-

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

How To Run a Successful Party 1945 Style

Exactly one week from today, we will once again be digging out our favorite picnic recipes, choosing letters of the alphabet and kicking off the annual Picnic Game! That’s right everyone, next Wednesday, June 18th is International Picnic Day! Are you ready yet?

No, me either. Yesterday while I was sitting around doing nothing, because, of course, I’m still pretty immobilized, I decided to look through my June binder of recipe booklets for picnic party ideas. And, look what I found!

This is no ordinary How To Run a Successful Party book. Noooooooo, this booklet, which was published in 1945, features a “secret” ingredient to having a successful party. Can you guess what it is?

If you guessed donuts, you would be sooooooooooo right! Now, I’d love to share every single page with you because as you will see, this booklet is a hoot!

However, time is of the essence, so well be skimming right over to “The Most Popular Donut Games for All Ages.” Can you imagine us sitting around on our picnic blankets playing Pass-The-Donut, lol??? Or what about Pin The Dunk-EE?

Wait, there’s more!!! I do believe the Donut Nose-Pushing Race just may be the solution. We may need to set up our “table” on the grass, unless of course someone feels like toting along an actual picnic table but, I bet we could pull it off, lol…Or, we could play the Dunking Relay Race. I wouldn’t mind sitting on the sidelines taking pictures of all of you:)

The Kick-Off to the annual Picnic Game may be a week away, but as you can see, I’m already getting all geared up to play. Are you? Since many of you have played the Picnic Game before, I decided it wasn’t necessary to repeat the “rules” today. If anyone has any questions, or if you have never played the Picnic Game before, just leave a comment below and I’ll be happy to answer any of your questions in the post next Wednesday when we begin our celebration of International Picnic Day and the kick-off to the Picnic Game by choosing our letters. You can also take a look at last year’s International Picnic Day post which not only features The Muppet Picnic Cookbook, it also explains how to play.

In the mean time, I found this recipe for Jalapeño Cole Slaw that I would love for someone to bring to the Picnic, hint, hint, lol…

Have a wonderful rest of the week everyone and I’ll “see” you all on Saturday for a special Flag Day post:)

P.S. Tomorrow is Peanut Butter Cookie Day!

45 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. We'd love for you to bring Chicken Piccata Mae. Hopefully you will get the letter C before anyone else does. Good Luck!

      Delete
  2. PS -- I'm traveling next week so I might miss the opportunity to send in my letter then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the Coleslaw recipe. I will give it a try and let you know how it is. I needed a new recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome, Geraldine. I can't wait to see how it turns out:)

      Delete
  4. Dunking for donuts floating in Royal Crown Cola?! Now I've heard everything!

    Looking forward to the picnic game again Louise. Your parties are always so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that a hoot, Inger! The Picnic Game is going to be a blast!!!

      Delete
  5. That party book is a hoot! I love food and entertaining books from that era. When I taught preschool, we often did the donuts on a string game, without the whistling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all kids should play the donuts on a sting gmae at least once Linda. Adults too!

      Delete
  6. The slaw sounds amazing! I'll see about joining in on the Picnic Game this time around. Guess I need to review the rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope you will be able to join us Nellie. It's such FUN! Watch for my post on Wednesday it will have the "rules." Basically you pick a letter of the alphabet, hopefully no one has picked it yet, and you post the dish on your blog. Oh yes, you also "recite" I'm going on a picnic and I'm bringing...Your Letter!

      Delete
  7. Hi Louise , you may be moving slow , but sweetie you are in full swing . I love this post and the donuts is a hoot , got to find a cool and easy dish to bring to the picnic , got my blanket not to stake out my shade tree. . Thanks so much for sharing :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it, Nee. It was such fun to post. Save some room under that shade tree for me. Can't wait to see what you "bring."

