-

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Celebrating International Picnic Day & the Picnic Game with the Muppets!

Picnic Game Update-July, 1, 2013: I am flabbergasted by the enthusiasm this year. Although we are always excited to link our blankets together, for some reason this year seems extra special. Perhaps it's because 2013 is the 5 year anniversary of The Picnic Game!

Welcome to the Fifth Annual International Picnic Day Celebration
Can you think of a better way to kick off International Picnic Day? I sure can't! Who doesn't adore the Muppets, who doesn't relish a picnic? Put them both together and we get, drum...roll...please....Jim Henson's Muppet Picnic Cookbook!
"Hi-ho, Kermit the Frog here--organizer, maitre d' and spokesfrog for the incredible, once in a lifetime Muppets Picnic Cookbook!...My own personal choice is Swamp Salad, which brings back memories of when I was just a wee tad growing up among the lilypads."
"Hi-ya! Hi-ya! Hi-ya! These recipes are so good you are not going to be able to bear it. Get it? Bear? All right moving right along...Wocka wocka wocka! Here they are I copied them straight from my mother's Cookbook for the Cave."
And what would an International Picnic Day be without a few words, and a recipe from The Swedish Chef? Beats the heck out of me? (and google translator:)
"Yar bin erst in yammer-yammer de hoppen in yore verst de fligen."

Picnic Game 2013

Can you believe it has been 5 years since we started toting our baskets to the annual virtual picnic? My oh my how time does fly! What? You've never been invited. Oh no, that must change, NOW! Everyone is invited to plop a blanket down anywhere in the world and join in on the picnic fun. You can either bring a basket full of goodies or, you can join us on July 1st for the annual Picnic Game Round-up! If you're in a toting mood, it begins like this, I'm going on a picnic and I'm bringing...I've got a better idea, since many of you have played the Picnic Game before, how about I just show this video I found on how to play the traditional Picnic Game:


How To Play the Picnic Game on Howcast

Easy peasy, right? Let's sum it up. Basically, it's very simple. You choose a letter of the alphabet which matches the title of the dish you would like to bring to the picnic and post it on your blog.
The traditional memory game starts when one player recites: "I'm going on a picnic and I'm bringing an ___."  (a delicious dish) that starts with the letter A; for instance Apple Pie)
The second player says, "I'm going on a picnic, and I'm bringing an Apple Pie. (the same "A" word(s) the first player used, in this case an Apple Pie) and ___." Here's where you add the B word like, Blueberry Muffins.

Each player recites on their blog what the person before is bringing and adds what they're bringing until we reach the end of the alphabet. Take a quick look at last year's Round-up posted in the sidebar and you should get the general idea. Of course, if you have any questions, just leave a comment or email me acalenda [at] gmail [dot] com. If you would like to see any of the previous totes from the past years, I have a Pinterest Picnic Game board you can visit too.
1. Since this is a virtual picnic game, Anyone, Anywhere can play. I do request that recipes be posted in English or have easy access to translation.

2. Choose your letter but don't take too long. The "easy" letters seem to go pretty quickly. Leave a comment on this post with the letter you have chosen. For instance, if you want to bring a dish to the picnic, that begins with the letter "A," your comment must be left before another person chooses that letter. We can only have one letter of the alphabet for each dish.  Note: If you would like to choose a backup letter just in case your chosen letter is taken, that would be GREAT too.

3. I will let you know if you can bring your dish to the picnic by leaving a You're Invited! comment on your blog. "You're Invited" will be your signal to grab a copy of the Picnic Game logo above and prepare a post for the Picnic Game Round-Up. Now, here's the difficult part. Since the Picnic Game is listed in alphabetical order, you may feel a bit like a contortionist trying to get your post up while still leaving room for the letters and delicious looking images that will be preceding yours. Just make a mental note and it should all work out fine. I'm always here for any questions and once we get going, I'll have many samples to show you I'm sure:)

Summary

1. Select a recipe that begins with your chosen letter and write a post about it on your blog. You must list what the people before you are bringing. That's why it's called the Picnic Game! I will email you with those links and images, as soon as they are emailed to me.
2. Include the Picnic Day Logo in your post with a link back to this post.
3. Email me at acalenda {at} gmail {dot} com (it would be really nice of you to include Picnic Game in the subject line) In the email please include the following.

a. Your name
b. Your blog's name
c. Your post URL
d. The name of your recipe
e. An image of your dish and also let me know if you give me permission to pass the image along to other picnickers and whether you mind if it is included on Pinterest.

