-

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Whoopie! It's My Birthday!

Do you think it rather odd O D D that someone, of my age and caliber, would so eagerly announce their birthday to the world? Well, it isn't really once you realize that the Whoopie in today's title doesn't totally apply to me. You see dear visitors today is Maine Whoopie Pie Day! (If you're curious about how the Picnic Game is progressing, scroll down:)

The celebration of Maine’s Official State Treat, the Whoopie Pie, takes place on Saturday, June 22, 2013. {always the fourth Saturday in June} In its 4th year the Maine Whoopie Pie Festival has become a state-wide celebration of the iconic Maine treat – the Whoopie Pie. This year, the festival will feature dozens of bakers and literally tens of thousands of whoopie pies along with other vendors and crafters, artists, activities, lots of fun for kids and families and live music all day long...(Maine Today)

That's right. Now only does the state of Maine claim fame to Maine Blueberry Pie, which also happens to be its state dessert, Maine has also managed to get The Whoopie Pie designated its state "treat." But wait, there's more. What happened was, a group of people, I think it was the Maine Whoopie Pie association, wanted to originally have the Whoopie Pie designated the state dessert. However, the folks at, I believe, the Maine Blueberry Association, wouldn't hear of it because that they noted, may take the limelight away from their so utterly delicious Maine Blueberries. I'm guessing a few years back, it's my birthday so memory may be foggier than normal:) So, I'm guessing the two associations came to some kind of truce. However, there are a few people who are a hop, skip, and a jump away from the state of Maine who disagree to the whole flying saucer mess. They would be the people of Pennsylvania, yes where I now reside. In fact, to narrow it down even further, in particular those people would be, the Amish. Whew!

I think I've wet your whistle enough about this Whoopie Pie Round-About don't you? I would like to revisit the conversation one day when I'm not typing up this post the evening before my son is going to surprise me with a birthday outing. "Bright and Early" he said. He usually means it too. He gets his early rising genes from me I suppose:)

So, what I'm going to do, is, stash my Whoopie Pie notes for another day, rummage through a previous post for those "retro" Fluffernutter recipe books I shared with you a while back, and drop off a couple of recipes. Then, off to bed I go:)

The reason for the fluffernutter books is because during my venture out into the world of Whoopie Pies, the Durkee-Mower folks (creators of Fluffernutter) were mentioned more than once. Oddly enough, their company was then based out of Lynn, Massachusetts. Apparently, Whoopie Pies took a leap once a recipe for a similar concoction was mentioned in one of their recipe books. Truth be told, I'll be darned if I can find a Whoopie Pie recipe in either. I know some of you may have seen these books before but really, does one ever tire of seeing such charm?

Yummy Books
Both these Yummy books are undated. If I had to guess, I'd say they are from the 1930s.

I suppose it's only right to include a Whoopie Pie recipe from someone who actually lives/lived in Maine. So, here's a simple Whoopie Pie recipe from Maine Cookery; Then and Now published by the Maine Courier Gazette and compiled by Loana Shibles and Annie Rogers in 1972. I should note, the first chapter which is devoted to the THEN recipes does not include a recipe for Whoopie Pies. Down East Enchiladas, yes. Old Time Hogshead Cheese, yes. Whoopie Pies or anything to the liking, no. (I'll make sure though before we discuss this again:)

It just wouldn't seem "proper" to do all this fluffernutter whoopie pie talk with out including a recipe for, Fluffernutter Whoopie Pies, of course! This recipe comes from the Marshmallow Fluff site itself!
Fluffernutter Whoopie Pies  
 • 1 egg
 • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
 • 1 cup sugar
 • 2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
 • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
 • 1 tsp. baking soda
 • 1/4 tsp. salt
 • 3/4 cup milk
 • 1 tsp. vanilla •
Filling (recipe follows)
Heat oven to 350 F. Grease two large cookie sheets and set aside. In a large bowl with mixer at medium speed beat egg and vegetable oil. Gradually beat in sugar and continue beating until pale yellow in color. In another bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In a measuring cup combine milk and vanilla. Add flour and milk mixtures alternately to eggs and sugar, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Let sit 10 minutes. Drop by tablespoons onto cookie sheet. These will spread a lot, so make 6 cakes per sheet at a time. Bake about 5 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched with finger. Remove to wire racks to cool. When cool, use filling and two cakes to make sandwiches. Makes 15.
Filling:
• 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
• 1/4 cup butter or margarine (1/2 stick) 
• 2 cups confectioners' sugar
• 1 Jar (7.5oz) Marshmallow Fluff
• 2 tbsp. milk
Bring butter to room temperature. In a medium bowl with mixer at low speed, beat butter and remaining ingredients until light and fluffy.

In all fairness, and just in case The Whoopie Pie actually was first enjoyed in the commonwealth, here's another Whoopie Pie recipe from Mirian's Cookbook by Carrie Bender. Notice the ingredients difference?

