how terrific is it when that Friday also happens to be your birthday? Pretty cool huh? What's even more exciting, to me that is, is that in Pennsylvania, unlike Long Island, you can hit a whole town of yard sales all on the same day!!! Yep town-wide yard sales may just be the best!!! Besides the World's Longest Yard Sale, which I mentioned here. Now you know I'll be sharing these 2 for a dollar beauties!!!

Although I 'd love to share all the other "neat" stuff I bought while "yard-sailing," I'd much rather share a piece of cake with you and tell you about the very best ever present I bought for myself!!!

Can you see it?

May I present, drum roll..., My Fountain of Youth!

I know I should have waited until it was completed, but I just couldn't. Can you tell how excited I am? I have high hopes for this fountain just you wait and see!!! And you will see!!! And as much as I was thrilled to think of the possibilities of repurposing my Habitat for Humanity tub into a work of art, lol...

Now I can take my time and think it though thoroughly. Sounds a bit like something a procrastinator would say:)) The lady that I bought the fountain from "made me an offer I couldn't refuse:)" (It also helped that her very kind husband delivered it too:) We won't talk about how many "farmers" it took to get that baby on the back of my truck though. And how utterly difficult it was to set up. Or that it has to come down again to get fitted for its pump. Or that I will be mixing more cement to do a minor repair. You see that white bucket? That is going to be replaced somehow!!! And look how big my Pineapple has gotten!!!

Did you see the turtle by the fountain? Actually, how could you miss him. I just had to go to the nearest garden supply and buy the biggest turtle I could find. Although, I did hesitate when I first saw him thinking I could hold out until my next yard-sailing adventure. But hey, it's my Birthday, I'll splurge!

Speaking of reptiles, look what I found nesting in my garden work area. An an Amphibian!

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't frogs have tadpoles in...Water? A frog!!! I haven't had time to investigate yet but if she keeps hanging around, I will surely be googling.

Oh and before I forget, I've meaning to tell you. Although the mother Robin seemed to do a disappearing act with her "kiddies" unbeknownst to both Marion and I, she did return with at least one of her offspring. They now live happily in the pines by the garden.

And as for that yummy cake, it was delicious!!! Would you believe Marion apologized for using a mix? Oh that woman:) I should be so virile at the age of 92! Or is it 93 I keep forgetting, lol...As you may have guessed, I had an outstanding birthday, the cake was scrumptious and Marion, well Marion I thanked her profusely and then we ate our cake:)

Yes, I have big dreams for this everlasting fountain of youth however, although stunning, this isn't one of them!

Quick Picnic Game Update

Update June, 28, 2912
There are NO letters left to choose from for the Picnic Game. Isn't that just wonderful! Bring large blankets and even larger appetites. It's going to be Dee...Li...Cious!
Now don't worry, I'm not panicking but rather than wait until the last minute, I may as well mention it now. I know the letters that are left may seem recipe difficult, you might want try to think of them as a way to get creative.

For instance, last year when we were in dire need for a dish beginning with the letter X, Veronica came up with a rather inventive dish, Xerem.

Quite a few of you have said you will start delivering your dishes by Monday or Tuesday and that's just wonderful. The Picnic Basket is going to be brimming with so many tasty dishes. By the time you read this post, you should have received the "dishes" I've gotten so far. I won't be in contact with any of you today (Sunday) as I am off on a quick business trip to Scranton. I should be back late Sunday night or early Monday morning raring to fill our basket!

Thanks to everyone for joining in. If you know anyone who might want to join in on the festivities, be sure to let them know!!! Have a wonderful Sunday, Louise

61 comments:

  1. I love your fountain and your new collection for your garden. You have such a big and beautiful garden, Louise. If mine is half as big as yours, i'll be very busy entertaining family n frens to bbqs and outdoor party! Happy Birthday to you and your friend, Marion is such a sweet person to bake you a cake. I like her already by just listening to you..you two are such good friends! Have a blessed week, Louise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you What's Baking, I'm so glad you enjoyed a peek into the garden this year. Marion was very sweet to bake me a cake and I was very "sweet" too because I ate it all up!

      Delete
  2. Hi Louise, I have picked the letter 'D' for my picnic party and would like to find out if I can have the link to the letter 'A' to 'C' cause I'm posting mine on next week.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only do you have your letters by now, Kristy, those "Dunkin' Donuts" you're
      "bringing" to the picnic look scrumptious!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful birthday! I love your fountain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam. I luv my fountain too!!!