4. If you would like to bring more than one dish to the picnic, you are more than welcome. Just note it in the email and include items C-E for each additional dish.
5. Please email me as soon as you know what you are bringing so I can forward your link to the other picnickers. Please no later than Friday, June 28, 2013, midnight EST.
6. I will be posting the entire list of Picnic Game recipes by midnight July 1st just in time for National Picnic Month! If for some reason, there are not enough entries by that time, I'll do my best to fill in the blanks.
7. If you would like to host the Picnic Day Game on your blog, and get your visitors involved, be my guest. The more the merrier. Just let me know. (this would require another set of picnic letters from A-Z and a bit of enjoyable work on the part of the hostess:) We'll "link our picnic "blankets" together:)
8. I'll be doing blog updates with available letters and such during the course of "playing."
So, are you ready to play the Picnic Game? Choose a letter, leave a comment and let the toting begin!!! The Muppets are waiting:)





If you  the Picnic Game, please use this hash tag #picnicgame.
Resources
Jim Henson's Muppet Picnic Cookbook was published by Hallmark Cards, Inc. in 1981. All copyrights belong to their respective owners.

97 comments:

  1. I wish I had that muppet picnic cookbook - it looks so much fun - and your picnic game is lots of fun too - can I please play - The letter that comes to mind is C but it does beg for something sweet and I would love to bring something more savoury to make sure vegos are catered for so if C is taken you could choose me a letter. It is a gloomy grey day here so I think a virtual picnic would be very welcome - happy international picnic day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Johanna,

      Thanks for playing the Picnic Game. You are more than welcome to bring the letter C but if you would like another letter that is fine too because the letter C is in high demand this year. Just let me know so I can let the others know if it is taken for sure.

      Delete
    2. Johanna! Thank you for "bringing" the letter Q I can't wait to see what you bring!!! Q it is. I sent yo as email:)

      Delete
  2. Hi Louise,
    Cute cookbooks!
    Great, picnic game! I would like the letter C, hope it is still available!
    Thank you for hosting, it is gonna be another fun picnic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce,

      I just popped by your blog to let you know the letter C may be taken. Johanna is undecided. Would you like to pick another letter or wait until Johanna gets back to me?

      Delete
    2. Hi Louise,
      I'll wait for Johanna to decide for C. My next choice is 'O'.
      Thank you!

      Delete
    3. Hi Joyce,

      Johanna is taking the letter Q. The letter C is all yours!!!

      Delete
    4. Hi Louise,
      Thank you! I'm coming to the picnic! I can't wait to see what everyone else will be bringing! Yums!

      Delete
  3. Wow! Picnic Time again! I can't wait to see this year's spread! I love the Muppets Cookbook - it seems that every celebrity, including Kermit, has a cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? No celebrity cookbook in the works for you T.W? Must change that, lol...Recipes from Restoration Farm perhaps?

      Delete
  4. Hi Louise,
    I will be out of the country when the picnic game takes place, so I may not have enough internet access to obtain and post the list when you produce it.
    I am very sad. The only way I could participate would be to do the letter A for Aloo Gobi (a dish I have recently made, with photos).
    Then I could do the post ahead of time and schedule its appearance. But someone else might want that letter.
    I look forward to seeing the result of the game when I have internet access!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The letter A is yours Mae. I'm delighted you'll be joining us albeit virtually but after all, this is a virtual Picnic!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Louise. I'll schedule a post!

      Delete
  5. I'd like the letter D because I'm dying for Chocolate..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The letter D belongs to you Janet, Dying for Chocolate. I feel a recipe with your name in, lol...Can't wait to taste it at the Picnic. (or sip it?)