And just in case these recipes aren't enough to hold you over until we dig into the depths of the true Whoopie Mystery, I've managed to gather a few recipes on my Whoopie Pie Day Pinterest board. Yes, it does exist.

Picnic Game Update

I just can't leave you without letting you know how the picnic game is progressing. In one word, FANTABULOUS! I've already received glimpses into the baskets of goodies. One post is already up but I'm not telling which one because I haven't sent it along to the other picnickers yet. We have new guests this year which I'm thrilled about! I told them how much fun the Picnic Game is and what gracious hosts you all are and they decided to join in on the fun. I know you all will be as excited to meet them. Some of them you may even already know.

As for the letters, well, there are, are you ready? There are eight letters left! I must admit, I was getting a wee bit nervous about the amount of empty picnic baskets until I looked back on picnic games from yore. To my delight or chagrin, some people wait until the last minute to choose their letter. That's okay though because if I remember correctly, we've gotten some tasty last minute goodies at our picnic in prior years. However, just in case they over sleep (which is probably what I should be doing about now:) I'll figure out a way to fill those eight baskets. We've done it before, in our first year, and we'll do it again in our fifth! Here are the letters for you sleepy heads:) X and Z

Oh I know, you may think these letters are heavier to tote but think of it this way. Jell-O, Knudgel, Udon Noodles and Vine Ripened Tomato Salad are all easy peasy. It's the XY and Z that are the heaviest. Are you up to the challenge? Just take a look at XY and Zee from last year's picnic in the sidebar. Our baskets were brimming that year! So get those creative thinking caps on and let's play The Picnic Game!!! (follow that link for the "rules") The Gang's Awaitin'

Before I go, I would like to send birthday wishes along to John at Kitchen Riffs and Nee from Nee's Place. John will be visiting us for the Picnic Game Round-up and Nee, well Nee is our newest picnicker. I think it extraordinary that they both share their birthdays on the same day as me; Today! (we won't talk about years:)

I'll be sending out the letters that I already have beginning on Sunday. So if you're almost done or entirely done, send your basket along. Please put Picnic Game in your subject line. It just makes it easier for me to pick through my stream of email:) Have a wonderful rest of the weekend everyone and I'll "see" you on Wednesday, National Chocolate Pudding Day! (chocolate pudding filled whoopies? now there's a thought:)

Resources
1. Celebrating National Fluffernutter Day
2. A Day of Marshmallow Fluff

50 comments:

  1. This is one thing I've never tried to make. Your blog today has given me inspiration. Wonder how long it will take me to work on it?:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh just go for it Nellie. Whoopie Pie baking and eating is very therapeutic:)

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday dear Louise and I love these Whoopie pies recipes and love this books you always show:)
    and like a gift I will take the letter V and the other I have LOL
    So if V is IK tell me.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gloria. I can see you getting really creative with Whoopie Pies. Try it one day. The kids will love them! I can't wait to "see" your V at the Picnic Game.

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday, Louise! I've said it before but I'm going to say it again: I'm so glad you're posting again! I love your blog and always learn so much. I wouldn't have knows it was Maine Whoopie Pie Day had you not told us! I hope you'll have a great day! And I may need to make a whoopie pie to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally John I think you should create a Whoopie Pie cocktail, lol...

      I had a GREAT birthday. I hope you did too:) How cool is it that all three of us shared the same birthday! (Nee's b-day too:)

      Delete
  4. Happy 'Birthday Day' Louise and many more .If you need still need Y and Z let me know , I'm just round the bend .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nee. Happy Birthday to YOU too! I never saw the surprise your children prepared for you. Did it post?

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday from one baby to another. I made my picnic dish and will post soon. Need to upload photos.
    I will toast your good health this evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here, here, Tina. Right back at you and many, many more!

      Delete
  6. What a lovely blog you have! I found you through Canela's kitchen and I'm so glad I did. Happy Birthday anyway and I LOVE the recipe for the Whoopie Pie. so happy to follow you
    Mary x
    ps - so enjoyed the song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary for your kind words. I am so delighted you found us right smack in the middle of the Picnic Game. I do hope you will drop by on July 1st and help us devour all the goodies. There's plenty of room on the blanket!

      Delete
  7. Not a fan of whoopies, and I still need to figure out what we're bringing to the picnic. Sissy insists it has to be something she could eat, so that cuts out a host of ingredients...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure what ever you bring to the picnic will be human worthy and "girl" worthy:)

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday, Louise! Wishing you a year filled with everything good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Belated Birthday to you, louise! May many more happy returns. ((hugs)) Mine is on the 14th & my girl is on the 20th. How wonderful! Me & my girl are both Gemini. heheh...
    Hope you're having a lovely time.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like I should be sending birthday greetings your way, Kristy. Happy Birthday to ALL! It is wonderful you are all Gemini. I was born on the Gemini/Cancer cusp and boy does it show, lol...

      Delete
  10. Hi Louise,
    Happy Birthday!
    Whoopies pies, I have not made these in ages!
    If K is still available, I'm happy to bring something extra to the picnic!
    Hope you have a fun birthday today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. K was available, Joyce and it's all mine!!! Oh, okay, I'll share:) "see" you at the Picnic! And thanks for the birthday wishes. I've been celebrating all week!