      Delete
  4. What a happy post! I miss having a fountain in the boys garden. Maybe I'll fix that today...

    I'm glad you had a very happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, Lousie, what a happy post! And Marion is FANTASTIC to bake you a cake, especially at her age (don't tell her that! haha!). So sweet of her!
    You got yourself an outstanding present! It is beautiful, can't wait to see when it is fully in motion! So happy to see the robins came back. Over at my side, there's a sad ending to the eggs, apparently the nest toppled to the side and the eggs dropped out, I've posted it in my garden blog. So sad for the mother bird.
    I'm posting for the picnic game after this. See you!
    Wish you a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, Joyce, I won't tell Marion. She wouldn't mind though she has a great sense of humor. Just this morning she was saying how the heat outside, it's going to be well up into the 90s, doesn't effect her because she's even older than the temperature, lol...

      Not only did the robin return, Joyce, Marion says he's BACK and building an entirely new nest for his misses and future offspring right in the same spot! I better keep the camera handy:)

      I do love the fountain and I can't wait to dig right in to making it oh so "purty."

      Delete
  6. Happy belated birthday dear Louise! Wow! What a great birthday ! Marion is such a sweet friend & baked you a decadent chocolate cake ! And OMG, that fountain of yours is my dream fountain! I've been wanting to get this fountain but it's way out of my budget! And you've made a great bargain too! The fountain & the turtle look great together & I'm pretty sure you'll see more of those frogs soon! Hahaha Have a lovely Sunday Louise! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kit. I had wonderful birthday. That cake Marion made is long gone now, we ate almost the entire cake!!! (Marion will say she didn't have THAT many pieces but she jests:)

      Under normal conditions, a fountain such as this would be way out of my budget too but, it was my birthday present to myself and this time, the price was right! Of course, I will probably go way off budget getting the fountain to look "just right" lol...

      Delete
  7. Happy, happy birthday Louise!! Marian sure does know how to make magic on special days...that cake looks delicious. I have to agree that Friday yard sales are the best. Okay, I am off to picnicville ... Again, happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, thank you. I hope you are feeling better. Marion doesn't get in the kitchen often but when she does, she sure bakes up some yummy cakes!

      Delete
  8. Happy birthday, Louise. We are both June babies :-)
    Love your new fountain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Louise!! I have a special birthday surprise for you on my blog :) http://themorethanoccasionalbaker.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/malted-chocolate-cake.html
    Thanks for sharing your cake with us. Marion is amazing!! I love your birthday presents especially the turtle!! Also I'd be happy to bring K if no one else has taken it - I've half prepared the M post but I can add in K and post it next Wed if its not too late?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Ros, how sweet of you to share that Malted Chocolate Cake for my birthday. I can only imagine how delicious it is. That turtle needs a name but I can't seem to think of an appropriate one. Any ideas??? "See" you at the picnic and that's for offering to take the letter K but we're covered. "See" you at the picnic and bring your appetite!

      Delete
  10. I think you should have some utensils in that basket!:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right, Nellie. U-for Utensils would have worked but I prefer the Udon Salad we are having instead. Drop by for a "taste."

      Delete
  11. Wow, looks like you had an amazing birthday! Best wishes for the year ahead. And I can't wait to see your treasure when it's finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, It was a birthday to remember for sure! I can't wait to see the treasure when it's finished either, lol...Thanks so much for dropping by. I do hope you will visit for the Picnic Game Round-Up on Sunday!

      Delete
  12. happy birthday to you, louise! what a darling marion is! really, i also hope i can be as energetic as marion when i get old to bake someone a cake! i think the frog could be anytime jummpinng into your ofuntain of youth! Nice to read that the mother robin has returned, she returned with her babies? btw, received your mail, thanks a lot! will be posting mine in the next couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just watching Marion tires me out Lena. Would you believe it is she who is yard sailing this hot Friday morning! That woman is amazing!!! Not only did the mother robin return for a visit, it seems Mr. Robin is fixing up the next for a new batch of eggs. Will keep you posted:)

      Delete
  13. Happy Belated Birthday! The fountain is gorgeous! How sweet of Marion to bake you a cake. I think I'm too late to get in on the picnic game this year. I have my posts for the week set and none of them fit those letters. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll miss you very much Reeni. I do hope you will pop in for the Round-Up there's plenty of room on my blanket for you to kick back and nibble!