      Delete
  6. Am I early enough to snag B? I missed last year, and I really did MISS the fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You certainly are, Channon. The letter B is yours to tote!

      Delete
  7. Dear Louise, Sounds like fun. Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so much fun Catherine! Perhaps you would like to join us? If not, there will be oodles to eat at the Picnic!

      Delete
  8. Yay!! I would love to come to the picnic and bring something that starts with the letter F!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would love to have you Heather. Can you believe it has been five years!!! The letter F is all yours!

      Delete
  9. oh sorry I see now the letter b is taken , let me think maybe S what you think???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The letter S is just what we need at our picnic Gloria. I can't wait to see what you tote. Of course "tasting" it will be heavenly too, lol...

      Delete
  10. Thanks Louise so I have to look my cookbooks LOL to something with S!!!
    whats fun! I love this!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you do, Gloria. I just know whatever you bring will be dee...li...cious!

      Delete
  11. Is the letter E taken? If not, I can use E!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Letter E is yours Tina! I'll be right over to let you know.

      Delete
  12. I can't believe it's been 5 years Louise! Very cool! I'll definitely be here to see the round-up and if I change my mind about participating I'll stop by again to see what letters are left. Thanks for the personal invite! I always loved this game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll miss you Reeni your toting dish Reeni but we're glad you will join us for the round-up!

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. You got it Yummy! So glad you're "playing!"

      Delete
  14. Hi Louise, Thank you for dropping by at my blog. Here's the link of the coffee eclairs http://www.mykitchenandphotography.com/2013/06/coffee-eclairs.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for dropping off the link, Alma. Your Coffee Eclairs look absolutely delicious. I sure wouldn't mind having just one with my morning coffee!

      Delete
  15. Ooo...getting EXCITED!!! THE PICNIC GAME IS ON AGAIN. I'm taking the letter 'G' this year, please. Is it still available? Hope so.
    Thanks so much for the invitation, Louise. & Enjoy your day dear.
    Blessings, Kristy
    p/s Not sure if I have time for this for the time being. Cause has been busy working lately. Will think about it later on. ((hugs)) Thank you for thinking of me. hehe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is, Kristy. The PICNIC GAME is on a we are going to have a blast!!! I can hardly wait to see what everyone brings in their baskets. It's going to be the best Picnic EVER!

      Delete
  16. You know that I will take any letter. If you would prefer to sub in a difficult letter, just let me know.

    Bizzy Bakes- P

    My Sweet and Savory - O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The letters you have chosen are just what we need at the picnic, Chaya. Thank you so much for joining us for the Picnic Game again this year. Can you believe it has been 5 GREAT picnic years!!! "See" you there!

      Delete
  17. Hi Louise--thanks for the reminder! First choice "I", second "L"--have ideas I want to work on for both!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for joining us Inger,

    I it is then! Can't wait to see what you're bringing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How much fun, Louise! What a great game =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela. You are more than welcome to join in on the FUN!!!

      Delete
  20. Hi Louise ,
    The picnic looks like great fun ...this will be my first time , it will be so much fun learning ... but most of all it will be great fun meeting and making friends with the other picnickers.
    I would like the letter W . Can't wait to meet everyone .
    Nee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Nee, I am so delighted that you are going to join in a "play" the Picnic Game. I know for sure EVERYONE will make you feel more than welcome. We are a bunch of fun loving, stuffing our faces kinda picnickers!

      The letter W is yours!!! I am so excited!!! You are going to LOVE playing:) Thank YOU!

      Delete
  21. Hi Louise, I would love to come to the picnic! If the letter M is available I’ll take it! If not, how about R. Looking forward to all the fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would LOVE to have you play Kathy. The letter M is all yours! I know you are going to surprise us with such goodness, I can hardly wait!!! Thank you so much for playing:)

      Delete
  22. Hi Louise, So glad that you're back & the Picnic game is on again this year! I would love to join in the fun, just let me know which letter is still available . I'll try to come up with something .... gosh!!.. in 8 days!!! Well I'll try my best to remember the dead line ! LOL I LOVE the Muppet Picnic Cookbook! So cute & fun too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The letter N is still available Kit and it's all yours! I'm so glad you are going to join us for the Picnic Fame once again. it's going to be so much FUN!

