-

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

It’s Here! It’s International Picnic Day! Time to Play the Picnic Game!

I don’t know whether I’m so eager to “kick off” International Picnic Day this year because we had an unusually frigid Winter or because I am sooooo... ready to welcome Summer! I suppose both reasons are somewhat related. No matter! International Picnic Day has arrived and whether you are celebrating Summer or Winter in your little corner of the world, we’re going on a picnic!

And, here’s a novel way to get you in the Picnic mood courtesy of Betty Crocker’s Celebrate cookbook.

Picnic Game 2014

Can you believe it’s year six of the Picnic Game? For those of you who are joining us for the first time, the “kick off” of the annual virtual Picnic Game is how we celebrate International Picnic Day here at Months of Edible Celebrations. What? You’ve never heard of the Picnic Game? Not to worry, there’s a terrific sample by Howcast which should give you the general idea. Who knows, it may even bring back some childhood memories:)

Of course, we’ve added a few of our own tasty nuances:)

Basically, it's very simple. You choose a letter of the alphabet which matches the title of the dish you would like to bring to the picnic and post it on your blog.
The traditional memory game starts when one player recites: "I'm going on a picnic and I'm bringing an ___."  (a delicious dish) that starts with the letter A; for instance Apple Pie)
The second player says, "I'm going on a picnic, and I'm bringing an Apple Pie. (the same "A" word(s) the first player used, in this case an Apple Pie) and ___." Here's where you add the B word like, Blueberry Muffins.

Each player recites on their blog what the person before is bringing and adds what they're bringing until we reach the end of the alphabet. Not too difficult, right? Of course, if you have any questions, just leave a comment or email me acalenda [at] gmail [dot] com with Picnic Game in the subject line and I’ll do my best to get you toting. If you would like to see any of the previous totes from the past years, I have a Pinterest Picnic Game board you can visit too.
1. Since this is a virtual picnic game, Anyone, Anywhere can play. I do request that recipes be posted in English or have easy access to translation.
2. Choose your letter but don't take too long. The "easy" letters seem to go pretty quickly. Leave a comment on this post with the letter you have chosen. For instance, if you want to bring a dish to the picnic, that begins with the letter "A," your comment must be left before another person chooses that letter. We can only have one letter of the alphabet for each dish.  Note: If you would like to choose a backup letter just in case your chosen letter is taken, that would be GREAT too.

3. I will let you know if you can bring your dish to the picnic by leaving a You're Invited! comment on your blog. "You're Invited" will be your signal to grab a copy of the Picnic Game logo above and prepare a post for the Picnic Game Round-Up. If you really want to get a feel for how the Picnic Game is played, and of course set your eyes on some fine looking “baskets”, you really should visit last year’s International Picnic Day Celebration in honor of National Picnic Month! I’ll be putting last year’s dishes in the side-bar in the coming days:)

Now, here's the difficult part. Since the Picnic Game is listed in alphabetical order, you may feel a bit like a contortionist trying to get your post up while still leaving room for the letters and delicious looking images that will be preceding yours. Just make a mental note and it should all work out fine. I'm always here for any questions and once we get going, I'll have many samples to show you I'm sure:)

Summary

1. Select a recipe that begins with your chosen letter and write a post about it on your blog. You must list what the people before you are bringing. That's why it's called the Picnic Game! I will email you with those links and images, as soon as they are emailed to me.
2. Include the Picnic Day Logo in your post with a link back to this post.
3. Email me at acalenda {at} gmail {dot} com (it would be really nice of you to include Picnic Game in the subject line) In the email please include the following.

a. Your name
b. Your blog's name
c. Your post URL
d. The name of your recipe
e. An image of your dish and also let me know if you give me permission to pass the image along to other picnickers and whether you mind if it is included on Pinterest.

