-

Sunday, September 29, 2013

It's Almost October; What Shall We Celebrate?

I can't remember the last time I posted a list of monthly food celebrations. Can you? I didn't think so:) It's been a while. For those of you who are new to this blog, welcome. I'm not so sure October is such a good initiation month for you. It is loaded with monthly celebrations. I kid you not. I've been posting monthly food celebrations for years now and I don't think there is any other month that celebrates food as much as October. So, for you new visitors and my loyal visitors, hold onto your hats, October is bursting with flavors!

October is...

American Cheese Month
American Cheese Month

National Pasta Month (World Pasta Day is October 26th:)

Pasta Month
Pasta Month Logo

Pasta Fits is having a recipe contest.

Do you have a delicious, healthy pasta recipe everyone loves? Share it with us to win $1,500 and a copy of Tina Ruggiero's new cookbook, "The Truly Healthy Family Cookbook"!
Contest Starts: September 27, 2013 00:00
Submission Deadline: October 20, 2013 23:59
National Pizza Month

October is a wonderful month for dessert! Not only is it National Dessert Month,

Dessert Month
Dessert Circus

It's also Apple Month, Caramel Month and Cookie Month!

Apple Month
Apple Month

There some snackin' going on in October too. It's Popcorn Poppin' Month!

And, National Nut Month too.

I couldn't resist snapping this picture of a local acorn tree. I do believe I will try to grow one!
Acorns, the nut of the oak tree, have been a staple of California Indian diet for more than 4,000 years, and for many groups, the most important plant food. Native Californians harvested 10 or more species of acorns, with the tanbark oak, black oak, blue oak, and valley oak being preferred species. Acorns are extremely nutritious, containing up to 18 percent fat, 6 percent protein, and 68 percent carbohydrate as well as vitamins A and C and many amino acids. (source)

You see what I mean about all these monthly celebrations for October. We haven't even touched on the daily food celebrations yet. I think it best if we leave off here for now and I'll continue the list on Wednesday. I may also have a little surprise for you on Wednesday, we'll see:)

In the meantime, don't forget World Vegetarian Day tomorrow. (October is Vegetarian Awareness Month too) You already know about Cookie Month but October 1st is National Cookie Day too. See what I mean? Oh the tangled web of food days:) "See" ya Wednesday!

P.S. Happy Michaelmas! Today is the Feast Day of St. Michael the Archangel. I'll be around visiting all your delicious blogs on Monday. Marion and I are taking a day trip today:)

34 comments:

  1. Wish the contests are international :< Nonetheless, thanks for sharing the joyful Oct & good luck to all. Oh, never knew acorn tree looks like that. Beautiful pix, Louise! If any of you owns pets, hop over to It's A Dog's World! & introduce them to us! See you there! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, Shirley. We'll have to do something about that. Stay tuned:)

      Delete
  2. Well, this just means the food and the celebration is non-stop this month. I think I'll mark them all! Have a lovely day trip, Louise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That pretty much sums it up T.W. and there's more too:)

      Delete
  3. Wow that's quite a celebration in October n Halloween is coming soon too! Hope you n dear Marion have a wonderful outing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a lot of munching to do before Halloween, Jenn. Good thing there isn't too much candy on the menu, lol...

      Delete
  4. Oh yes it has been a while with the food calendar here.
    October is Pasta and pizza month? Sweet! =D
    October is always sauerkraut and germkircherl (yeast fried bread) for me.
    Enjoy St.Michael's day. They had a big feast here today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn;t even remember Octoberfest, Helene, oh my...

      Delete
  5. Good morning Louise , love cheese any way you slice , your post had a lot of valable information , it's great fun learning about the foods ,I will be cooking dishes with cheese all this month (just kidding), maybe put a slice of cheese next to John's 'Green Curried Tomatoes ' ... enjoy your day out with Marion ...thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Evening, Nee:) John made Green Curried Tomatoes, oh my! I'm off to check those babies out!

      Delete
  6. amazing!! always I think October is amazing month for you in America to celebrate all month LOL and love this here is almost spring and nothing, so I make my own celebrations ha!
    Love the Apple month! yes I remember that, the nut month and pizza, lovely and all thinking in Thanksgiving, anyway I have delicious récipes to make with apples and have some frozen chestnut puree (I love) and hope to make time to make someones ( and some thing when I find delicious fruits) I have a lot of work , xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is a month stuffed with food celebrations, Gloria! You are more than welcome to join in on the celebrations while you wait for the budding of Spring. You sure do have lots to do. I can't wait until you share that apple recipe:) I didn't know you could freeze chestnuts. Very interesting:) Thank you so much for visiting...

      Delete
  7. I love the bugs in the pink flower. Happy days for all those food celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just happened upon the spiders nesting in the zinnia while strolling through the garden the other morning, Mae. I thought it looked just perfect but unfortunately my camera didn't get the right shot. (it's easier to blame the picture taker rather than the picture taker, lol...

      Delete
  8. I always love hearing about the monthly (and daily!) celebrations. Looking forward to the surprise on Wednesday! Fun post - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how exciting!! What a great month to have a month of food celebrations. I like it all. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Louise, Enjoyed reading this post. This month of October will be a busy month for sure. Love the way you posted all of the food celebrations. I'd better get busy, I have a lot of cooking to do. Thanks...Hope you enjoyed your day trip with Marion..Blessings, Dottie :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmm, lots to celebrate coming up! (And my birthday too, though I can't eat that birthday cake the way I used to!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. National Pizza Month? Well then I must celebrate it daily no? ;)
    Have a wonderful month!

    Cheers
    CCU

    ReplyDelete
  13. Louise , I just couldn't keep up with all these monthly celebrations ! Oct 1st is Nat'l Cookie Day ?! Yeah , I've baked enough cookies few days ago to last us for a week *sigh* Just kidding , all that's left is crumbs lol Enjoy your day trip with Marion and take care !

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't know that October is bursting with happenings..... I can only recall Octoberfest!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So much to celebrate! LOVE that picture of the acorn tree!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Louise,
    Lots of munching to do in October! LOL!
    I have never seen an acorn fruit before, don't think we have it over here! It looks very pretty actually, at a glance, looks like a sunflower just starting to bloom!
    Hope both you and Marion had a fun day trip!

    ReplyDelete
  17. October is the fallen leaf, but it is also a wider horizon more clearly seen. It is the distant hills once more in sight, and the enduring constellations above them once again.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Louise, love cheese too and btw, I love your last picture, the pink flower too. Have a wonderful and great October month and cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Not only is October a beautiful month with nice weather and changing leaves, it sounds like a delicious month. When I saw the spiders, I thought that you were going to mention Halloween. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Louise, what's an exciting month! Wish I can join you :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Everything was good until I got to the daddy-long-legs. They totally creep me out.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So many contests! Wow! This is an exciting month. During the month of October we all need some sort of comforting (the holidays look so far away now!). And what can be more comforting than food?!
    I love this post and the last photo with the pink flower is really beautiful! A great shot Louise!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, such a busy month Louise...lots of things going on :D
    Hope you are having a fabulous week!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's a lot of celebrations for one month, Louise. How to choose? (Didn't Mary from One Perfect Bite say something about pudding month?) I'll take part with an apple post next month!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i knew i loved october, but i couldn't quite put a finger on why! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Louise, lovely pictures. Look like it's a fun October with so many great events. Happy blogging.

    ReplyDelete

Through this wide opened gate,
none came to early,
none returned to late.

Thanks for dropping in...Louise