      Delete
  23. Thanks Kit, It's great to be back and playing the Picnic Game is the best "faux dessert" EVER! I'll be right over to let you know what letters are left. I guess I should do an Update and let everyone know. The letters went so quick this year!

    Thank you so much for stopping by and thank YOU for playing the Picnic Game. If I remember correctly, you brought those irresistible Nougat Brownies last year:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, I really enjoyed The picnic Game last & you can count on me again this year. I hope 'N' is still available! I've something extra 'N' for the picnic! hehehehehe Have a lovely weekend , dear Louise! HUGS ;)

      Delete
  24. Love that cookbook! And so glad the picnic game is on again - so much fun to read everyone's contributions! Thanks for all your work in organizing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is unique isn't it John. Looks like it was "loved" too:)

      There's still time to join the Picnic Game. As of this moment, we are still shy some cocktails. The picnic kind of course. You could bring Mrs. KR too. Or, you could anticipate all that goodness we'll be sharing come Picnic Month! Either way, it's going to be GREAT!

      Delete
  25. Wow it looks great.... Can I also join for the picnic...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Akila, of course you can join the picnic game. Just pick one of the letters that are left and leave me a comment in this post. It is so much FUN! And, if you need any help, I will be glad to show you. Thank you so much for asking...

      Delete
  26. Oh that cookbook is too adorable my friend :D
    I am so sorry my exams are stopping me from enjoying joining with the picnic game!

    Cheers
    CCU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll miss you Uru but there's always room for you on one of the blankets:) Good Luck with those exams!

      Delete
  27. Hi, I would like the letter "H" if it is not taken. My backup letter would be "Z" but I prefer "H".
    My first year, still not quite sure how eveything works but I will read up.
    Thanks, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The letter H is yours Ginger. I'll be right over to let you know. Not to worry about it being your first year, everyone is so gracious and the baskets are always brimming with deliciousness! Welcome aboard!

      Delete
  28. Hi Louise,

    This is so cute! I would love to play the picnic game but can't think of any food with the un-taken letters! I guess that my brain is still not thinking very well after these much flying :P

    Btw, Minneapolis the flour city is great! Sad that I didn't get a chance to visit Pennsylvania and would love drop by if I'm going to US again :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Zoe. I sure do understand about jet lag, lol...So glad you had a GREAT time in the flour city. I knew you would. Can't wait to see the pics:) Maybe next time you can visit me in PA...

      You have time to think of something to bring. Just pick a letter and go with it. If you can't think of something to make just make up a name using a word with one of the letters. For instance, the letter L is still available. You could make Luscious Chocolate Bars, lol...I'm sure when you get back to your regular schedule you will think of something. when you do, just let me know on this post and let the Picnic Game begin!

      Delete
  29. aww I want to join too but unfortunately I am stuck with a whole load of work. In fact I am late with everything and I blame the electricity cuts. -_-
    So sorry, I would have had a blast Louise, I feel bad that I have to decline your sweet and fun invitation. =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, I understand, Helene. Perhaps you will make the round-up. There will be baskets brimming with food and plenty of room on our blankets!

      Delete
  30. Louise, this is such a fun post...Muppet's Picnic cookbook...I never knew about it until this post. I am so sorry not being able to participate...and look forward to the round-up...I am sure that the basket will be packed of delicious picnic food :D
    Hope you are having a fun week my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delighted you found this post enjoyable Juliana. The book may be a bit "slim" but it sure does pack goodness!

      The baskets will be brimming with goodies and there will be plenty to share. "See" you at the Picnic!!!

      Delete
  31. hi louise, cant believe that it's picnic game again! how abt the letter L ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry Lena, I thought I dropped by your blog and told you the Picnic Game is on for this year. So sorry. I'll be right over to let you know the letter L is indeed YOURS!!! It is going to be a delicious Picnic Game this year!