      Delete
  11. Happy Birthday and what joy to hear your picnic basket is gonna get overloaded with all the goodies. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jen. Even I'm amazed at the goodies that we'll have this year, incredible!

      Delete
  12. Happy Birthday Louise. I know you had a wonderful time. Thanks for reminding us of the days of Whoopie pies and I am glad that the picnic is moving along nicely.
    xoGinger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginger. The Picnic Game is indeed moving along. The baskets are getting full and we'll be celebrating til sundown!

      Delete
  13. Hi Louise ,
    You started something at my house , now you see how I will be spending the rest of my day ... making whoopie pies .
    Be back later .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will share them on your blog Nee. They are so much fun to make. The kids will have a memorable time for sure!

      Delete
  14. Hi louise, happy birthday! those yummy books cover pictures are indeed such a charm and lovely. I've tried whoopie pies and love it! i just posted my dish ( cake ) for the picnic game today, will be sending you the email shortly. Bye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lena:) Your cake for the Picnic Game looks heavenly, Lena. I can't wait to try it. I'll be planting my blanket as close as possible!

      Delete
  15. Happy birthday Louise! What a beautiful collection of whoopie pies. I think I gained weight just looking at them! Oh wait, the weight was from testing my picnic game recipe (which btw failed, so I'll be trying again tomorrow)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no Inger. I'm sure they didn't fail. Most likely they weren't exactly as you liked. I bet they sure are going to come together just in time for the Picnic Game:)

      Delete
  16. Happy birthday, Louise! So are u celebrating with Miss Piggy?? Hahaha! Such a fun party out there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley. Who knows, Miss Piggy may very well have been there:)

      Delete
  17. Belated Happy Birthday, Louise! I'm so sorry I missed the original date of whoopie, but I was in America's heartland for a family wedding. I sure learned a lot of about Lincoln along the way! Anyway, many happy returns and many more! How perfect to celebrate your day with a couple of whoopie pies filled with Fluff!! I recently bought a pan to bake whoopie pies. I haven't tried it yet, but that Marshmallow Fluff recipe just might inspire me! Hope your birthday surprise was great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a Whoopie Pan, T.W? You are such a gadget type person:) I think you should make us all some Whoopie Pies with Fluff because we're fluffernutters from way back when, lol...(and don't you have a blogoversary coming up:)

      I do hope you will be sharing your new found Lincoln knowledge. Did you keep note, lol...

      Thanks for the birthday wishes. My son and I had a wonderful day. I even managed to win some money!

      Delete
  18. Happy birthday, Louise! Love these recipes...I can always rely on you for some classic yummy food! I hope this one is as sweet as these pies =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday! Brutus is singing loudly for you!

    Interesting the differences between the Whoopie Pie recipes, isn't it? But, really, who can resist something with a name which is as much fun as "Whoopie!"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear Brutus all the way form here Marjie:) Please tell him thank you for the well wishes:)

      There are all kinds of Whoopie's around here. I just need to choose one, lol...

      Delete
  20. Happy belated birthday Louise ! WOW! Whoopie pie with peanut butter & marshmallow ! Now that is what I call a treat! Great recipe that I like to try for my boys just love PB & Marshmallow! I mean who doesn't!! Well, my hubby, the typical Frenchie! LOL BTW My 'N' thing is in the making now for the picnic game. Hopefully it works ! Have a lovely day, dear! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kit. My birthday was absolutely wonderful! A Fluffernutter Whoopie is surely the way to go. And, your N "thing" lloks awesome! Can't wait to nibble at the picnic!

      Delete
  21. Happy Birthday, Louise!
    So sorry I missed the Picnic Game this year...had no idea you were doing it again! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara. I am so sorry you missed the picnic post too. I thought for sure I dropped by to invite you. Hopefully we will see you at the round-up July 1st. Next year I will make sure to send you an invitation, personally!

      Delete
  22. Hi Louise! I just had to get back to you after your lovely comment on my blog! - what are you talking about - your blog is simply gorgeous!!! You are very generous and I had to read the comment twice!! thanks again so much and I'm looking forward to your next post!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe gee, Mary, you're very sweet. Hope to "se" you at the picnic round-up, July 1st!

      Delete
  23. Happy Belated Birthday Louise!
    I yet have to bake whoopie...look forward to see the picnic basket!
    Have a lovely birthday week my dear :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have a lovely birthday week, Juliana, thank you. I must say, I'm excited about the picnic. "See" you there!

      Delete
  24. happy birthday louse - I think a fluffernutter whoopie pie sounds an fun way to celebrate - am writing up my picnic game post so should be back to you with it soon(ish) - we have big political change here that is distracting me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely see Sylvia enjoying a Whoopie, Johanna!

      Delete

Through this wide opened gate,
none came to early,
none returned to late.

Thanks for dropping in...Louise