4. If you would like to bring more than one dish to the picnic, you are more than welcome. Just note it in the email and include items C-E for each additional dish.
5. Please email me as soon as you know what you are bringing so I can forward your link to the other picnickers. Please no later than Saturday, June 28, 2013, midnight EST.
6. I will be posting the entire list of Picnic Game recipes by midnight July 1st just in time for National Picnic Month! If for some reason, there are not enough entries by that time, I'll do my best to fill in the blanks.
7. If you would like to host the Picnic Day Game on your blog, and get your visitors involved, be my guest. The more the merrier. Just let me know. (this would require another set of picnic letters from A-Z and a bit of enjoyable work on the part of the hostess:) We'll "link our picnic "blankets" together:)
8. I'll be doing blog updates with available letters and such during the course of "playing."
So, are you ready to play the Picnic Game? Choose a letter, leave a comment and let the toting begin!!!

Just in case you’re debating as to whether you want to play the Picnic Game with us, here’s a Melon and Ginger Basket to get you in the Picnic mood:)


The Book of Hot & Spicy Foods by Louise Steele

Many of you have expressed concern about my "on the mend" injuries. Thank you. I’m actually doing much better since finding just the right chiropractor. She’s amazing! When the doctors mentioned the word surgery, I knew I had to find a another way. So far, so good. As for my broken toe, it too is on the mend. I’m going to try driving this weekend. We’ll see how that goes. Meals have gotten better around here too. Although Marion and I are thrilled to “play” with the Nutribullet, there are just so many meals one can drink! So, I’ve actually begun to cook no fuss meals without too much trouble. Marion is a huge help with the prep work. Boy, oh boy, can that lady whiz a peeler, lol…So, thank you for your concern. We are doing GREAT and I don’t see a problem with keeping up with the Picnic Game this year. Of course, it would be a huge help if picnickers get their letters in as soon as possible:) Louise:)

75 comments:

  1. hello from Hawaii... I would like to bring Chicken Piccata!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Letter C is yours Mae! I can't wait to "taste" your new recipe!

      Delete
  2. Hi Louise, time flies without our knowledge. It's time for Picnic Game 2014. Ok, Louise, I would like to have alphabets B and C. Hopefully it's still available. Thanks Louise and you have a great day ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure does, Ivy! I'm so glad you will be joining us again for the Picnic Game. It's going to be such FUN! The Letter B is yours Ivy but, can you believe the Letter C has already been taken! If you would like another letter, just leave another comment with the letter you would like. Can't wait to see what you're bringing!

      Delete
  3. Hi Louise... Hooray, it's here! If possible I would like B (for Berry Tarts) second choice L (for Lemon Lavender Cupcakes, which I finally think can do...) Getting hungry already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is Inger! Can you believe it!!! It's soooo here that the Letter B has already been "spoken" for. However, I'm delighted to say the Letter L is all yours and quite frankly, I personally am thrilled!!! Lemon Lavendar Cupcakes sound just perfect for the picnic. Thank you so much for playing, Inger:)

      Delete
  4. Hi Louise, Happy International Picnic Day. I just sent you an email with the info, I think...If I could have the letter X for my "Xmas Coconut Cake" , I love this, but I hope I am doing this correctly. Never played last year, so this is my first time...Great post..thanks Blessing on this fabulous day! Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the Picnic Game, Dottie! You are going to have so much fun!! You are gladly invited to bring the Letter X. You will do just fine, I just emailed you some more info:) Welcome Aboard our flying blankets!!!

      Delete
  5. May I have the letter C?
    So pleased you are managing well enough, Louise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry, Barbara, the Letter C has been chosen. You are more than welcome to choose another letter, please, please, please:)

      Delete
  6. I'd like either B, A, or P please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about the Letter P Pam then Marjie will be able to "play" too:)

      Delete
  7. I am so glad that you are doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Letter A if I'm going to play! It's the only new and exciting thing I've cooked lately, and you will love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New AND exciting, Marjie??? That's just what the Picnic Game wants, lol...I'm checking with Pam about the letter A. Will let you know:)