      Delete
  32. That cookbook is so cute! I can't wait to see what the participants will cook.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosa. Me either!!! We're gonna have lots of goodies this year!

      Delete
  33. Hi Louise,
    This sounds interesting! I would like to join your Picnic Game. May I have the letter T?
    Thanks and cheers,
    Ivy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ivy!
      I am delighted to welcome you to the Picnic Game. It's so much fun and a great way to celebrate National Picnic Month in July!!! You are more than welcome to bring the letter T Can't wait to "see" what you tote:) Thank you so much for visiting...

      Delete
  34. What a cute post, Louise. I can't play this year, but I'll be better prepared next year. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary. So sorry you can't make it this year, we will miss you. Hoep you will make the round-up though, our blankets will have plenty of room and tons of food!

      Delete
  35. I loved the Muppets growing up! Kermit is my absolute favorite. :) I had no idea they had a cookbook --very cute! :) Have a great weekend!

    Anne ~ Uni Homemaker

    ReplyDelete
  36. boy, was i startled when kermit's voice entered my apartment all of a sudden! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Grace:) Just trying to get everyone in a Picnic Sorta Mood:)

      Delete
  37. Hi Louise, I can do a Y! If its still available -
    Mich

    ReplyDelete
  38. I can't figure if my comment was entered. May I have the letter Y?

    ReplyDelete
  39. oh dear Louise, so sorry I just re-read the rules and the blog entry must be done by June 28. That's a few days away and i don't think I can whip up something so fast. I'm so sorry but I don't think I'll be able to join this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mich, I'm so sorry you won't be able to make the Picnic Game. If it helps any, you can take still take the letter Y and come late! Let me know if that works.

      Delete
  40. Hi Louise,

    I have picked N being my Never-give-up cheesecake... LOL! Hope that you will accept that. I will send you the details via email.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Zoe,

      Never Give-Up-Cheesecake sounds interesting but...I'll wait to see your email...

      Delete
  41. Hi Louise,

    I have just sent you an email a few minutes ago. I'm sorry that I'm a little slow... I can be like a grandma with emailing and typing :p

    Hope that N is still available for me. If not, I can understand... Sorry that I've been a grandma too responding to blog's comment :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe,
      I just sent you an email. Of course you can bring your creation. I'm just going to change the name a tiny bit and use it for another letter that we don't have yet. No problem. We are so happy to have you join us! Thank you so much.

      P.S. I'm a grandma too and a bit slow I might add:)

      Delete
  42. Hi Louise,
    My dish for the letter T is ready. Pls check your e-mail.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivy. It's good to know we will have some healthy at our Picnic!

      Delete
  43. Hi Louise,
    Sounds like very interesting! I would like to join your Picnic Game. May I have the letter B?
    Thanks.
    xinghui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi xing, Thank you for dropping by. We would LOVE for you to play the Picnic Game but the letter B is already taken. If you would like to "bring" something that begins with the letter X or Z, that would be GREAT! Just let me know. I left my email address on your blog. Just in case, the Picnic Game Round-up is July 1st, there will be plenty for everyone!

      Delete
    2. Hi xing,
      I got your email that you will try. I can't seem to leave a comment on your blog today because I don't belong to google+ Your Banana Bread sure looks good. I like nutmeg in Banana bread but usually forget to add it, lol..please send me your email address if you get a minute.

      Delete
  44. Hi Louise,
    Additional dish for the letter Y is already added to the picnic basket. Do enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivy. I'm off to pick it up now!

      Delete
  45. Hi,I've sent you an email but I guess all those letters that I mentioned have been taken. How about a 'P'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for playing, cheah. I'm so glad we figured it out:) "See" you at the picnic!

      Delete
  46. X-Z, you say? I need to be more on the ball!!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually have all the letters covered Liz. It's going to be one smorgasbord of a picnic!

      Delete
  47. I´m very late I guess... well, next year!

    ReplyDelete

Through this wide opened gate,
none came to early,
none returned to late.

Thanks for dropping in...Louise