-

Friday, September 21, 2012

Cookies, Cones and a Birthday!

Surprised to see me so soon??? Me too!!! I hadn't planned on posting today but when I realized that it was September 21st, things changed. You see, not only is today National Pecan Cookie Day, it also happens to be a very special "gal's" birthday. Oh no sillies, not my birthday. Heavens, aren't these years adding up quick enough:) It's Miranda's Birthday!!! You may know her as The Blond Duck, hostess of A Duck in her Pond.

One day last year while I was doing my usual blog visiting, I happened upon a rather unusual post by Madame Bitty at Miranda's blog.

I suppose you should call her Queen Bitty, we wouldn't want to upset her you know:)

Anyway, on that Autumn Day, Madame Bitty was aligning the stars with the Pond family's horoscopes. It was a rather amusing post especially since Queen Bitty has such a way with "words." :) In my follow up comment, I left a note to Miranda telling her I would try to do a horoscope post on her birthday this year. Well, that changed too. After I piled the few astrology cookbooks that I have on the table, I didn't feel all that inspired. What kind of birthday tribute would it be if it didn't have that personal touch? I thought to myself. Miranda is such a free spirit, I'm sure she would understand.

Just in case you've never "met" the birthday girl, here is how she describes herself:

Giddily married to her best friend. Texas native. Novelist and writer. Working hard to get my children's books published. I'm delightfully whimsical, artsy and creative.  And goofy.  Really goofy. I take frequent dance breaks wherever I am, whenever I can. My days are spent chasing my two Chihuahua puppies, Bitty and Bear. My motto: Be a happy duckie! My goal: to bring joy and whimsy to the world through my stories.

Personally, I think she's just Duckie; dancing around the internet bringing joy to whomever she "meets." So, despite my lack of baking skills, and photography finesse, and the fact that I didn't have one pecan in the pantry, I managed to rustle up some cookies to celebrate Duckie's birthday.

That's right "kiddies" I baked cookies! Seriously, when is the last time you heard me "say" those words? I think the last time I baked cookies to share with you was back in 2011. Pinwheels I believe:) or was it those delicious Forget the Cake Crumb Cake Cookies I found over at Olla Podrida? (you see what happens after you have so many birthdays:) Which ever, I think we can agree, it's been a while:)

The baking of the cookies was pretty uneventful considering I have a way of botching these kinds of things up every now and again. I did run into a few rather important snags though. The most important being, no pecans! High, low, cabinet, fridge, freezer, not a pecan to be found. What's a girl to do? Improvise! I was pretty sure Miranda wouldn't mind if I used almonds instead of pecans. Actually, I used mixed nuts but let's keep that hush, hush:) Yes, I toasted them too. I even dragged out the food processor John and Kyla gave me for my birthday to crush them all up. I remembered that once Miranda had baked her mom a Hummingbird Cake for her birthday and she used almonds instead of pecans. Then there was that time she was in a pinch for a dessert for her husband Ben and she quickly whipped up Magic Sugar Bars once again substituting almonds for pecans. I think I'm safe, I hope:)

Without further ado, I present Butter Pecan Cookies! (minus the pecans:)

I think the most difficult part about making these cookies was choosing them. I had forgotten how many different recipes one can encounter while in search of the "perfect" Pecan Cookie. I was quite tempted to "chocolatize" them when I found this recipe for Chocolate Drizzled Butter Pecan Cookies over at Anna's Cookie Madness. However, when I took a quick trip over to Rosa's Yummy Yums and saw her gorgeous looking Pecan Sandies, I just knew I had to go with a more traditional approach. So, I chose a recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookies and Candies cookbook published long before Miranda was even born. 1966 to be exact:)

Butter Pecan Cookies
1 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar (I used vanilla sugar & omitted the vanilla)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2-1/4 cups sifted all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt (I omitted the salt because I didn't have unsalted butter)
1 cup chopped pecans (mixed nuts here:)

Cream butter and sugars until light. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Sift together dry ingredients; blend into creamed mixture. Stir in nuts. Drop from teaspoon on un-greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375° about 10 minutes. Makes 4 dozen cookies.

Happy Birthday Miranda! I hope you like them!!!


Tomorrow is Ice Cream Cone Day. You might be surprised to learn, unlike some of these obscure "food" days we celebrate, Ice Cream Cone Day actually has a tasty reason to be celebrated. You see, on September 22, 1903, Italo Marchiony applied for a patent for the very first Ice Cream Cone "molding apparatus." He was granted the patent on December 15th that same year.

