-

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Spin The Bottle For Foods That Fit Your Moods

Whence last we met, we were extolling the virtues of "Cooking Like A Man and Saucing Like A Woman" or something to that affect. Well, today, I thought might be just the right day to play a game called Spin the Bottle. Virtually of course, but in no way like the Picnic Game:)

For those of you who may not be familiar with the teenage kissing game called Spin the Bottle, let me explain. The easiest way is this: a bunch of people, usually acquaintances, sit in a circle and place a bottle in the center of the circle. One brave person starts it off by spinning the bottle round and round where it stops no one knows. Wherever it finally does stop, the spinner, that would be the person who started it off, kisses the person that the bottle has stopped in front of. If the person who spun the bottle and the person that the bottle is pointing to happen to be of the same gender, they hug:) The kissee, that would be the person who was just kissed, becomes the new spinner and so it goes... As I said, simple form but you get the gist of it.

Our virtual spin the bottle party game will be using a ketchup bottle. Yes, that's right folks, a bottle of Ketchup quite similar to the die-cut Heinz Ketchup recipe booklet you see at the top of this post. The "formula" will be reaped from this colorful Heinz Ketchup booklet you see below titled, Spin The Bottle For Foods That Fit Your Moods Hence, the title of this post:)

As you might of guessed, this booklet was published by the folks at Heinz in 1970. Pop Art and Disco Fever at its finest:)

So, are you ready to do some cooking with Ketchup? Good because you are in for some emotional surprises for sure!!! First up, we spin the bottle and...Let's Get Stewed with some Frankfurter Stew!

No sense in getting "stewed" without some more company. I'm in a Lets-Have-Friends-Over-Mood. I'm spinning the bottle and serving this Devilish Dip!

Before we continue, I thought you might find this explanation as to how H. J. Heinz came up with the slogan "57 Varieties." It's scanned from the December 7, 1927 online issue of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

See red yet? I surely do. That's why I'm in a Seeing-Red Mood and serving up Pot Roast Au Gras. Don't forget the Red Eye!

I wonder what would happen if while spinning the bottle, it landed it the middle of two; persons or dishes that is. Let's try it! Spin, spin, spin and I land at...Turned-On-To-Cook-Mood AND, I'll-Fix-The-Family's-Favorite-Mood. You know what that means don't you? We'll be serving up Ham Loaf with Apricot Tomato Sauce, Ketchup Meat Loaf and Love Apple Pie for dessert.

Now that ketchup bottle is really getting empty, I think It's-The-Kids-Turn-In-The-Kitchen Mood I'm seeking. Like the booklet says, "Kids and Ketchup belong together! My grandson, Noah would agree. That child puts ketchup on EVERYTHING, including Corn-on-the-Cob!

FYI:Early on in Heinz ketchup history, it was advertised as a "Blessed relief for Mother and the other women in the household!", a slogan which alluded to the lengthy and onerous process required to produce tomato ketchup in the home."

Another famous Heinz slogan from the past (1967) was "Beanz Meanz Heinz", which makes me think it's time to aim for the Tired-Of-Meat-And-Potatoes Mood.

As you might have guessed, we're all growing a bit weary of ketchup and spinning the bottle. I think it's high time we say To-Heck-With-The-Diet-Mood

...and we bake up a Sunshine Chiffon Cake, minus the ketchup. Don't you? Marjie, hostess of the Modern Day Ozzie and Harriet blog, has just what the doctor ordered! Thanks Marjie!

I hope you enjoyed your visit. Thanks for playing Spin the Bottle For Foods with me. While we're "speaking" of games, I'd like to ask everyone's opinion about the Picnic Game this year. Should we or shouldn't we? I've had quite a few inquiries about it not only recently but pretty much the entire time I was on hiatus from blogging. I understand if many of you have made other blogging plans for Picnic Day and Picnic Month, but if you think we can get enough letters together, then I'm game! How 'bout YOU???

Resources
1. 70s Theme Party: Retro Food Recipes (from Betty Crocker, of course:)

32 comments:

  1. huhu Louise, how have you been? So glad you are back to your posting here at months of edible celebrations! =)

    I ll spin the bottle and hope I would get the Frankfurt dumplings soup (so my kind of food). hm maybe I should make this tonight, it has been a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so surprised you would choose the Frankfurter Dumplings, Helene! Good choice though. Go ahead, Spin that Bottle!!!

      Delete
  2. love the spin the bottle game - I love tomato sauce (which was what I grew up calling ketchup when not using slang term "dead horse") on occasion but not on everything - unfortunately I am outnumbered on this in my family - it really does smell horrible sometimes - so maybe I will make them that chiffon cake and see just how much they love tomato sauce - I suspect I will be having the last laugh :-)

    As for the picnic game - I think I might be able to play along - though am a bit slower visiting blogs this year so I would need plenty of notice and some luck that I see the right post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny would that be for you to "trick" everyone with that Chiffon Cake, Johanna. I guess it kinda makes some sort of sense if you think about it as "tomato sauce." I've seen recipes for tomato soup cake why not tomato sauce cake or ketchup cake, lol...