      Delete
  9. And I'm glad to hear that your toe is on the mend. I can believe Marion wields a mean peeler; you ought to have seen my mother in law go to town on potatoes right into her 80s. She's 95 now, and doesn't do much any more. But those "olders" really knew how to peel, even with a paring knife, and not lose any of the food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really does Marjie. I guess I'm a bit surprised to know your mother-in-law was a peeler from way back too, lol...And yes, you are briging the Letter A to the Picnic. Pam was very gracious about taking the Letter P instead:)

      Delete
  10. Im glad you are better dear please take care.
    Im so confuss with the letters.
    I know some letters are ready.
    I will put someones and you tell if is ok
    Let me see

    M

    C

    R
    These I would someone and if are ready tell me what can be!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poor Louise putting in order all these mess:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear!
      Thanks by the letters and I cant wait to see all the recipes dear Louise!

      Delete
    2. Not to worry Gloria, I love putting things in order especially for the Picnic Game! The Letter M is all yours!!! Can't wait to see what you bring:) Thank you for letting Nee have the Letter R:)

      Delete
  12. Hi Louise , glad to hear you are much , much better and Marion is also doing good . I am very excited , this is my second game . Dear Louise I would like to have the letter "R" if that's possible . Thanks so much for sharing and the excitement just keep in mounting ;-D Nee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are slowly coming along Nee. I am so excited that this is your second time playing the Picnic Game too. The Letter R is all yours. Gloria was so sweet to take the Letter M:)

      Delete
    2. Tell Gloria she is a sweetheart ... I did have a back-up letter and if you need it if no picks it I will be happy to share ....the letter is "V" (((HUGS))) Nee

      Delete
  13. Ok let me the m now I see Nee want R is ok.
    M is godd for me dear:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like we're all in sync, Gloria!

      Delete
  14. Interesting idea about the Picnic Game. I bet there will be many delicious dishes made, I look forward to seeing the photos and recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Priscilla!

      So glad you dropped by for the kick-off of the Picnic Game. You are more than welcome to join in on the fun OR, pop by to see how it's going. The Picnic Game Round-up will be July 1st, just in time for Picnic Month! Thank you so much for visiting...

      Delete
  15. Dear Louise, I cannot believe it is June!! The year is flying, flying by!
    The picnic game is fun and so many wonderful dishes to put in the basket.
    Glad to have you back with your cheerful and wonderful way. Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Catherine. June already. Where does the time go, lol...We will have baskets full of goodies. I am so happy I am feeling well enough to be back!

      Delete
  16. Im so glad with M and nee has R:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Gloria, thank you! And Nee thanks you too:)

      Delete
  17. I always enjoy the picnic game! I do have a few things planned that would be appropriate, but whether I can making the timing work out is the question. In any case, I'll be visiting everyone's goodies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll leave room on the blankets for you and the Mrs. John whether you "bring" a dish or just go blanket hopping!!!

      Delete
  18. Thanks Louise for giving me the Letter B. If T is not being taken, may I have T? Glad that you are getting fine. Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Ivy, that's wonderful! The Letters B and T are all yours!!!

      Delete
  19. As I have said by email, E will be great for me. I love the betty crocker photo and wish someone would pack a picnic basket for me complete with the rolled up newspaper - that is classy! Will look forward to the picnic game - but I have to say that today is the coldest day all year and I am not feeling in a picnic mood - thank goodness for virtual picnics in front of the heater :-) Hope you are enjoying some sunshine and just looked at your garden post and it looks great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's GREAT Johanna, the Letter E is yours!!! I wouldn't mind having one of those Saturday Morning Picnic Baskets either. I thought it was pretty cool:) So sorry the weather is not feeling picnicky in your neck of the woods. Sending sunshine your way and thoughts of picnics past:)

      Delete
  20. Just saw that people are posting.. I mentioned B or C for Banana Bread or Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread.. hm.... I can always do K is for Kahlua Truffles or Kahlua Brownies.. or ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The letters are going especially quick this year, Janet. I'll put you down for the letter K. You know how I adore Kahlua anything!