      Delete
  14. Happy Birthday, Louise! What an excellent cake, and a grand fountain! It sounds like a terrific day (how can it fail when cake is involved?) and I wish you all the best for the year ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the birthday wishes, T.W. It was a great birthday and I must say, my grand daughter was indeed happy about the birthday cake too. She was quite worried that I wouldn't have one:) It's going to be a great year ahead if my bones hold out, lol...

      Delete
  15. My loads n loads of warm wishes to you on your birthday ! I guess it was the best bday with a beautiful cake and all that fun on yard sales. Eagerly look forward to all your posts. Cheers !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Sonia. That's so sweet of you:) It was such a wonderful day even if I didn't act my age:)

      Delete
  16. Happy belated birthday dear Louise hope you had a wonderful birthday!!
    Nice fountain LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope your birthday was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The 22nd was your birthday? Mine too! Happy belated birthday! Love the fountain! Really, really fun. In fact the entire post was exceptionally fun - thanks for writing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, Kitchen. I don't know anyone who has the same birthday as me. How cool is that??? Next year we will need to celebrate together!!!

      Delete
  19. Oh Louise I so love this post! The photos are great- The fountain is beautiful and I love love love the big turtle. I have a little turtle in my garden too but he never sits still. I tend to drag his around all over the place. ha ha ha~ Happy Birthday to you! I'm looking forward to seeing what's in the picnic basket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, I glad you enjoyed it. I too have started dragging that turtle all over the but he still keeps winding up right next to the fountain. I suppose I should keep him there, lol...

      Delete
  20. Happy Belated Birthday, Louise!! Love your gorgeous yard! Hope you enjoyed your lovely cake and a wonderful day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy, I did. I hope you are feeling better too:)

      Delete
  21. Happy Birthday dear Louise. I love these photos. It is always fun to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chaya, So glad you enjoyed your visit!

      Delete
  22. Louise, Happy Belated Birthday...the pictures are awesome...what a beautiful yard your have...I love your fountain...
    Hope you have a wonderful week ahead :) and I look forward to the picnic basket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, the yard needs tons of work Juliana but I appreciate your kind words. I'm hoping the fountain will give me the incentive to get my butt moving on all the other projects that need tending too, lol...

      Delete
  23. I hope you had a wonderful birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy belated birthday my friend, what a wonderful surprise :D
    Beautiful pictures too!
    And I apologise sincerely that I could not be part of the picnic event because of my exams, fingers creossed for next year!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed for next year, Uru. There's plenty to share this year so be sure and drop by for all the delicious goodies.

      Delete
  25. happy birthday - looks splendid! Cake and a fountain of youth sound like exactly what you need to make your feel young and happy - and an inquisitive tortoise just completes it - and happy picnicking - will enjoy seeing what yummy foods are in the spread

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yummy foods there will be Johanna. Don't forget to bring Sylvia. There are goodies for her too!!!

      Delete
  26. Happy Birthday! Fabulous yard and what a wonderful fountain - enjoy. g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi gMarie and welcome! Thank you for your kind words. There's still lots to do!

      I hope you'll be dropping back for the Picnic, there's more than enough for all!

      Delete
  27. Belated birthday wishes!!! You found some treasures...and it was the perfect day to treat yourself!! Can't wait to see the fountain in action :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treasures indeed, Lizzy now if I can refrain from botching them up I will be one happy birthday girl!

      Delete
  28. Happy Birthday! It sounds like you had a fantastic day. Your turtle and fountain will have a great home in your garden. Have fun getting the fountain ready!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Well, Happy Birthday! I hope your trip to Scranton was fun. And tell Marion I said that a good box cake mix is a wonderful thing. (I like to make yellow cakes with butter. It makes for an unbelievable flavor. Just replace the oil called for on the box with butter, and be prepared to swoon!)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hermoso pasel está de lujo...feliz cumpleaños bendiciones,abrazos hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy Birthday!!!

    Saw at Lena's blog about this picnic game. Is there any rules to join?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy Belated Birthday! Hope it was a good one. Meanwhile, start paging through that Picnic Cookbook and feature a recipe or two from that ASAP. That is totally my style these days.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Yummy cake! Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Happy belated Birthday to you!
    What a stunning & chocolate frosting over this stunning cake! :)
    I love your fountain & your lovely pictures too!

    ReplyDelete

Through this wide opened gate,
none came to early,
none returned to late.

Thanks for dropping in...Louise