      Delete
  8. How funny looking at those old books. Love the game with the donuts! So sweet and innocent. Still they had a good sense of fun. Nice coleslaw recipe. I am not that familiar with it and your recipe looks simple and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought some of the donut games were hilarious, Alida. We should try one at the Picnic Game! If you like cabbage uncooked Alida, you will like coleslaw. I really think you should give it a try one day. I bet your family will love it! Most recipes for coleslaw are soooo easy...

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful old booklet! Now I am hungry for a doughnut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Beth! But then I'm always hungry for donuts, lol...

      Delete
  10. Oh I love it!! I'm ready for Derby Party 2015...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Derby Party, Channon? I'm in Picnic Game mode, lol...

      Delete
  11. mmmm I love parties, let's see whether I can be home on time for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope you will be able to join us Edith. It's such fun!

      Delete
  12. Dear Louise, Great post on the Picnic Party Book...it is so cute to read and see the different ways to have a donut themed party. The Jalapeño Cole Slaw recipe looks yummy..Never had anything like that before..a must try for a different twist on Cole Slaw. I don't remember ever playing the Picnic game with you all. I will have to look on last years page to see how it is played. Sounds like fun...I do hope that every day you are feeling a bit better. I know it takes time for things to heal. Thanks again for sharing this fabulous fun post...Blessings dear Louise, Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Dottie,
      I'm so glad you enjoyed the booklet. Isn't it such a hoot, lol...I didn't realize you never played the Picnic Game before. I do hope you will be able to join us. It is such fun! I'll be explaining the rules more in depth on Wednesday. I am feeling better but it is taking longer than I would like. I'll be very happy when I can drive!

      Delete
  13. welcome back and thanks for the lovely recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to be back, Candy. So glad you enjoyed the recipe...

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. It is fun, Medeja. I hope you will join us:)

      Delete
  15. what a great book! Are they dunking doughnuts in cola - that sounds horrid but then I guess you couldn't have a big vat of tea - I did laugh at the doughnuts on a string game because we had that at a kids party last year - some things don't go out of fashion. Can't believe the picnic game is almost upon us again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I lovr this post Louise.
    Can I the letter B or L
    Tell me if not I choose other:)
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  17. So June 18 is THE day Louise?
    Psst this june will be crazy and busy snd fun.
    Here rains a lot but you know alwsys I go to yours picnics:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Picnic time! I always love this, even though I'm never organized enough to participate! Maybe this year? Who knows! I actually have a Jalapeño Cole Slaw on my blog that I did a year or two ago, so I can't contribute that, of course. That donut-crazed book is wonderful! Love the donut nose-race. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't have the energy to join in, but I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone creates. You know what life is like in my little corner of the world right now...

    And, of course, every gathering is better with donuts. Look at all the donut shops around, and then ask my sons if you don't believe me!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful find!! and thanks for sharing it with us!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have to admit that donuts were the furthest thing from my mind. Love these retro books. I would love to play along with the picnic game. Do you assign letters? I'm pretty clueless. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  22. I will play after all, if I can have the letter A (so I don't have too long a post). I just made a very pretty "A" food.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love looking at old books like your party book. How times have changed. Makes me wonder what they will be saying about our things that we have today in about 50 years.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a hoot! Thanks for sharing that blast from the past with us, Louise! I love taking my potato salad to picnics because everyone raves about it. It's okay for me to brag about it because it's actually my mother's potato salad! :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. I hope I can be back in time to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  26. These party ideas are simply great especially the Donut Nose-Pushing Race! I love playing that & I can imagine the both of us in the game! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Welcome back, Louise!! That coleslaw recipe sounds wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looking forward to the picnic game…it is always a fun time! That retro book is too funny! Who would have thought Donuts? Not me! Can I put my request in for C if no one has taken it? See you next week, Louise!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very interesting. Both the cake and coleslaw look delicious.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think you have picnics on your mind. Coleslaw sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Through this wide opened gate,
none came to early,
none returned to late.

Thanks for dropping in...Louise