      I do hope you will join us for the Picnic Game. I'll try to remind you on the 18th of June so you can come over and grab a letter:)

      Delete
  3. So cute. I'm kinda' glad the Knight isn't in the office; he loves chicken 'n dumplings and beanie weenies, so I'm guessing the franks 'n dumplings would be right up his alley. Maybe I'll surprise him one evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun book, Channon. I've been wanting to share it for ages. You should really whip up some chicken and dumplings for that man of yours. He certainly deserves them, lol...

      Delete
  4. Hi Louise,
    Spin the bottle game sounds like fun! Why didn't I hear of this game when I was young? But then, I was a real tomboy and kissing boys are definitely not in my mind back then! LOL!
    I'm all YES for the Picnic Game, thought of asking you about it! Just let us know when! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty shy until I hit my 30s, Joyce so this game wasn't in my agenda either. I have heard stories though, lol...I'll be posting about the Picnic Game on June 18th. I'm so happy you will be joining in on the fun!

      Delete
  5. Well, I am not sure I know what the Picnic Game is, so I'm not able to give a response to that one.

    That's a neat vintage Heinz recipe book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nellie. I hope you've gotten my email about the Picnic Game. Just in case, here is a link that gives you an idea of what the Picnic Game is.

      Delete
  6. Totally fun! You find the coolest stuff. The picnic game is tons of fun. I don't know if I'll be able to participate, but I sure enjoy reading everyone's entries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this post John. It was fun to do. I do hope you can "play" the Picnic Game but not to worry, there's always plenty to go around!

      Delete
  7. Im ready for pic nic and you know ;)lol

    I love this post Louise all yours posts are fun and delicious!:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would be ready Gloria, the Picnic Game is so much FUN and we LOVE fun!!!
      P.S. Happy Birthday!

      Delete
  8. that booklet is AMAZING and i'm quite certain they just don't make 'em like that anymore. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love these "retro" type cookbooks, Grace. And you're right, they just don't make them the same anymore.

      Delete
  9. Until we went organic, I was totally a Heinz ketchup person. And yes, I am in if you do the Picnic Game! (In fact I finally pulled together a lemon lavender cupcake which I attempted--and had to swap for something else--a couple years ago!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been a Heinz Ketchup type person, Inger. Noah certainly doesn't get it from me, lol...Mayo yes, Ketchup NO!

      The Picnic Game is a Go this year. I'm so excited! What ever you "bring" I know it will be health wise and deliciously organic!!!

      Delete
  10. Dear Louise, I love the "70's" look of this game and the recipes sound delicious. I like that everything is real and not low fat.
    Hope you had a nice holiday and all is going well. I hope that your daughter is doing well. You are in my prayers. Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 70s sure were colorful, Catherine. It sorta just popped at you, didn't it? I love the realness of these vintage books too. Actually, I prefer my food that way too!

      Michele is doing well, thank you. I'll be posting a brief update on her progress on Sunday. All prayers are welcome, thank you Catherine.

      Delete
  11. It is so good to have you back. This was a great post. I hope all is well. Have a terrific weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Heinz that is brilliant, you were cool right from the before time :D
    Always knows what I want even if I do not ;)

    Cheers
    CCU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heinz had some amazing marketing ploys, Uru. Some, like this one, were quite "retro."

      Delete
  13. Well ketchup on corn-on-the-cob, and ketchup in a cake are both new to me! But I kind of like the ketchup-butter idea. I think you could put just about anything with butter and it would be good. As for the picnic game, I think it's a wonderful idea, although I usually forget to contribute or get to it too late :o. But if an avid spectator gets a vote, I vote yes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyway you slice it, Lynn, ketchup and I disagree. Of course spectators get a vote and it looks like it's Game On! I hope you can "play" but if you can't, do drop by for all the goodies, pleeze:)

      Delete
  14. A bottle of Heinz ketchup is a great classic! If I can spin, cheat and choose, I like It's the kids turn in the kitchen mood :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that one too Zoe although the "Seeing Red Mood" is cool too!

      Delete
  15. So happy to see you back, Louise! This was such a fun post. Count me in for the Picnic game! Missed you and your fun, interesting posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. I'm so delighted you will be playing the Picnic Game. I have a feeling this year is going to be the best ever, if that's possible!

      Delete
  16. Not really sure what the picnic game is but I'll be on the lookout :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CJ, On June 18th, which I'm sure you know is International Picnic Game, visitors choose a letter to take on a virtual picnic. It's similar to the children's game I'm going on a Picnic and I'm bringing... After they have chosen their letter, they post it on their blog with the rest of the letters before their letter reciting the above phrase. (that's why many try to get the beginning letters:) Then, on July 1st, which begins PIcnic Month, I will post a round up of all the letters. We've been playing the Picnic Game for 5 years and although it is virtual, it feels, smells and sounds like a Picnic, virtually of course! I do hope you will join us but if you can't, drop by to see how we fill our baskets!!!

      Delete

Through this wide opened gate,
none came to early,
none returned to late.

Thanks for dropping in...Louise