      Delete
  21. Thanks Louise. Once I received your picnic basket, would be bringing B and T dishes for the Picnic Game the soonest possible. Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivy. That will be great. I'll send you the dishes with their letters as soon as I get them! It's going to be one dandy picnic!!!

      Delete
  22. I want to play but don't have time to see what's left! Please assign me the "earliest" letter remaining and I'll just name creatively... I wouldn't miss this for anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the rate these letters are going, Channon, I'll need to do a Picnic Letter update tomorrow! The earliest letter that is left, would you believe, is the Letter D. I'm sure you can come up with a creative name using that letter:) We wouldn't let you miss it for anything!!! I'll email you:)

      Delete
  23. Hi Louise, If Q is not taken I’d like to have it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. How about F? I'll just stick fun in front of the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just can't go wrong with a dish that begins with the Letter F and Fun! It's all yours Barbara!

      Delete
  25. Good morning Louise,
    Woohoo..... picnic time is here! Can I have the letter H?
    Can't wait to go to the picnic!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning, Joyce:)

      Yes indeed, it's that time of year again. Time for the Picnic Game! You most certainly may have the Letter H, Joyce. I can't wait to go to the pcinic either! It's going to be fantastic this year!

      Delete
  26. Louise, I am taking letter L. Laver Egg Omelette. Now let me figure out how to submit.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oops I noticed I am a tad too late. Lena already taken L.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Edith,
      Yes the Letter L has been taken by Inger. Here is a list of the letters that are left: G, I, J, N, O, S, U, V, W, Y and Z Don't worry about how to submit, we will help you:)

      Delete
  28. what a wonderful way of celebrating the joy of picnic day....a beautiful post...so much fun to know...that melon basket recipe you posted is a must for our picnic,so cool,thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Picnics are such fun, Kumar. International Picnic Day is a wonderful way to get each corner of the world on one blanket! So we can all "pig out!"

      Delete
  29. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Howdy Louise! Thanks so much for stopping by to keep me inform. Not sure which letter to pick! Is G still available?
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Kristy!
      We just couldn't play the Picnic Game without letting you know Kristy:) Yes, the Letter G is still available. Shall I put you down for it?

      Delete
  31. Louise, so glad you found a good chiropractor and are on the mend! I've had picnics on my mind lately, didn't know it was International Picnic Day yesterday. The little peach pie I just made would even fit inside my picnic hamper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Picnic Game has been on my mind all year, Jean. Those cute little peach pies of yours are more than welcome to jump into my picnic basket. Better yet, why don't you bake up another little picnicky pie and join us for the Picnic Game! The Letter W for Wee is still open, lol...Thanks for visiting, Jean...

      Delete
  32. Good day louise! Yes please. The letter G is mine then. hehe.... Thanks again. I'm sure you're going to be so busy.... Take care & have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is new to me. My girls love going on picnics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more than welcome to join us Lady Lilith and do bring the girls!!!

      Delete
  34. Glad you're on the mend! And that you'll have a garden full of tomatoes come August! Looking forward to seeing what everyone brings to the picnic this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Replies
    1. Yippee! You certainly may, Geraldine!

      Delete
  36. Is E still a vailable.? If not, H. You can give me any letter if I am too late to pick. Just let me know. I like the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry Chaya, Neither E or H are still available. I'll pop over to your place with the available letters for you to choose:)

      Delete
  37. I am back. How about I which was available last time, I checked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The letters that are left, Chaya as of June 24th are: J, U, V and Y. Sure hope you can make it:)

      Delete
  38. Hi, I'd love D if it is still available! I've read through the comments and hope I didn't miss you saying D is taken! Johanna from Green Gourmet Giraffe told me about the picnic game and I'd love to join this year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Veganopoulous!

      I'm so glad Johanna told you about the picnic. Unfortunately, the letter D is taken. We would love to have you join us if you would like to bring any of these letters; J, U, V or Y. If not, be sure and visit us for the round-up. Just throw a blanket down and pig out. There's always plenty for everyone!

      Delete

Through this wide opened gate,
none came to early,
none returned to late.

Thanks for dropping in...Louise