-

Sunday, July 22, 2012

National Ice Cream Month; American Style

Since I inadvertently missed National Ice Cream Day last Sunday, I thought it best to at least celebrate National ice Cream Month before it too slips away. Funny thing about National Ice Cream Month, it's always in July. However, National Ice Cream Day has a way of shaking things up a bit because it is celebrated, for no apparent reason except a proclamation, on the third Sunday in July. Yep, I missed it while I was wandering through that garden post last week:)

Ice Cream in America

"The first appearance of ice cream in America is not known, but the first record of any sort indicating its presence in the colonies is a letter, written in 1700 by a guest of Governor William Bladen of Maryland, which states, "...we had dessert no less Curious; among the Rarities of which it was Compos'd was some fine Ice Cream which, with the Strawberries and Milk eat most deliciously."The Great American Ice Cream Book by Paul Dickson ©1973

Who doesn't like ice cream? For many of our immigrant ancestors, ice cream was the first taste experience they had on arriving to America. It seems, the commissioner of Ellis Island at the time insisted that ice cream be part of every immigrant's first meal. In fact, back in 2011, the folks at Turkey Hill (one of this gal's favorite ice cream makers) created an ice cream flavor in honor of Lady Liberty. Lady Liberty Mint (Mint ice cream with chocolate cake crunchies and crunchy chocolate cookie swirl) was created in honor of the Statue of Liberty’s 125th birthday.


New York Times, April 13, 1902

Ice cream was a personal favorite of both President George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, who first tasted ice cream in Paris. I'm guessing when he came home from Paris with a French version of a hand churned ice cream Mrs. Jefferson came up with this recipe for her Vanilla Ice Cream. And, can you believe it has been 200 years since Dolly Madison served ice cream at the White House? Here's the scoop, it was in 1812 and the flavor was Strawberry!!!

"While ice cream had graced the tables of president's before, it was Dolly Madison who glamorizing it my first serving it at the White House at state dinners. An impressionable guest describes it with convincing effect; "Last night I was bid by our President to the White House, and it was a most unusual affair. Mrs. Madison always entertains with Grace and Charm; but last night there was a sparkle in her eye that set astir an Air of Expectancy among her Guests. When finally the brilliant Assemblage-America's best-entered the dining room, they beheld a Table set with French china and English silver, laden with good things to eat, and in the Centre high on a silver platter, a large shining dome of pink Ice Cream." The Great American Ice Cream Book p.25

Prior to 1843, ice cream making was a long and cumbersome process. In 1843, a woman by the name of Nancy Johnson invented the basic hand-churn machine that is sometimes still used today. The hand-cranked churn, which used ice and salt for cooling, replaced the pot-freezer method. She was issued patent #3254 on September 9, 1843 for an Artificial Freezer. A similar device was patented in 1848 by a Mr William Young, who called his invention the "Johnson Patent Ice Cream Freezer." It seems, she sold her rights to William Young for just $200.

To all whom it may concern:
Be: it known that I, NANCY M. JOHNSON, of the city of Philadelphia; and State of Pennsylvania have invented a new and useful Improvement in the Art: of Producing Artificial Ices, and that the following is a full and exact description of the machinery for carrying into effect the said improvement.

Mr. Dickson also notes that an African American by the name of Augustus Jackson, who learned to make ice cream while at the White House, later became one of the ice cream pioneers of Philadelphia when in 1832, he started one of the first retail ice cream shops in the city.

Fresh Peach Custard Ice Cream
Step 1 Place 3 cups freshly sliced peaches in a bowl (non metallic) and gently toss with 3/4 cup of sugar and 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice. Set aside.
Step 2 Scald 2 cups of milk in the top of a double boiler. (Be careful not to boil milk) In a medium bowl beat 3 egg yolks with 1 cup sugar and 1/4 tsp salt. Let scalded milk cool a few minutes, then pour it into the egg mixture and stir. Pour this combined mixture back into the double boiler and cook over medium heat until mixture will coat a spoon. Let mixture cool. Stir in 2 cups light cream and 4 teaspoons vanilla extract. Pour mixture into freezing can of your ice cream freezer and follow manufacturer's directions.
Step 3 Churn mixture until approximately half frozen, Then stir peaches into ice cream mixture. Continue with churning (freezing). Old Fashioned Ice Cream Recipes Bear Wallow Books ©1989

In 1888 Frozen Dainties was published by the makers of the White Mountain Freezer Company.

Endorsed by Mary Johnson Bailey (Mrs. D. A.) Lincoln; Mrs. Lincoln of Boston Cooking School fame, Frozen Dainties offered readers "Fifty Choice Receipts for Ice Creams, Frozen Puddings, Frozen Fruit, Frozen Beverages, Sherbets and Water Ices.

