-

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Picnic Game News and a Celebrity Recipe

Since the "theme" for this year's Picnic Game was somehow "staged" the other day, I thought it only fitting to include an actor's or in this case an actress's recipe for today's Picnic Game Update. Which would you like first? Nicole Kidman's Crispy Orecchiette With Broccoli, Pine Nuts and Garlic recipe or, A Picnic Game Picnic Letter Update??? Don't try to say either of those 3x:)

Let's go with the recipe first. Do you remember this book? I posted a few recipes from it and a few other "celebrity" cookbook recipes a while back as a Tribute to the Oscars.

When I noticed today's date, I realized it was Nicole Kidman's birthday, Ice Cream Soda Day, Plain Yogurt Day and also the day that Roy Allen opened his first Hamburger and Root Beer stand in 1919. That Root Beer stand would one day grow to be A&W®!!! Although I would love to celebrate all of those goodies, knowing me, any one of them would probably run a bit too long:) And since the Picnic Game is moving along rather quickly this year, a Picnic Game Update and a little bite are probably a better idea:)

So, here we have Nicole Kidman's recipe as found in Newman's Own Cookbook by Paul Newman and A. E. Hotchner ©1998 p.143.

Nicole Kidman's Crispy Orecchiette With Broccoli, Pine Nuts and Garlic
Ingredients:
1-1/2 boxes (16 ounces each) Orechiette (little ears:)
3/ cup vegetable oil
2 tbs. slivered garlic
5 cups small broccoli florets
1/3 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 tbs. balsamic vinegar
6 tbs. unsalted butter, cut into chunks and softened
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Directions:
1. In a stockpot, cook the Orechiette in plenty of salted boiling water until tender but firm. Drain, run under cold water, and drain again.
2. Have ready 2 medium sauté pans. Heat 1/4 cup oil in each until smoking. Ass the cooked orechiette carefully to the hot oil (really carefully:) dividing it equally. Spread the pasta out in even layers and cook for about 3 minutes, or until medium brown on the underside. Turn the pasta over and cook, without stirring, until browned on the other side. Transfer the pasta and oil to a large bowl and keep warm.
3. Heat the remaining 1/4 cup of oil in one pan until hot. Add the garlic and broccoli, and sauté, tossing, for 5 minutes. Add the wine, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Taste, adjust the seasoning if necessary, and cook for 3 minutes. Transfer to a large (13x9 inch) flameproof dish.
4. Add the browned orechiette, balsamic vinegar, butter, and pine nuts to the baking dish and toss over medium high heat until the butter is melted. Add 1/2 cup of the cheese and toss to combine.
5. Serve the pasta in 6 heated bowls or plates, with a generous grinding of fresh black pepper on top and the remaining cheese on the side. Serves 6

Nicole Kidman's Crispy Orecchiette With Broccoli, Pine Nuts and Garlic

Before we get to the update, I must mention, I happened upon the same recipe attributed to Nicole Kidman on this website. As I read it, I noticed there were a few changes. (which is the reason I included the scanned recipe also:) If it is to your liking, be my guest:)

Picnic Game News

Quick recap. Just in case you missed the International Picnic Day post where I announced the Picnic Game for this year, let me quickly explain what's up! We're going on a virtual online picnic where each "guest" brings a picnic or a potluck dish that begins with a letter of the alphabet. Then, as in the children's game some of us might remember from our youth, we prepare a post and recite, I'm going on a picnic and I'm bringing... If you go to Monday's post, there's a video where you can get a pretty good idea of how the game is played. Of course, you can visit last year's Round-Up to see all the glorious picnic goodies we enjoyed!!!