This is the perfect time to share these cute little ice cream bowls I picked up at a garage sale yesterday. I don't normally go to yard sales on Thursdays but when I saw the entire lawn covered in all kinds of interesting things, I just had to stop. Aren't they cute, and just 50 cents for all four of them! I was going to mail them to Tabi and Noah in Idaho but I think I'll save them for when they come and visit next summer:)

I also picked up this Betty Crocker cookbook at the yard sale for a mere 25 cents. Yes a quarter!!!

I breezed through it in search of a Pecan Cookie recipe but immediately stopped when I spied this!

After a quick search, I actually found the recipe for the Scarecrow Cake in the book at the Betty Crocker website. The secret to the Scarecrow's moppy hair is...Waffle bowls!!! Perfect for the first day of Fall don't you think?

28 comments:

  1. Cookies are perfectly done, Louise. Your fren, Miranda is lucky to hv you..happy birthday Miranda. Have a great day to you too, Louise, you are a dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who can resist a freshly baked Butter Pecan (without the pecans) Cookie? Save me two! And - happy birthday to the "Birthday Queen!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I love those ice cream shaped cups and spoons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely tribute to our friend Duckie! I do just adore Miranda; she's one of those people I'd love to see arriving on my doorstep for a visit! And your cookies look wonderful. I'll have to be sure to tell my boys that there's someone else out there who bakes cookies as infrequently as I do! Happy Friday, Louise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great cookies minus the pecans and thanks for the kind comment

    ReplyDelete
  6. A QUARTER?! What a steal! I love that not only are y'all friends--you can celebrate with animals AND yummies! =D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my Louise, those Pecan cookies are calling to me! I wish I was your neighbor, or if you could send me some via the screen! And I adore those ice cream bowls... they are so special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had that cookbook ever since I was in the ninth grade (back when my girlfriends and I would collect things for our "Hope Chests" - remember those?), but I have never made these cookies. My husband is wild about Butter Pecan anything, and I used to love those Pecan Cookies from Archway, but can't seem to find them anymore, so guess what I'm baking this week? Thanks,Louise!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are the sweetest to tribute this to your friend :D
    These cookies look so incredibly soft and tasty!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  10. Butter Pecan cookies sound so wonderful…and they look absolutely delicious!! Happy birthday to your friend…a lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually have a good pound or more of pecans in my freezer! I was going to make spiced nuts with them but maybe I'll divert a few to this. ;-) Really entertaining post - I always learn so much when I'm here! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday, Miranda!! I missed it... :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. These cookies look great ... BTW, Happy National white Chocolate Day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great birthday treat for Miranda! I completely failed to bake pecan cookies on Friday. Next year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aren't you a sweet friend! These cookies look perfect for Miranda's birthday or any special occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just LOVE the Scarecrow Cake. That is just too good to be true!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Miranda is so lucky to have a wonderful friend like you! Those butter pecan cookies are truly calling me from the screen! LOL & I LOVE the scarecrow cake that I 'm thinking of making it when my sister is coming to visit us in 2 weeks! Bet the kiddos will love it & me too! hehehehhehe

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like your cookies, and the old cookbooks sometimes are the best. I'm afraid to make them, though, because I know I would eat them all and my poor hips would loudly complain, lol. Thanks for visiting my site, hope you come back.

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi louise, i'm guessing that you really have a huge collection of those very old cookbooks!yeah, it has been a while since i last saw you baking somethingbut i hv to tell you these pecan..or rather almond cookies are looking great! wished you could share some with me! LOL! oh, marion is the lucky one and the ice cream cones bowl and spoon are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think so I had come across Mirandas blog some months back. Happy birthday to the birthday girl. =)

    Louise thats so sweet of you of baking these wonderful looking cookies for the occasion.By they way they look exceptional yummy.

    The scarecrow cake is an exceptional creative cute idea.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Louise, What a beautiful post. Cookies are always a wonderful treat. Happy Birthday to Miranda. Blessings my dear, your friend, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. I adore the Blonde Duck! What a sweet gesture this is Louise! Pecan Sandies used to be my favorites when I was a kid. Those ice cream bowls are ADORABLE! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Butter Pecan Cookies sound tasty! Might have to add them to my Christmas cookie list. Is it too early to start thinking about that?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Louise I love Miranda she is adorable:))
    Love this post.
    I made coolies too ha!!
    huggss

    ReplyDelete
  25. Aren't you nice! I think I grew up with that BHG cookbook--will have to check if Mom left that with me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I was thinking a lot regarding this topic, so thanks for bringing it up here. You certainly have a good writing style i like, so will be subscribing to your blog.
    religious food
    spiritual food

    ReplyDelete
  27. Valuable information ..I am delighted to read this article..thank you for giving us this useful information. Great walk-through. I value this post.

    ReplyDelete

Through this wide opened gate,
none came to early,
none returned to late.

Thanks for dropping in...Louise