"...There are many ways of making the foundation for ice cream, and while I admit that the best "frozen dainties" need the addition of pure cream, I am not a believer in the doctrine advocated by many thast no good ice cream can be made without cream. The following recipes include all the best known and approved methods and from these one may select according to taste or means. Then, by varying the flavoring, ot the manner of serving, and with the help of a good ice cream freezer, a great variety of wholesome and attractive dishes may be made with very little expenditure of time and strength..."

1902 edition

The White Mountain Freezer looked like a bucket with handle and gears on top. The tub was made from Northern Pine which was treated to make it water proof. It was banded with galvanized iron hoops and the cans were made from a a heavy grade of charcoal tin plate while the outside was galvanized to prevent rust. Although there isn't a picture of the White Mountain Freezer in her first publication of the book, there is a rather detailed picture in the 1902 edition. Both these editions are from my personal collection. (click to enlarge)

As fascinating as this all is, and yes, I do find it all incredibly interesting, the most astonishing tidbit in this booklet comes from Mrs. Lincoln's recipe for "seedless" Strawberry Ice Cream. (although she simply calls it Strawberry ice Cream) Read through this recipe, I think you too will be impressed. Have you seen any seedless strawberry ice cream recipes lately?

Before we get to the "finale", I'd like to share a few other ice cream related items I have hanging around the house.

This Kopper Kettle, Sealtest Menu is undated but from the looks of the prices, I'm going to safely say it's vintage:)


This is an undated die-cut recipe book published by Hendler's Ice Cream Company founded by L. Manuel Hendler in 1905. That link will take you an article about Mr. Hendler and Kosher Ice Cream by Lisa Kelvin Tuttle. The Hendler Creamery in Baltimore Maryland was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2007.
Don't you just love these Ice Cream Cone Salt & Pepper Shakers circa 1973

And the Grand Finale Ice Cream Watermelon Bombe!

Thanks everyone for visiting! I would like to take a moment to wish Mae, the hostess of Mae's Food Blog and "toter" of the Artichokes Steamed and Dressed with Mayonnaise to the annual Picnic Game, a very Happy Birthday!!! Thanks Mae for being such a devoted follower and "friend." May you have many, many more!!! Louise:)

49 comments:

  1. Dear Louise I love this post (of course) You know I love Ice creams (I have a label only to Ice cream LOL
    But July is funny because here is winter but I think is perfect for you because there is summer and is a hot summer, anyway I love Ice creams in any time, really, only sometimes I forget to make in this time anyway tomorrow I will post a recipe from SRC that called " Better than strawberry Ice cream" but really is like an Ice cream, see tomorrow:) huggs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure do know how much you love ice cream Gloria! I also know you've made some delicious looking ice cream creations on your blog. I only wish I could prepare them all as well as you do!!! I'm off to check out your latest!!!

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday to Mae! We love ice cream, frozen yogurt and gelatto...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great history of ice cream! Now I need to go out and get a scoop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of the celebratory food days, weeks, months. I think my favorite (because it's so weird) is December 30 - National Bicarbonate of Soda Day. When I grow up I want the job of thinking up all of these special days! Fun post. Now I'm going out to get some ice cream. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you so much for the birthday greetings! I have had agreat day including vanilla AND coffee ice cream, as well as strawberry cake and other treats, and fun with my grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is NEVER too late to serve/talk about/celebrate icecream. I didn't know much about it, but wouldn't it be Dolly Madison who would've served it. I'm not sure about that icecream bomb, though. I'm tempted to make it, but change the flavors so it looks like a watermelon. Thanks for sharing so much creamy goodness. I think it went right to my hips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for visiting! I'm so glad you enjoyed this post. Ice Cream seems to have many days devoted to it so I'm sure we will be celebrating it again:)

      Delete
  7. Hi Louise, thanks for the informative post. Since its National Ice Cream month, this is really the perfect month for me to indulge in more without feeling bad :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm not sure if anyone out there who doesnt love ice cream but i do! reeading the italian immigrants wanted the ice cream to be warmed up..funny..we have a type of ice cream here in our country called fried ice cream..it's a deep fried ice cream! i hv not tried that though :) the salt and pepper shake is so cute and the watermelon bombe looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those birdie babies are so adorable, Louise! Love that photo.
    Well now, ice cream month? I would guess it was invented just for me. :) There's nothing I love better and this was such a fun post to read about my favorite dessert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ice Cream is one of my favorite desserts too Barbara. I wouldn't mind a nibble of that Little Havana Coconut Ice Cream of yours right now!!!