The Letters! What a smorgasbord of goodies we are going to have this year!!! The letter A is all set to go and I'll be sending it along tomorrow. No, no, no, I'm not telling what it is. I will tell you that the Picnic basket is filling up quickly with all kinds of tasty tidbits but, we still need a few more munchies to nibble on. As of this moment, here are the letters that are still available:

U, X,

Want to play the Picnic Game? Yes? Well then, trot on over to that Picnic Game link up there, read the "rules" and join us for our annual online Picnic Game!!! Boy oh boy, we all hope to "see" YOU there!!! Louise

Resources
1. Chronology of A & W Root Beer (USA)

43 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great recipe. Happy Birthday to Nicole. Quick question about the picnic game - can it be a an old recipe already published on my blog or does it have to be a new recipe? I won't have time to make anything new but I can republish something that fits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ros!
      In answer to your question, you can certainly republish an "old" recipe if you want to. Just because it's "old", doesn't mean it isn't great! Just brush it up a bit, grab a letter, let me know which letter you want and you're playing the Picnic Game! Just don't pick the letter R, it's taken but, as we speak, K, M, N, T, U, X, Y and Z are still available. You can always "jazz" up the title of your recipe name to make it fit the letter. (ie, Kick But Salsa!!!) Hope to "see" you there:)

      Delete
  2. OK I want thw letter R Louise please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and about 5 other people all asked for the letter R within minutes of each other. However, your request was the very first one so, the letter R is YOURS!!! "See" at the picnic Gloria. It's going to be a doozie!!!

      Delete
  3. Louise why the letters go so fast dear?? well tell me If I can have the letter R.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i hv not heard of orechiette, i would need to google and see what is that, thanks for sharing . oh, i just asked you abt the letter "r" in your previous post, i'll come back later for your reply, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lena,
      Oh me oh my what a silly I am. Coming from an Italian household, I just assumed everyone knew what Orechiette were. I took a quick jump over to Bon Appetit, and got there definition. Here goes.
      Literally "little ears" in Italian, orecchiette are small, domed pasta noodles, originally from the neighboring regions of Puglia and Basilicata in southern Italy. They have a slightly thinner center than edge, and a rough outer surface. Their domed shape and rugged texture help them to hold thicker, chunkier sauces.

      As for the letter, R Lena. As you may have read above, it is taken:) K, M, N, T, U, X, Y and Z are still available. As I suggested to Baking Addict, you can always "dress" up the title of the recipe with a tasty adjective. Something like Zesty Limoncello Granita I do hope you will try another letter:)

      Delete
  5. I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with for this year's picnic. I'm too busy to take part myself, but I'll be watching for next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Linda, we have a wonderful Picnic each year. Wait until you see the goodies that fill our basket! Don't worry though I'm sure there will be enough to whet your appetite for next year's Picnic Game:)

      Delete
  6. hi louise, thanks for your reply and also on the orecchiette. I'll take the letter "T" then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay then, Lena. T it is!!! "See" you there!!!

      Delete
  7. Hi Louise. No need for an "old" posts as I've got a maple syrup and pecan cupcakes in draft waiting to be posted so I'll have "M" please! So excited to join in the picnic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M it is Baking Addict, Ros. I'm so happy you will be joining us!!!

      Delete
  8. PS if M is taken, I'll have N as a second choice or K as a third choice. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M is yours Ros and in answer to your twitter question, the post can be anything you like. If you can tie it into the Picnic Game, that would be wonderful!!! Thanks again...

      Delete
  9. Louise, I've never heard of orecchiette either, but I see your reply to Lena. It sounds really delicious. I just read your post about Edna Lewis and left a comment there. What a great tribute to her and I have to check out the cookbook you mentioned, "In Pursuit of Flavor." Thanks so much fot telling me about it and your post also. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting the Edna Lewis post, Pam. It was enlightening to do:) Have a GREAT day and don't forget to drop by for the delicious Picnic Game Round-Up July 1st!

      Delete
  10. Wow that filled up quickly! I'm looking forward seeing the offerings for the picnic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure did, Channon. So much fun. I can't wait until the links start toting in:)

      Delete
  11. The Nicole's dish sounds great...simple and very flavorful...
    As for the picnic, the letters are just disappearing so fast...I look forward to "taste" the picnic basket :)
    Hope you are enjoying your week Louise :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You enjoy your week also, Juliana. "See" you for the "tasting:)"

      Delete
  12. Still laughing at the Teddy Bear Picnic music! An update on my "I"--I'll be bringing Iced Coffee--starting the research now! Guess I've been hot and thirsty lately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking I should change the music this year but it seems everyone has grown pretty find of it, Inger. Iced Coffee, oh yea, over 95 degrees today and climbing. Thanks for the update.

