-

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Mooving Right Along...June is Dairy Month!

Cows have an acute sense of smell. They can smell something up to 6 miles away!

Since I inadvertently missed National Cheese Day and National Frozen Yogurt Day yesterday, I figured it's high time I get my tale going for National Dairy Month, which has been gloriously celebrated in the month of June since 1937. Actually, in both 1937 and 1938 what we now call Dairy Month was referred to as National Milk Month. Why not sip on this Orange Cream Chiller while I fill you in on the history of Dairy Month compliments of the Midwest Dairy Association.

"June Dairy Month, an annual tradition developed to celebrate the dairy industry and its many contributions to our society, originated in 1937. During its first two years, 1937 and 1938, it was called National Milk Month and ran from June 10 to July 10. The 1937 event, sponsored by chain stores, was given the theme "Keep Youthful - Drink Milk." Originally supported by the National Dairy Council (NDC), June Dairy Month was established to help stabilize dairy demand during periods of peak production. To assist in that effort, NDC provided promotional materials to the 6,300 stores participating..."June Dairy Month" became the official title of the promotion in 1939 and focused on greater use of dairy products...In 1955 American Dairy Association (ADA) became the national leader for June Dairy Month campaigns..." (Midwest Dairy Association)

Truly a "city girl," living in the heart of Pennsylvania Dairy Land, I'm not real sure these two "gals" are dairy cows. However, I can tell you, I got "up close and personal" to get this picture!

Before modern milk delivery, when people traveled and wanted milk, they had to take their cows with them!
If people ate like cows, they would have to eat about 360 cheeseburgers and drink 400 to 800 glasses of water every day!
In 1856, Gail Borden invented the condensed milk process. This process removed some of the water from milk so it would take up less space.
What do you call the cow that produces the most milk?

The Dairy Queen!

That's one of those livestock laughs I found in my travels. In reality, The Pennsylvania Dairy Princesses are highly trained spokeswomen for the local dairy industry.

I just happen to have a copy of Royal Recipes "presented by the Pennsylvania County Dairy Princesses from 1987-1988." However, if you would prefer a few updated Royal Recipes, I suggest you visit the Princess' Royal Recipes from the 2011 -2012.

The following "winning" recipe from Royal Recipes for Oven Hot Cheese Sandwiches, is quite popular around here. I can honestly say I had never tried it before moving to Central Pennsylvania and now, if prepared the way my friend Katie makes it, it's one of my favorites. Katie uses freshly baked bread and a local cheese that she buys at the neighborhood Amish store. I've never made it myself but I can tell you, I've had it by Katie's...often:)

The switch is the tip of the cow's tail. It usually has a nice tuft of hair on it for chasing away flies and other pests!

Middle Atlantic Milk Marketing Association booklet (undated)

Enjoy Dairy Month everyone. I'll see you in a few days with that Picnic Game news I promised!

30 comments:

  1. Gotta love dairy...especially with chocolate. I'll have to do a special dairy post this month. Love your 'cow' humor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you sure are evoking memories from my childhood here, Louise! I had been meaning to stop by and say hello, especially when you put that doughnut post up. Yum!! I enjoyed the robin updates too. Maybe you will have another nest up and active next year.
    Take care, talk to you soon.
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo i love cheese! Happy Cheesy/Dairy Month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Louise, Wow...this post is wonderful supported with loads of beautiful pictures and information. I am so glad to know as well that today is bubble gum day. I can't wait to try some diary recipes on my island. Have a wonderful week ahead. I am so blessed to get beautiful remarks from a talented person like you. Thank you so much for stopping by and encouraging me with your words and making my day :)
    Thanks & Regards, Sonia !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mother's father's family has been in the dairy farming business for generations. I blame that on my GREAT love for all things dairy...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gandhi traveled with a goat because he basically lived on goat milk. But I guess Dairy Month is for cows only.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your post and the Oven Hot Cheese Sandwiches recipe. I'm actually going to make this right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow a 6 mile smell radius! now that is one powerful sniffer! thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to eat that many cheeseburgers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay!! I pretty much love all forms of dairy. I had no idea cows had such a nasal gift. I'm not sure I would enjoy that though! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. adorable post! I would like to invite you to my blog - Have just posted a Cherry pie :) Hope you will like -Following you dear :) Hope you will follow mine too :) cheers, Priya

    ReplyDelete
  12. my uncle has a dairy farm, and based on my experience, i don't think those two calves are dairy cows, but they sure are cute! milk definitely does do a body good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post is so cute with all the big and little cows! I am guessing that the recent tour I was invited on was timed for Diary month--which makes me an even bigger fan!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i'v ebeen having much dairy ever since i started baking..cheese especially..how i wish diary wont make me fat :) The oranhe chiller sounds something good to perk up my days!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Never knew cows could smell things 6 miles away! Such great info - thanks for taking the time to put all of this together. And the Oven Hot Cheese Sandwich is new to me! Kind of looks like stuffed French Toast sandwiches. Fun post - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved the photos! When I was a kid my Grandmother had a few dairy cows. I helped her milk a few times and I had to churn butter with the butter churn MANY times. Not much fun I have to say. LOL! But I lovedddddd loved loved the butter!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What nice dear Louise I love the pics, look so nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have fond memories of Elsie the Cow. Do you know I met her at the New York Worlds Fair? I was a child, of course, but even then, I was quite excited to meet an advertising icon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Who knew cows ate so much? That's pretty amazing. I'd love a hot cheese sandwich and a pie a la moo right about now! And did someone say picnic? You know how much I love that game!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't believe how much dairy I have in my fridge right now. Good thing we're celebrating it this month!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh is it right? June is a Dairy month... I thought June is Gemini and it's mine. haha.... Just kidding. Oh wow, the picnic game is coming soon. Looking forward to it. And this year I need to get my favourite alphabet early. Hope you're having a great day, Louise. enjoy!
    Blessings
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Louise,
    Thank goodness for Dairy! What would we do without dairy! Did not think much of it before, but now I realize, almost everyday our food in some ways of other is connected to dairy products!
    The Hot Oven Cheese Sandwich sounds interesting! And that photo of the two dairy gals is lovely! Great shot!
    Thank you for the interesting info. Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dairy products are wonderful. They always taste good and sit well in the tummy (and have been a godsend with my month-long ongoing root canal saga). My little guy went to an end-of-school party yesterday, and I sent him with a devil's food cake topped with a thick slathering of fresh whipped cream. The mom called to rave about that cake! Hooray for Dairy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Louise, This was so nice. I just love reading your posts. They are always a treat. I bet that oven hot sandwich is delicious! I think it would be a hit in my house. Blessings dear. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm not a light traveler, but I can't imagine bringing my cow with me for milk when I'm away from home! The orange cream chiller sounds delicious! Wish that were my breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Where would we be without dairy my friend - in an ice cream less, cereal lacking dystopian world no doubt :D
    I love your posts everytime!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love Dairy month as I bake with a lot of dairy products :) The oven hot cheese sandwich sounds delicious! Have a great weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  28. That orange cream chiller sounds amazing! I'm buying yogurt this weekend and giving it a try. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  29. MMMMM,...what lovely & appetizing recipes! So different too!
    It was a lovely read, my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete

Through this wide opened gate,
none came to early,
none returned to late.

Thanks for dropping in...Louise