      P.S. The birdies have flown the nest. Marion and I will both miss them:)

      Delete
  10. I like that pistachio....yum. Just the ticket for this awful summer heat. We had ice cream at a family gathering over the weekend so, I participated with you there :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it would have been much more fun if I were actually there, Tina. But, I'm delighted to know I was in spirit!!! How much ice cream did I eat anyway???

      Delete
  11. Oh I love stories about the history of Ice cream - really wonderful post and nice little books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Petra:) I totally enjoyed your post about the history of Fish & Chips too. I had a problem linking to the English version other wise I would have included it here!!!

      Delete
  12. I never realised the immense history of ice cream in the US - thanks for sharing :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  13. Who doesn't like ice cream? I'm not sure that's a valid question! I've certainly not come across anyone even those who are lactose intolerant or have allergies! Strawberry ice cream is one of my favs. The melon bombe looks good too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really would like to try to make that Melon Bombe one day. It's pretty unique I think, lol...

      Delete
  14. I haven't had ice cream in so long...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe or not, duckie, I stayed away from ice cream for a long time before getting "hooked" again. No one ever talks about the "bad" stuff about ice cream. Not even me!!!

      Delete
  15. Absolutely adore this post. So many retro ads! Happy Ice Cream Month

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet. I'm digging out some oldies!!!

      Delete
  16. Who doesn't love ice cream? And July and August both seem like the perfect time to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now if I could only find a healthy version that tastes as good!!!

      Delete
  17. Wow I just did an ice cream post (made mint choc chip)! Didn't realize how timely I was! Ice cream month sounds better than ice cream day to me anyway (esp with a summer this hot)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it looked delicious, Inger. I do believe I pinned it!!!

      Delete
  18. Louise, Love this post!! I especially loved the piece from Ellis Island! So very interesting. Guess I better post some ice cream…I’d hate to miss out on National Ice Cream month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ice Cream Month may have come and gone, Kathy but I'm sure you could come up with some deliciousness for Peach Month and Goat Cheese Month OR Both!!!

      Delete
  19. Such a nice post Louise...we all love ice cream especially during Summer...I love the picture of the old White Mountain Freezer :)
    Again, thank you for such an informative post and hope you are having a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for stopping by my blog Louise! You gave me the chance to visit your space too. You made a very complete presentation of ice cream and I enjoyed very much reading about its history in the States. I love ice cream, who doesn't? I can eat kilos of it especially during summer!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this post & I don't think I've known anyone that doesn't like ice-cream! I for one can eat tons of it! LOL The baby Robins are so cute! And Oh my! That watermelon bomb was AWESOME! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Learning about the history of ice cream in the US was a lot of fun, especially since that's about all I want to eat in this heat! And, now I want to make an ice cream bombe.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Louise,
    Well, I for have not met anyone who does not like ice cream! And I make them at least twice a month in my house!
    The little birdies looks so cozy snuggling in their little nest!
    Thanks for the interesting info on ice cream! Hope you have a great weekend ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for a very interesting and informative post Louise
    There was a little place here that made icecream the old fashioned way and you are right..it was amazing! the taste, creaminess and consistency is something I still remember
    Sadly they have gone out of buisness years ago

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have ice cream dessert bowls I love!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love it that a woman invented the ice cream churn! I might not live long but I'm pretty sure I could live on ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What an interesting post! Thanks. I remember a delicious cherry-pie ice-cream from my childhood. I've never tasted anything like it since.....

    ReplyDelete
  28. Waw! This was such an inspiring & lovely read aka post!

    I leanred a lot! Great & tasty recipes too, Louise! :) So beautiful to look at too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Remember when bombes were all the rage? I think this came about after the movie, "Someone is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe" with Jacqueline Bisset and George Seagal. I know that's when I first made one, using the recipe from the film that was published in the St Louis Post-Dispatch. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  30. i love those old-fashioned crank ice cream makers--my grandpa and all his grandkids used to use one just like that every summer when i was growing up. the kids did all the cranking, of course, and grandpa ate our ice cream. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey there Louise. A 'cool' post on ice cream and you even got that vintage menu. How cool can that be. If only the price remains the same but of course, it has expanded as well as the variety of icecreams. lol. no matter what age, we are all transferred back to being a kid at the first lick. I love double choc ice cream, and the minty ones too, and rum & raisin, and cookies & cream..and the list goes on..hahhaaa.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great post Louise. LOVE the watermelon ice cream idea!!
    I was wondering about your Robins, glad they started another family.
    What happened to the third? Did all three eggs hatch, or is one hidden in this pic?
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am always inspired, when I visit here, Louise and this time, it is ice cream, I want to make. I 'll send you some on the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you everyone for all your kind comments. I'm so sorry I didn't get a chance to thank you sooner:) Louise

    ReplyDelete

Through this wide opened gate,
none came to early,
none returned to late.

Thanks for dropping in...Louise