      Delete
  13. Love orecchiette! Such a yummy dish. That book looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alida! Thank you so much for visiting. I remember making Orecchiette with my grandmother when I was a young girl. I too love it!!!

      I do hope you will drop back for the Picnic Game Round-up! Of course, you are more than welcome to join in on the fun too:) I just went by your blog, and I must say, your Seafood Paella looks scrumptious!!!

      Delete
  14. Yum! Sound really delicious Orecchiette With Broccoli, Pine Nuts and Garlic! I'll definitely look out for those orecchiette at my favorite Italian grocer! I've finally found the recipe for the Picnic Game! I hope 'N' is still available! Please let me know if it's not! Will be baking it this weekend! Wish you a lovely day, Louise! HUGS :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure does sound yummy, Kit! I'm so glad you came up with some deliciousness for the Picnic Game! YOU are going to LOVE it!!! The letter N is all yours. Thank you so much for joining in on the fun. Louise

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. There's still time to join in on the fun, Duckie. The letters that are still left are:
      K, U, X, Y and Z
      I'm sure you can come up with some ZANY pie recipe to bring! Just in case though, be sure to stop by for the Round-Up. Bring Ben and the "kids."

      Delete
  16. Love, love, love Nicole Kidman so this recipe has to be great :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, C. J. If I try it first I'll report back to you and if you try it first, you let me know what you think!!!

      Delete
  17. I so wish I could join your game my friend, my studies are so annoying! I look forward though to checking out your fabulous picnic soon :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We understand, Uru. It's more important to do well on your exams. Don't worry though, we'll save you a doggie bag:)

      Delete
  18. Hi Louise, What a fun post!! First, I love that Kidman recipe...have been making something like it with penne for ages now, but will try this one as it includes the balsamic and the wine. Could I have the letter Z for the picnic?? Is there a specific time to write this post? One last item...A&W rootbeer...we have been going to Vermont for more than 30 years now, and when we first started going up there, there was an A&W, I think in Whitehall NY just as we crossed over...it was my welcome to Vermont and I never missed the opportunity for a rootbeer float and hotdog with saurkraut.
    ♥, Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, so glad you enjoyed this post. I too have made something similar in my days but like you the balsamic and wine ingredients do add a mysterious appeal:)

      You may absolutely have the letter Z I do believe this may be the first time that someone has actually requested the letter Z Usually I need to do a bit of coaxing:)

      I seem to remember an inviting A & W on the border of New York but then I may be thinking of the one in Rhinebeck. Excuse me but it was a very long time ago:)

      Can' wait to see what you tote with the letter Z.

      Delete
  19. I liked Nicole Kidman in "Bewitched!" I never thought about crisping pasta, but it sounds pretty tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just couldn't bring myself to see the "modern" version of Bewitched, T.W. However, the "modern" version of this dish sure sounds "tasty."

      Delete
  20. Dear Louise, this sounds very good. Look what Tom is missing out on!! LOL! Blessings to you, your friend, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. That recipe so greatT I am cutting and pasteing.
    I guess I missed the picnic game. I never hear of the children's game, don't know how cause I raised three children and had five grands. It is interesting. I bet you had fun.
    Have a great weekend, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's funny, Ginger. I can't believe you don't know the game. Perhaps it goes by another name. As a matter of fact I do believe it does. BTW, you haven't missed the Picnic Game. It's in progress and you are more than welcome to join. We still have the letters, K, U, X, and Y left. Come join us!!!

      Delete
  22. I'm looking forward to seeing what others come up with for the Picnic Game! I just wish I felt like cooking.

    Hope you're having a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure are going to miss you for the Picnic Game Marjie. Tell Kevin he better get you all fixed up in time for the Round-Up!

      Delete

Through this wide opened gate,
none came to early,
none returned to late.

Thanks for dropping in...Louise